odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 28th, 2016 at 3:22:59 AM permalink
Which of these statements is false when you are dealt exactly 7 cards? One is false, the other are true.

*you are more likely to get a pair than just a high-card hand

*you are more likely to get a straight than 3 of a kind

*you should get a flush about every 33 hands and a full house about every 38

it is false that you are more likely to get a straight than 3 of a kind, but it is fairly close: 1 in 21.74 versus 1 in 20.83 ......... http://people.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/comp20/ I recently have been noting the difference between the 5 card Mississippi Stud and the 7 card UTH and looked some stuff up
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
May 31st, 2016 at 9:00:01 AM permalink
I would think it's fairly intuitive (especially in accordance to a lot of pay tables) that straights are harder than trips =).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 31st, 2016 at 4:05:28 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

I would think it's fairly intuitive (especially in accordance to a lot of pay tables) that straights are harder than trips =).

yes, it would have been quite shocking if that was the 'false' to select, even though the occurrences are pretty close. Then there is the thing about straights being more valuable than flushes in 3 card,, to make a guy wonder if he has a grasp.

edit: oh, wait, I meant to tease that 3 of a kind is more common than a straight and screwed it up ... grrrrrrrrr. I should have had 2 false and one true.

I guess I thought a pair being more common than a 'high card only' might have had some people pick that as the false inclusion. Check out the link, see near the bottom, for an explanation about that.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: