Thread Rating:

USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 1st, 2020 at 10:14:35 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I just finished the Queens Gambit, great netflix series.
I've been playing a lot of chess on my switch now
I'm a pawn to King 4 opening person my whole life
Been playing a lot on my switch using Queens gambit opening and really loving my position.
The series is fascinating as it uses real historical games picked by Gary Kasporov. I've watched analysis of those games on yourube.

I am very much a fan of the miniseries & binged watched every episode reluctantly :/ But I must admit I've always preferred games that used the King's Gambit since the board state creates some of the most remembered games ;)
Math is the only true form of knowledge
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 50
December 1st, 2020 at 12:52:14 PM permalink
Quote: teliot

Nearly all of it. The speed that the games were played in almost every scene where they showed moves was absurd. As a tournament player and expert, every move I made was carefully written down, double checked, and only after I was fully satisfied did I move the piece. Other players followed similar double checks. Those who blitzed were following an intimidation strategy that almost always got punished.

First I totally agree - every time they played at warp speed I cringed and criticized it to my wife..

But, think of the challenge faced by the people who made this series. We are shown scenes of a competition where none (or an infinitesimal fraction) of the TV audience is really going to understand what is going on. And the pace of a game is deadly slow -typically 2 hours for 40 moves. Yet they want a sense of narrative tension -and they want the movie to be well-paced.

So they showed "Chess on Speed." I didn't like it, but I understand why they did it. Not sure how else they could have created a successful series.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 41
December 2nd, 2020 at 5:59:35 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

First I totally agree - every time they played at warp speed I cringed and criticized it to my wife..

But, think of the challenge faced by the people who made this series. We are shown scenes of a competition where none (or an infinitesimal fraction) of the TV audience is really going to understand what is going on. And the pace of a game is deadly slow -typically 2 hours for 40 moves. Yet they want a sense of narrative tension -and they want the movie to be well-paced.

So they showed "Chess on Speed." I didn't like it, but I understand why they did it. Not sure how else they could have created a successful series.

I think showing the thought required for a single move and the diligence a professional takes in recording and making that move can create a lot of tension as well, and if the position was shown then the knowledgeable watcher might even know the move and root for that move before it is made on the board. All of that was taken away from us by virtue of these blitz sequences in every important game. At least once they should have shown a small piece of tournament reality.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
December 2nd, 2020 at 6:02:09 AM permalink
Quote: teliot

I think showing the thought required for a single move and the diligence a professional takes in recording and making that move can create a lot of tension as well, and if the position was shown then the knowledgeable watcher might even know the move and root for that move before it is made on the board. All of that was taken away from us by virtue of these blitz sequences in every important game. At least once they should have shown a small piece of reality.

That would have increased tension for a much smaller audience and decreased enjoyment for a much larger audience. Easy to see why they made the choice they did.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
teliot
teliot
December 2nd, 2020 at 6:08:22 AM permalink
Duplicate
teliot
teliot
Thanks for this post from:
EdCollins
December 2nd, 2020 at 6:09:30 AM permalink
For those who wonder what a real chess tournament is like, I made this video in 1988 and recently edited it and released it on my personal YouTube channel in 2018 (30 years later!). I used to compete in this tournament every year, but for some reason in 1988 I couldn't compete. For those with no chess tournament experience, you can easily see just how wrong QG got it.

Note the computer -- that was Hans Berliner, competing with his program HiTech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEFytJdQs1M
teliot
teliot
Thanks for this post from:
unJon
December 2nd, 2020 at 8:35:24 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

That would have increased tension for a much smaller audience and decreased enjoyment for a much larger audience. Easy to see why they made the choice they did.

The co-creator, Scott Frank, is an alum of UCSB and is doing a Zoom tomorrow available locally to discuss QG. Hopefully he will address this question. If he does, I'll report back. I don't know if there is any more Zoom space available, but here is the link:

https://www.carseywolf.ucsb.edu/pollock-events/queensgambit/
Last edited by: teliot on Dec 2, 2020
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 202
December 2nd, 2020 at 9:33:04 AM permalink
I had watched the first episode a few weeks ago and was not very excited by it. After reading this thread, I rewatched it and it still left me unimpressed. I will watch episode two and hopefully I can see some spark of what I'm reading here.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 543
December 6th, 2020 at 3:07:22 PM permalink
in the last episode, why did they show her in a Russian movie theater (twice)?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 11th, 2020 at 5:51:19 PM permalink
So I just finished a movie last night that I think is better than Queen's Gambit!!! Not that the story of Beth Harmon isn't as interesting but the writers of this movie are definitely more involved with the game than the writers of Q.G. The movie is called Critical Thinking & unlike QB, you might actually learn something about chess from watching this. Plus I think the story of this movie has a greater underdog since your dealing with broke teenagers in communities where just getting an education is a miracle. Seems like there are a lot of chess lovers here so I hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3kn8a6zTY3E

+ I can't relate to being in a foster home but I definitely can relate to these kids' lives.
Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 11, 2020
Math is the only true form of knowledge

• Jump to: