MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 86
October 17th, 2024 at 7:36:05 PM permalink
Last month, my (adult) son, who is clever, asked if someone could buy every possible combination of lottery ticket to ensure a win. Yeah, it's an old idea, but he hadn't heard of it before, so it was original to him. Anyway, I said yes, in theory, but I quickly ran through several logistical challenges in securing and filing 26 million (Texas Lotto) physical pieces of paper, not to mention needing the $26 million to purchase them in the first place, as well as the fact that your win would be reduced by 37% because of taxes.

Well, a group of European gamblers did indeed buy every possible combination of Texas lotto numbers (26 million at $1 each), and won the $95 million jackpot, which paid out around $58M when taken as a lump sum, so they profited by $37M. There were presumably no taxes, as most countries don't tax gambling winnings. (The U.S. is an exception.)

Most reporting was short on details on how they handled the logistics. I figured that it if took 5 seconds to enter each combination, print the ticket, and file it (and swap toner cartridges as needed), I figure that would take 4 years for one person working non-stop. They would have had to have like 500 terminals to get the job done in 72 hours. (There are 72 hours between drawings.)

And if they had 500 terminals, but did they have 500 people working the machines? At $20/hr., that’s about $1M worth of labor, well worth it, but how do you keep the workers from stealing the tickets?

Well, I found another article that said that they did get a retail outlet to order extra terminals, and they wrote an iPad program to generate QR codes so they wouldn't have to physically punch in each combination. My reading of the law is that that's not legal, only "approved" apps can be used wirelessly at a terminal, and the gamblers' app was very much DIY, but Texas officials investigated and said no laws were broken. However, they will no longer allow low-volume retailers to order extra terminals.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/surefire-lotto-texas-win-malta-exec-london-19727984.php
Last edited by: MichaelBluejay on Oct 17, 2024
Presidential Election tracker: https://michaelbluejay.com/election
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 122
October 17th, 2024 at 8:10:30 PM permalink
The Version I Heard was, they had "almost" every combination.
Also, it ran the risk of losing millions of dollars if anyone else got the six numbers as well.

Apologies if this was covered in the article, but it was behind a paywall...anyway, the game they played was Lotto Texas, which is a straightforward 6/54 lotto, which has 25,827,165 possible draws.
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 86
October 17th, 2024 at 8:44:14 PM permalink
With only one split they still would have come out ahead. The prize was $95M as an annuity and $58M as a lump sum, so with a shared prize, each winner would get $29M.
Presidential Election tracker: https://michaelbluejay.com/election
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 123
October 18th, 2024 at 4:07:47 AM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

With only one split they still would have come out ahead. The prize was $95M as an annuity and $58M as a lump sum, so with a shared prize, each winner would get $29M.
link to original post

Aren’t there also a few million $$ in ‘second prizes’ that the syndicate would also win?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 240
October 18th, 2024 at 5:30:21 AM permalink
they may be very smart, and profited by a lot but imo they are ruining the lottery which is intended to be a fun thing for people - not a target for professional gambling organizations

without knowing I would guess that Texas is not happy about this - although they collected lots of $ from the scheme

I don't play the lottery and I won't cry myself to sleep for lottery players - just sayin

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
October 18th, 2024 at 5:34:06 AM permalink
Bad publicity yes, and might dissuade the general public from buying tickets in the future ("What's the use?" "It's rigged!"), but for that particular lottery the state collected all the money they would usually expect PLUS whatever the syndicate put in.

And if they had not all but just "almost" every combination, as mentioned above, they could have lost outright, or if more than one other person hit the big one (three or more total winners), ended in the red.

This is one time where it worked out; mostly you read about times that it did not.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
  • Jump to: