Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
July 20th, 2021 at 9:35:42 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I don't disagree on your analysis. But you missed one point. We are about to see a very predictable and predicted plunge in world markets and crypto values. Just look at how the charts all fell like a rock in March 2020
That very predictability is an advantage play for anyone who wants to go short, or just sell now, buy back later.

Unlike some, I'm not going to sit on my hands and keep saying 'Yes I knew that would happen' without acting on that foresight.

The best thing about that chart is you could flip it upside down and get almost the same results.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2021 at 9:41:12 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Shawn Tully at Fortune. Click a link once in awhile. I'm sure you're much smarter from your days of living on the subway than anybody at Fortune Magazine. LOL

What do earnings and holdings have to do with each other?

BTW- I've never lived on a subway or pretended to. I did fall asleep on a Long Island Railroad train one Saturday night and end up some thirty miles past my station. but that's a tale for another day.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 203
July 20th, 2021 at 9:56:03 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

making money during an all-time bull run is not a particularly challenging proposition. If my portfolio is up 36% for the year, does that make me smarter

my portfolio has gone way up over many years by buying and holding index funds
other than that I've done nothing at all

𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐔𝐒.........................?...............................(~:/

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2021 at 10:00:13 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

my portfolio has gone way up over many years by buying and holding index funds
other than that I've done nothing at all

𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐔𝐒.........................?...............................(~:/

I've no idea if you are a genius or not, but not bragging about things you have little control over certainly puts you solidly on the path to enlightenment.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 51
July 20th, 2021 at 10:16:41 AM permalink

I've no idea if you are a genius or not, but not bragging about things you have little control over certainly puts you solidly on the path to enlightenment.

Lest you think I was bragging. That was a chart of the dow, not my net worth. My BTC holding is taking a bath, just like others here.
All I'm alluding to is what I see as history repeating itself comparing our international dire straits now compared to last March

$:o)
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 20th, 2021 at 10:52:03 AM permalink

What do earnings and holdings have to do with each other?

Your question is unintelligible for being so vague and I am not sure if you are clueless about GAAP or not.

I’ll start with this sentence and you can tell me if it hits concepts you have familiarity with: A flow is a change in stocks.

Too basic or too advanced?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
July 20th, 2021 at 11:02:10 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Bill Ryan lived on the subway?

LOL I automatically assumed it was you and I was in a hurry. Sorry to insult him like that, being accused of living on a subway
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2021 at 11:02:57 AM permalink
bitcoin= cash on hand. What does that have to do with earnings?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 20th, 2021 at 11:06:34 AM permalink

bitcoin= cash on hand. What does that have to do with earnings?

This statement indicates a lack of understanding of GAAP so I’ll assume my sentence was too advanced.

Let’s start with this: Bitcoin is not a cash equivalent under GAAP. Even assuming your statement was correct, things that are “cash on hand” need to be converted to the “reporting currency” under GAAP. So every quarter, the Bitcoin gets converted to dollars. That dollar change is a change in a stock that leads to a flow, either a gain or a loss.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2021 at 11:14:23 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Lest you think I was bragging. That was a chart of the dow, not my net worth. My BTC holding is taking a bath, just like others here.
All I'm alluding to is what I see as history repeating itself comparing our international dire straits now compared to last March

$:o)

Flip your chart and what would you see? On another forum, a self-made multi-millionaire is predicting a rubber band rebound to $43,000 by Labor Day.
Was reading about a bunch of investors who pledged $200,000 each towards building a condo on the island of Grenada. For some reason, their money was being held in bitcoin and the original $2.8 million is only worth $1.6 and they either have to make up the difference or default on the project. Surprisingly most of the younger investors were unfazed and the older ones were horrified.

• Jump to: