98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
August 18th, 2012 at 10:56:09 PM permalink
An ifn your not too lucky, that'll be the cramp in your wallet causing the cramp in your butt.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
PlayHunter
PlayHunter
  • Threads: 67
August 19th, 2012 at 4:49:58 AM permalink
@ P90 (&everyone) there was a site online ago few years (called "duplicatepoker" - search on Youtube for: "duplicate poker tutorial by RIO Poker") but is no longer online since 2010. Anyway, it is a great comparison to dealing same cards to other tables at bridge.

However, I think not only at poker tournaments as a sport but poker ring games (or head to head) as well.. think at chess: chess money games are sports of mind as well as chess tournaments. (anyone decline this ?) - Or at tennis: tennis tournaments are sports competitions, however tennis side games (with a stake or not) or tennis exhibition games are sport single games/ events as well.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
August 19th, 2012 at 8:29:45 AM permalink
There is an international body called SportAccord, which maintains the standing definition for an international sport. It is:

have an element of competition
be in no way harmful to any living creature
not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier
not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

They acknowledge chess and go are mindsports, but the 4th point excludes poker. Not a sport.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 19th, 2012 at 9:17:06 AM permalink
Not a sport.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
August 20th, 2012 at 2:34:58 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

There is an international body called SportAccord, which maintains the standing definition for an international sport. It is:

have an element of competition
be in no way harmful to any living creature
not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier
not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

They acknowledge chess and go are mindsports, but the 4th point excludes poker. Not a sport.

Definition #2 rules out American Football, Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, etc.. The Contestants are at risk of injury, and serious injury.
As a matter of fact, I will exclude all physical sport... it seems that mindsport is the ONLY sport involved in the definition.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 125
August 20th, 2012 at 8:52:51 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

An ifn your not too lucky, that'll be the cramp in your wallet causing the cramp in your butt.

LOL

As with most poker players, I contest that, "Luck," ony had any involvement when I lose.

I don't blame Lady Variance for my poker losses, necessarily, but this is one interesting stat that I have tracked in my limited tournament play.

In tournaments, I've gone all-in, heads-up, (only called by one person) 112 times.

I have been ahead in the hand 96 of those times.

I have lost 42 of those hands, and chopped the pot twice. (If we only cound hands where I was the dog, I should have only lost 16 times!)

EDIT: JFTR, I'm not claiming to have been WAY ahead in all of these hands, but I was way ahead in a good many of them. It's usually two pair or Trips against someone drawing to a Straight/Flush. I've only gone all-in trying to draw a Straight/Flush a handful of times, or less, only hit it once. I'll usually only commit such a play if it is nowhere near cash time and my stack is five BB's or less. The other times I have gone all-in and have been the dog it has usually been me with two pair against someone with a low inside pair that hit Trips, and a few times it was me hitting Trips with a low inside pair vs. someone with Trips with a better (but still low) inside pair.

I got knocked out by a, "Pusher," once. The guy would push all-in on virtually every low rainbow flop, I noticed, to collect the pre-flop action apparently hoping that nobody hit anything. I was satisifed with his play because I knew it was just a matter of time until I would put a slamming on him. I got dealt inside Queens as SB, the table folded, I raised to 5x BB, he called. The flop came low and rainbow, he pushed all-in. He had my stack covered. I called it without hesitation, and it turned out he had 5-7, off, and had made a straight on the flop!!! That was the end of that tournament, for me.
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: