darthxaos
darthxaos
  • Threads: 14
March 25th, 2014 at 9:13:29 PM permalink
How can I learn to calculate pot odds quickly?

I had a poker hand where I ws in cutoff with Ah 7h and the flop came something like Js 10d 8c. I c-bet about a 3rd of the pot (pot was somewhere around 4400, this was live so couldnt be sure cause had to try to count by eyesight), got called by button. Turn came 6h, I check, button bets 1600. My count of the pot is around 7000-something. I figured he had a jack, but couldn't quite figure out if I had the pot odds to call, figuring my outs to be the gutshot and the ace, so 7 outs.

Did I have the pot odds to call?
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
March 25th, 2014 at 9:25:28 PM permalink
I calculate your pot odds at about 18% and your expected value at around 13%. THis would tell me that you should NOT have made the call.

Was this tournament play?

Pot odds are as follows: Add the pot size to the amount of the call. Divide the call size by your answer.
Your expected value here would be your outs.

I don't think there is a shorter way and there are many more things to consider such as implied odds which takes into consideration any future bets. This would have been the case with your example because you were only on the turn.

If you laid it down then good for you.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
  • Jump to: