29 votes (80.55%)
4 votes (11.11%)

36 members have voted

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
October 6th, 2019 at 1:11:36 PM permalink
I'm not following this closely enough to make an informed comment on Postle, but someone mentioned WSOP.

Unless something has changed very recently, the broadcasts are delayed 20 minutes - not just to the public, but to the commentators. The graphics are translated from the raw feed at the time of broadcast, and the commentators are commenting live while watching a delayed feed. The feed itself is not reviewed until the 7 seconds before broadcast, where they're listening for bleep-worthy comments, but otherwise not editing.

Even though their booth is usually on the poker floor, just off from the feature table, they're not watching the live game. It gets a little weird sometimes, when something huge happens in real time, and you hear the roar of the rail birds over the mikes of the commentators. Sometimes they acknowledge that, and usually explain the delay they're using if so, but usually they maintain the fiction that they're working in real time (which they sort of are).

Anyway, this mode of operation is supposed to protect against stuff like this Postel situation. There's nobody who can see or interpret the card data in real time if none of it gets played back before the graphics and commentary are layered on top. So I don't see why this Stones situation would be an indictment of all streamed or broadcast poker.

The only exception would be, I guess, if somehow Postelis intercepting a live wifi broadcast from the table, and his phone is interpreting the data so he can "see" the RFID feed in real time.

Those following it closely, feel free to correct any fact errors I've made.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
October 6th, 2019 at 1:13:16 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I'm not following this closely enough to make an informed comment on Postle, but someone mentioned WSOP.

Unless something has changed very recently, the broadcasts are delayed 20 minutes - not just to the public, but to the commentators. The graphics are translated from the raw feed at the time of broadcast, and the commentators are commenting live while watching a delayed feed. The feed itself is not reviewed until the 7 seconds before broadcast, where they're listening for bleep-worthy comments, but otherwise not editing.

Even though their booth is usually on the poker floor, just off from the feature table, they're not watching the live game. It gets a little weird sometimes, when something huge happens in real time, and you hear the roar of the rail birds over the mikes of the commentators. Sometimes they acknowledge that, and usually explain the delay they're using if so, but usually they maintain the fiction that they're working in real time (which they sort of are).

Anyway, this mode of operation is supposed to protect against stuff like this Postel situation. There's nobody who can see or interpret the card data in real time if none of it gets played back before the graphics and commentary are layered on top. So I don't see why this Stones situation would be an indictment of all streamed or broadcast poker.

The only exception would be, I guess, if somehow Postelis intercepting a live wifi broadcast from the table, and his phone is interpreting the data so he can "see" the RFID feed in real time.

Those following it closely, feel free to correct any fact errors I've made.

There is a 30 minute delay here too, including commentators.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 22
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
October 6th, 2019 at 1:43:39 PM permalink
Axel, apparently Postle had a thing for sports betting and wasnít good at it. The online world seems to think that he owes money and thatís why this started.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
October 6th, 2019 at 3:51:27 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

When Mike Postle First Cheated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/poker/comments/ddzqgp/when_mike_postle_first_cheated/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Not sure if this is related or not.

Yeah someone made a good before and after video. Long (30 min) but interesting. All about phone placement.

Also looks like a lawyer is gathering people that lost to Mike for a civil case.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
October 6th, 2019 at 5:59:54 PM permalink
I have heard a technical expert state that WSOP telecasts are highly secure. They use an armed guard at the areas where the servers acquire and process the hands and they have a different way of handling the editing. They comply with all the Nevada Gaming Commission requirements for Live streaming where Stoners Gaming didn't -Stoners took some short-cuts and were casual about certain aspects of security.

Still, there is no harm in keeping your eyes open at any poker table. If there is a possible way to cheat, eventually someone will try to cheat.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
October 6th, 2019 at 6:11:01 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I have heard a technical expert state that WSOP telecasts are highly secure. They use an armed guard at the areas where the servers acquire and process the hands and they have a different way of handling the editing. They comply with all the Nevada Gaming Commission requirements for Live streaming where Stoners Gaming didn't -Stoners took some short-cuts and were casual about certain aspects of security.

Still, there is no harm in keeping your eyes open at any poker table. If there is a possible way to cheat, eventually someone will try to cheat.

Poker cheats make far more than bank robbers.

No one has ever gonna to jail for cheating at poker.

Do the math
unJon
unJon
October 8th, 2019 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
Lawsuit by the original whistleblower and a bunch of the Stones players has been filed.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A323fafc0-e583-4c19-91be-dc7d1610c53b
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
MaxPen
MaxPen
October 8th, 2019 at 2:18:48 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Lawsuit by the original whistleblower and a bunch of the Stones players has been filed.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A323fafc0-e583-4c19-91be-dc7d1610c53b

They might have a case against the organizer/promoter of the game. Postle probably walks.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
October 8th, 2019 at 2:58:50 PM permalink
The lawsuit lists Kelly Minkin as one of the attorneys. She has made a couple deep runs in the main event and is easy on the eyes.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
October 8th, 2019 at 7:19:19 PM permalink
I didn't see Chris Moneymaker as a plaintiff. He is a friend of Postle but certainly played in many of the games.

I hope Mike Postle, Justin Kuraitis and the Sands Poker Hall all suffer a plague of lawyers and then pay out the ass.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.

• Jump to: