paisiello
paisiello
Joined: Oct 30, 2011
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 546
February 12th, 2014 at 11:09:41 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

I've never heard of this rule before. I suppose calling to close the action is suspicious, but I at least hope it's restricted to that.


I just asked Matt Savage this very question. TDA rules prohibit any soft playing. However, whether or not the player is actually penalized is left up to the discretion of the tournament director since it's always possible it was an honest mistake.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
February 13th, 2014 at 3:18:18 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

There is collusion all the time, even in the WSOP. A player is all in pre-flop, and 2 other players with bigger stacks call. You can bet your ass that's all the action you'll see. Neither will want to force the other out of the pot and have the all-in player go up against one hand instead of two. Happens all the time, and commentators will even comment about how smart the 2 players are.
Players who always bet and/or raise at almost every opportunity, will check all the way to the river.



Sandbagging is a perfectly legitimate strategy in this spot. But if one of the callers develops a big hand he has no reason to sandbag anymore.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
February 13th, 2014 at 3:25:41 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

In Omaha 8 you often want to call with a nut low if you're going to get quartered.



There is another reason to just call with the nut low in Omaha 8 or Tahoe Split. Sometimes, when you have the nut low but nothing for high, and you have player's behind you who may call with second or third nut low you don't want to drive them out of the pot with a raise. You actually have to do a little acting in this spot. If you automatically call when it's your turn to act it's a tell to them that you have the nut low. So you have to do a little hesitation and act like you are debating with yourself before you call.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
February 13th, 2014 at 3:48:18 AM permalink
The only bracelet Annie Duke ever won at the WSOP was for the 2004 $2000 Omaha 8 event. And, of course, it's one of the things she touts in her publicity statements. But I know something about that event....

I was downstairs sitting in a 10-20 Omaha 8 game at the Horseshoe. Upstairs in Benny's Bullpen the final table was going for the $2000 Omaha 8 event. Whenever I took a break from the game I would go upstairs and railbird the final table. The faces I recognized were Eric Seidel, Robert "Chip Burner" Turner, and Annie Duke. The last time I went upstairs there were just a few players left with Eric Seidel and Annie Duke being two of them.

I was back down in the 10-20 game when someone came down the escalator and announced "Annie got the bracelet!" In a very mean tone the guy sitting next to me said:

"If she had a dick she wouldn't have won it!"
"What do you mean?" I asked. He was agitated and repeated the statement.
"What do you mean by that?" I asked again.

He said "Look, with about 50 players left Annie was in a hand with Robert Turner. It was down on the river. She only had a few chips left. Not even enough to make a full call. She checked. Turner checked behind her and said 'I refuse to take a lady's last chips.' Annie rolled over two pair and the third nut low. Turner rolled over nut-nut. She had to call if he bet! She would have been knocked out!"

"You saw that?" I asked.
"Hell yeah!" he said. "I was sitting at the table watching it. The bitch knocked me out twentieth!"
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14232
February 13th, 2014 at 3:56:22 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The only bracelet Annie Duke ever won at the WSOP was for the 2004 $2000 Omaha 8 event. And, of course, it's one of the things she touts in her publicity statements. But I know something about that event....

I was downstairs sitting in a 10-20 Omaha 8 game at the Horseshoe. Upstairs in Benny's Bullpen the final table was going for the $2000 Omaha 8 event. Whenever I took a break from the game I would go upstairs and railbird the final table. The faces I recognized were Eric Seidel, Robert "Chip Burner" Turner, and Annie Duke. The last time I went upstairs there were just a few players left with Eric Seidel and Annie Duke being two of them.

I was back down in the 10-20 game when someone came down the escalator and announced "Annie got the bracelet!" In a very mean tone the guy sitting next to me said:

"If she had a dick she wouldn't have won it!"
"What do you mean?" I asked. He was agitated and repeated the statement.
"What do you mean by that?" I asked again.

He said "Look, with about 50 players left Annie was in a hand with Robert Turner. It was down on the river. She only had a few chips left. Not even enough to make a full call. She checked. Turner checked behind her and said 'I refuse to take a lady's last chips.' Annie rolled over two pair and the third nut low. Turner rolled over nut-nut. She had to call if he bet! She would have been knocked out!"

"You saw that?" I asked.
"Hell yeah!" he said. "I was sitting at the table watching it. The bitch knocked me out twentieth!"



That is a total classic, mickey. Belongs in a book somewhere for sure. lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
slyther
slyther
Joined: Feb 1, 2010
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 691
February 13th, 2014 at 10:26:11 AM permalink
cool story
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 13th, 2014 at 10:47:46 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

..."You saw that?" I asked.
"Hell yeah!" he said. "I was sitting at the table watching it. The bitch knocked me out twentieth!"



That gentleman would have been Kent Ervin of Salt Lake City, Utah. He finished just ahead of Phil Hellmuth.

The internet indicates Mr. Ervin may have passed away in 2010.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
RogerKint
RogerKint
Joined: Dec 5, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1909
February 13th, 2014 at 10:57:49 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The only bracelet Annie Duke ever won at the WSOP was for the 2004 $2000 Omaha 8 event. And, of course, it's one of the things she touts in her publicity statements. But I know something about that event....



These stories are great but what amazes me more is your memory. I probably drink 1/100th of what you put away and I can't remember last week.
100% risk of ruin
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
February 13th, 2014 at 12:46:07 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

These stories are great but what amazes me more is your memory. I probably drink 1/100th of what you put away and I can't remember last week.



Well, my memory is not perfect. I just googled the results and seen that Robert Turner wasn't at the final table. I had railbirded the entire event when I would take breaks from the 10-20 game. At one point I seen Turner and Duke at the same table, but it must have been long before the final table. And Kent Ervin would have been at that table too, but I never put two and two together about him.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
Joined: Jul 13, 2013
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2299
February 13th, 2014 at 12:47:27 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

That gentleman would have been Kent Ervin of Salt Lake City, Utah. He finished just ahead of Phil Hellmuth. The internet indicates Mr. Ervin may have passed away in 2010.



From the picture that is definitely him. Thanks for digging this up, Ayecarumba.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm

  • Jump to: