Dyvan13
Dyvan13
  • Threads: 52
June 3rd, 2024 at 5:29:13 PM permalink
Good afternoon!

My buddies and I like to get together, drink some beers and shoot some dice on weekends. We take turns being “the bank” and we pay true odds on all bets. Is there a (practical) way to modify the payouts on pass line and don’t pass so there is Zero house edge? We have just eliminated those bets from our sessions b/c of the unequal odds

Thank you!
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 269
June 3rd, 2024 at 6:16:03 PM permalink
Quote: Dyvan13

Good afternoon!

My buddies and I like to get together, drink some beers and shoot some dice on weekends. We take turns being “the bank” and we pay true odds on all bets. Is there a (practical) way to modify the payouts on pass line and don’t pass so there is Zero house edge? We have just eliminated those bets from our sessions b/c of the unequal odds

Thank you!
link to original post

have you consulted an AI yet?
zbrownson
zbrownson
  • Threads: 11
Thanked by
Dyvan13
June 3rd, 2024 at 6:31:37 PM permalink
You have a house edge of 1.414% on that bet. If you modify the come out roll to only lose half a unit if a 2 is rolled for craps, you would get back 0.013889% in edge, making the new edge basically zero at 0.025%. You could do the opposite on the don't come/pass and have the 2 only pay half a unit in that scenario.
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Dyvan13
June 3rd, 2024 at 6:33:25 PM permalink
You can get perfectly fair odds for the pass line bets by adjusting the pass line payouts for rolling a 12 upwards to make up the house edge. You get pretty close to 100% RTP by paying a half unit on Pass and 1.5 units for Don't Pass. The exact number is not a convenient fraction for purposes of payouts.
Gambling is a math contest where the score is tracked in dollars. Try not to get a negative score.
Dyvan13
Dyvan13
  • Threads: 52
June 3rd, 2024 at 6:49:29 PM permalink
Quote: zbrownson

You have a house edge of 1.414% on that bet. If you modify the come out roll to only lose half a unit if a 2 is rolled for craps, you would get back 0.013889% in edge, making the new edge basically zero at 0.025%. You could do the opposite on the don't come/pass and have the 2 only pay half a unit in that scenario.
link to original post

Does the math really work out that way though? It seems simple enough, but I know the probability gets complex with these multi-roll bets with multiple win-lose scenarios.

What about this; on a come-out roll 12, the Passline only loses 1/2 a unit and the Don’t Pass wins 1/2 unit?
zbrownson
zbrownson
  • Threads: 11
June 3rd, 2024 at 7:00:46 PM permalink
Quote: Dyvan13

Quote: zbrownson

link to original post

Ment
Does the math really work out that way though? It seems simple enough, but I know the probability gets complex with these multi-roll bets with multiple win-lose scenarios.

What about this; on a come-out roll 12, the Passline only loses 1/2 a unit and the Don’t Pass wins 1/2 unit?
link to original post

the half unit changes the house edge by 1/72, or 1.3889% which is very close to the actual house edge of these bets. So ya you could do it on the 12 instead. I misspoke on the don't pass, as Mental suggests that scenario should pay 3:2 (add an extra half unit) to the payout.
  • Jump to: