Thread Rating:

teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 41
June 6th, 2021 at 10:01:46 AM permalink
Okay, I recorded myself playing a game of online blitz chess. At LiChess.org I am "Happy_Puppy." It's ugly, but I found it surprisingly easy to comment during the game.

Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
teliot
teliot
June 20th, 2021 at 10:11:57 AM permalink
Anyone interested in a game on LiChess.org, I will be streaming chess starting at 12:15PM today, 06/20/2021, feel free to challenge me. 3/2 only. My LiChess name is Happy_Puppy. Or ask me anything.

https://youtu.be/WxE7yHXPKSI
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1399
Thanks for this post from:
teliot
June 20th, 2021 at 5:18:58 PM permalink
I enjoyed your sample game. Hopefully odiousgambit will take you on. We had a WoV chess tournament years ago and if memory serves me correctly, he won.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
teliot
teliot
August 17th, 2021 at 8:59:57 AM permalink
My current account at LiChess is "DoomerDiaries." According to the computer analysis feature there, I just played a perfect game. In years of having computers analyze my games, this is only the second perfect game I've ever played. Given how complicated the position was at times, this is 100% just dumb luck.

BTW, "perfect" means I didn't make any moves the computer thinks sucked. It does not mean I always played the best move.

Here is the game:

https://lichess.org/WQD9ZpLZ
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 42
September 17th, 2021 at 7:20:59 PM permalink
Nona Gaprindashvili has brought a defamation lawsuit against Netflix over its allegedly defamatory portrayal of her in “The Queen’s Gambit.” She accuses Netflix of “belittling” her achievements as the first woman in chess history to be named a grandmaster. The suit focuses on this short sequence...

“The only unusual thing about her, really, is her sex. And even that’s not unique in Russia. There’s Nona Gaprindashvili, but she’s the female world champion and has never faced men. My guess is Laev was expecting an easy win, and not at all the 27-move thrashing Beth Harmon just gave him.”

Note the camera focuses on an actor who looks like, and is obviously portraying, Gaprindashvili. The trouble is Gaprindashvili had played dozens of men by the time this scene is set in 1968. That year, for example, she placed third in an international tournament defeating seven out of nine opponents. All of them were male.

The suit contends...
Quote: Gaprindashvili lawsuit

Netflix brazenly and deliberately lied about Gaprindashvili’s achievements for the cheap and cynical purpose of ‘heightening the drama’ by making it appear that its fictional hero had managed to do what no other woman, including Gaprindashvili, had done.

Thus, in a story that was supposed to inspire women by showing a young woman competing with men at the highest levels of world chess, Netflix humiliated the one real woman trail blazer who had actually faced and defeated men on the world stage in the same era.

The suit also takes issue with the show inferring she is Russian...

Quote:

Piling on additional insult to injury, Netflix described Gaprindashvili as Russian, despite knowing that she was Georgian, and that Georgians had suffered under Russian domination when part of the Soviet Union, and had been bullied and invaded by Russia thereafter.

Netflix seems surprised...

Quote: Netflix

Netflix has only the utmost respect for Ms. Gaprindashvili and her illustrious career, but we believe this claim has no merit and will vigorously defend the case.

Does Gaprindashvili have a case? Probably not. She was certainly ill treated by the script, but she's also a public figure (the suit is being filed in California). My guess is that, like the chess players in the show, she doesn't have much money and doesn't like Hollywood making millions while slapping her in the face.

She's asking for $5,000,000. I doubt Netflix wants to establish such a precedent, but they could probably settle out of court for a lot less.

Full Story at LA Times
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 202
September 17th, 2021 at 7:42:53 PM permalink
I hope she has no case. She is upset they called someone from the Soviet Union a Russian? That they downplayed her previous achievements to make her accomplishment better than it really was?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
September 17th, 2021 at 7:50:30 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

Okay, I recorded myself playing a game of online blitz chess. At LiChess.org I am "Happy_Puppy." It's ugly, but I found it surprisingly easy to comment during the game.

• link to original post

I liked your game. After playing many social and low-level tournaments over a number of years, I couldn't quite work out why I wasn't improving. I think I finally worked out why. I think it's because chess is a combination of memory and skill. I was purely relying on skill 🤷
    All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard
    • Threads: 1399
    September 18th, 2021 at 5:56:39 AM permalink
    I hope she loses too and do hope Netflix fights it. It would set a terrible precedent for free speech if she won.
    It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 132
    September 18th, 2021 at 6:17:44 AM permalink
    I think they should settle to the extent that Netflix offers a public apology for any facts that were misreported and adds a correction to the end of the offending episode. That seems like it would be reasonable. Maybe a small amount of cash in the settlement, but I don't see how an argument to the extent that the Plaintiff was financially damaged by any of this has any merit, if nothing else, she gained exposure.

I'm also not a lawyer.

Netflix could have obviously just made up a fictitious character in place of the Plaintiff, but clearly enough meant to represent the Plaintiff, and the Plaintiff would have likely had no case whatsoever.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    CharlesMousseau
    CharlesMousseau
    • Threads: 5
    September 18th, 2021 at 7:15:30 AM permalink
    It was clearly a case of bad writing. The obvious intent was to indicate to the viewer why Beth Harmon's achievement (playing for the men's championship) would have been singular despite the existence of a (segregated) women's champion. And while it's inarguable that she was the first woman to be AWARDED the GM title, it is also inarguable that she received preferential treatment in being awarded it -- she did not achieve all the necessary requirements ("norms") but was given it anyways just because, so there's a pretty huge asterisk next to her 'trailblazer' proclamation as first woman to achieve the (open) GM title. The first to ever meet all the necessary norms was Maia Chiburdanidze, although she had been given a similar honorary "GM" title before. Susan Polgar was the first to achieve it in the same way as any man would have to.

If you want to talk about actual trailblazers in women's chess, let's talk Vera Menchik. Upon entering the Carlsbad 1929 tournament, 5th seed Albert Becker derisively suggested that any man who loses to her should be forced to join the "Vera Menchik Club". Shortly after, he became its founding member :D

Or Judit Polgar, who unfortunately gets treated as a bit of a pariah because she not only eschewed the segregated "women's circuit" but became a living rebuke of it. But of course she came after the time the show was set in.

• Jump to: