Thread Rating:

gpac1377
gpac1377
Joined: Apr 7, 2013
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 676
February 22nd, 2014 at 7:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

The winner got screwed over by her showcase opponent in game #3.


Yup, she thought the other bids were all low, so she one-upped the highest amount. It's a common tactic, but I probably wouldn't do it because I'm not cutthroat enough. I would go up by maybe 15 or 20$ to be polite.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
gpac1377
gpac1377
Joined: Apr 7, 2013
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 676
February 22nd, 2014 at 7:29:21 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

I have read up on that more. Pretty sure Drew thinks he cheated. But they never proved it. He read it with zero excitement too.


The best explanation I've heard is that the contestant received the suggested bid amount from the audience, where an "LFaT" named Ted Slauson was seated. (LFaT [Loyal Friend and True] is a nickname for dedicated fans, many of whom keep a running memory of prices.)

Supposedly after the bids, there was an extended stopdown for discussion among the panic-stricken staff, and Drew was probably quite stressed for the resumption to finish the show.

It seems that game shows are super paranoid about cheating. A lot of people thought Michael Larson's actions on Press Your Luck constituted cheating, even though he was simply using his brain.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
gpac1377
gpac1377
Joined: Apr 7, 2013
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 676
February 22nd, 2014 at 7:41:11 AM permalink
Speaking of Press Your Luck, it was generally wrong to pass spins while in 3rd place, and sometimes it was suicidal. The legendary host Peter Tomarken would cleverly avoid dictating strategy by describing scenarios obliquely. ("If you pass and contestant #2 whammies, then contestant #3 is your best friend.")

Here's an example, joined at 16:45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWa3Bk6kc7E#t=16m45s
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 14753
February 22nd, 2014 at 8:23:02 AM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

Speaking of Press Your Luck, it was generally wrong to pass spins while in 3rd place, and sometimes it was suicidal. The legendary host Peter Tomarken would cleverly avoid dictating strategy by describing scenarios obliquely. ("If you pass and contestant #2 whammies, then contestant #3 is your best friend.")

Here's an example, joined at 16:45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWa3Bk6kc7E#t=16m45s



What the Hell was that guy thinking about? He needed x + 1 Spin and only x + 1 Spin, there was no combination of events (after passing that spin) that could have ever conceivably resulted in him winning the game because a Whammy from either contestant would end the game. Even if the second contestant got x + 1 spin and passed it would go to Contestant #3 as having the second most money.

The sad part is, I think I've seen virtually that exact scenario play out before. I remember one explanation being "I didn't want to Whammy," the Hell difference would it make? If you're in third and Whammy, you lose, if you pass your last spin, you lose!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
February 22nd, 2014 at 1:16:37 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What the Hell was that guy thinking about? He needed x + 1 Spin and only x + 1 Spin, there was no combination of events (after passing that spin) that could have ever conceivably resulted in him winning the game because a Whammy from either contestant would end the game. Even if the second contestant got x + 1 spin and passed it would go to Contestant #3 as having the second most money.

The sad part is, I think I've seen virtually that exact scenario play out before. I remember one explanation being "I didn't want to Whammy," the Hell difference would it make? If you're in third and Whammy, you lose, if you pass your last spin, you lose!



That might've been one of the worst decisions I've ever seen on a game show. I watched his face afterwards and I saw no signs of regret or realization he made a mistake. Its almost as though finishing 2nd instead of 3rd had some meaning to him.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
February 22nd, 2014 at 1:23:57 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

That might've been one of the worst decisions I've ever seen on a game show. I watched his face afterwards and I saw no signs of regret or realization he made a mistake. Its almost as though finishing 2nd instead of 3rd had some meaning to him.



Maybe he didnt like the first place guy and wanted the girl to win.

Although, in that case, he should have passed all the spins.
Deucekies
Deucekies
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
  • Threads: 50
  • Posts: 1283
February 22nd, 2014 at 1:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: gpac1377

Yup, she thought the other bids were all low, so she one-upped the highest amount. It's a common tactic, but I probably wouldn't do it because I'm not cutthroat enough. I would go up by maybe 15 or 20$ to be polite.



In 4th position, you only have two viable options: $1 more than the bid that is currently winning, or $1. Anything else takes odds away from you. Always play to win.

Quote: gpac1377

Speaking of Press Your Luck, it was generally wrong to pass spins while in 3rd place, and sometimes it was suicidal. The legendary host Peter Tomarken would cleverly avoid dictating strategy by describing scenarios obliquely. ("If you pass and contestant #2 whammies, then contestant #3 is your best friend.")

Here's an example, joined at 16:45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWa3Bk6kc7E#t=16m45s



The best part of this clip is Jim's indignant response to the dumbass dumb pass, and his swearing tirade after hitting the whammy. If you listen closely, you can actually hear an "S" word.
Last edited by: Deucekies on May 15, 2017
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
gpac1377
gpac1377
Joined: Apr 7, 2013
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 676
February 22nd, 2014 at 2:01:31 PM permalink
Super Password had a bonus round with a lot of buzzer-beating wins. This one features an improbable comeback after a slow start (joined at 3:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjhv3g6hjs#t=03m20s

As an aside, I enjoyed the show for host Bert Convy's unique style of never being in control. He would forget rules, accidentally disclose answers, and generally screw up. The previous episode to the clip above featured an extended moment of chaos nicknamed "The Testimony Incident":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DpPSMS14A
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
98Clubs
98Clubs
Joined: Jun 3, 2010
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 1728
February 22nd, 2014 at 2:44:53 PM permalink
I think the old $25,000 Pyramid had some really good stuff. I don;t have time right now to look em up. Several I remember involved strapping the hands (no gesture rules).
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 132
  • Posts: 14753
February 22nd, 2014 at 2:55:20 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Maybe he didnt like the first place guy and wanted the girl to win.

Although, in that case, he should have passed all the spins.



Perhaps not, but he still had a realistic chance to win the game!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219

  • Jump to: