wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
  • Threads: 13
August 8th, 2022 at 9:41:43 PM permalink
I had a good day at craps last week but I'm not sure if I broke any house rules. I got up quite a bit and left some chips in the dice shooters area where his chips were in appreciation. Not on the board but on the rail where players chips are kept when not in action. The dealers did not say anything because I would 'toke' them also when I had good strings of rolls going. So looking back on it were they just letting it slide or is that OK? I know at blackjack with house money or pair square, dealers don't let players offer to play another players bonus. But I wasn't asking the other players for anything in return. It was a courtesy thank you for having good rolls going while I was cashing in. Is this frowned upon and should I stop doing it? I just don't want to get on the watch list for doing anything inappropriate...
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
August 8th, 2022 at 9:48:09 PM permalink
I'm not sure where you placed the tip when you colored up but normally you'd throw the chips toward the box and say something like for the crew, for the dealers, or just thank you.

If you left your chips on the table at your players position there could have been some discussion about the intent. Were they chips you forgot to pick up?

Theres even the possibility your chips were considered as forgotten and they're sitting at that craps table by the bank with an off button on them.

It never hurts to make an oral declaration when tipping the dealers.
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
August 8th, 2022 at 10:09:32 PM permalink
Thanks. When I tipped dealers I would tell them tokes for the crew and put them on the table when it was OFF.
The dealers were great and letting me back up my pass line bets with odds bets cause they paid more. They would
even tell me exactly how much more to make their payouts easier at 7-6 usually. I was just playing the pass line with
odds on the 6 and 8 also.

What I mean is I was tipping the dice shooters as well - just handing my out of play chips in the direction of their spot
at the table. I gave a player a few chips now and again. Not on the table, but in the racks where players have their out
of play chips. The tables have racks behind the rail for excess chips. Thats what I'm wondering about. If its ok to give
other players chips basically as tips as well or if that is a table no-no...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 8th, 2022 at 10:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: wizardofbuffalo

Thanks. When I tipped dealers I would tell them tokes for the crew and put them on the table when it was OFF.
The dealers were great and letting me back up my pass line bets with odds bets cause they paid more. They would
even tell me exactly how much more to make their payouts easier at 7-6 usually. I was just playing the pass line with
odds on the 6 and 8 also.

What I mean is I was tipping the dice shooters as well - just handing my out of play chips in the direction of their spot
at the table. I gave a player a few chips now and again. Not on the table, but in the racks where players have their out
of play chips. The tables have racks behind the rail for excess chips. Thats what I'm wondering about. If its ok to give
other players chips basically as tips as well or if that is a table no-no...
link to original post

Not an expert….. but I’ve seen that many times without a squeak from a dealer…. So should be ok. Why you would choose to give your money away is another discussion…,
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
August 8th, 2022 at 10:32:55 PM permalink
Lets just say I bought in for 400 and cashed out like 8K. I was very happy and wanted to thank the guys at the
table helping it happen by rolling 6 and 8 multiple times before bonking out with the 7. I was drunk, and super
excited at winning big bets... :)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 8th, 2022 at 10:43:36 PM permalink
Quote: wizardofbuffalo

Lets just say I bought in for 400 and cashed out like 8K. I was very happy and wanted to thank the guys at the
table helping it happen by rolling 6 and 8 multiple times before bonking out with the 7. I was drunk, and super
excited at winning big bets... :)
link to original post

Good score! Downtown or Seneca Niagara?

My point is this…. if you made $7k+ on the roll, didn’t the guy you tip also make a bunch without the tip? But bottom line, if that tip makes YOU feel good, it was a good tip!
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
August 8th, 2022 at 10:53:14 PM permalink
Major score. It wasn't all on that roll but I was the hot player betting heavier and the other guys were barely staying in with smaller bets so when I hit I liked to help them out to keep the table chemistry. I tip for drinks too. The ladies usually get pinks for drinks I sometimes go up to red and green when I'm looking to keep the table mojo flowing... :) It might have been at the Creek...
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
August 8th, 2022 at 11:06:02 PM permalink
Tipping the shooter is okay. No rule against it.

I still dont understand your original question.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
August 8th, 2022 at 11:27:37 PM permalink
I like betting the passline and especially DP for the dealers, often when I’m shooting.

I believe it’s one of their favorites since they get some action and 98.6% of the tip, on average. Sometimes they’ll say “dealers on the line”

When I color up I’ll leave another tip if it’s been a good session. Never been any ambiguity
It’s all about making that GTA
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
camapl
August 8th, 2022 at 11:57:13 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Tipping the shooter is okay. No rule against it.

I still dont understand your original question.
link to original post

Here's how I understand it:
1. OP was winning a ton (like 20x buy-in)
2. He toked the dealers either directly or on the layout, was understood, and appreciated.
3. He tipped the shooter by actually placing chips in the shooter's rack.
4. OP wanted to know if he "broke house rules" or etiquette for #3.

Tipping the shooter is rare, but it does happen. I was tipped once by hitting Small and Tall and thus, All. A quarter, but hey, it was fun. One thing I'll never do, though, is get anywhere near another player's chip rack. That's like their wallet. I've had a railbird try to siphon off my chips once about 15 years ago. Dealers say her and tossed her. Now, since the OP admitted they were intoxicated and winning big, the OP might have been very obvious in putting the tip in the rack. Still, I'd try to avoid doing it that way. It's like trying to put money into a lady's purse. It's a personal space violation.

Tipping the shooter is easy. First, get the shooter's attention, then lob the cheques/chips to land on the layout in front of them, and announce "For the shooter!" This makes it clear to the stick and dealers that you were sending a tip to the shooter. That way, if the shooter missed the shout and looks down at the cheques in front of him and says "What's this?" the dealers can tell him it's a tip and indicate who the tipper was.

But what if you wanted to tip the shooter on the layout? I've seen two ways this is done. Suppose the last number for the Small bet was the four. You could say "table min for the shooter on four", and it gets marked up, even if the shooter is on the other half of the table. Same scenario, but let's say you wanted the dealers in on this as well. Then you can drop the bet and call "three-way on the four." and the bet will be for you, the dealers, and the shooter. This is most often done on the prop bets in the center.

Biggest shooter tip I saw? $500--the bettor was dropping table max hopping boxcars and it came up on the fourth roll. 15k payout. He lobbed the purple chip to the shooter with his thanks. Bethlehem, PA, back when it was the Sands. Bettor was some NBA type, cash bettting, walked away after the win.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
August 9th, 2022 at 2:28:37 AM permalink
Never put your fingers near anyone else's chips in the rail. That's one way to get a fist in the mouth.

Yes, you can throw chips to the shooter. You can place bets for the shooter. But you never, never, never go near another person's chips.

I guess it's different at Red Rock. Shooters get tipped all the time. My last visit a week ago I was tipped heavily because there were three players betting $25 on the All Tall Small and I hit it twice -- but not in succession.

About a year ago a DP player had $1000 on the DP and $200 on 12. I rolled two 12s on the come out and the second time he tossed me $500 (purple). My record high for a tip.

Theres a regular player at Red Rock who routinely makes 3-way hardway bets: $25 for himself, $10 for dealers, $5 for shooters. And when they hit he presses them up.

I've also tipped shooters who make the ALL.

I think the demographic at Red Rock skews to higher income.
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
August 9th, 2022 at 7:34:47 AM permalink
Thank you all for the clarification. I was doing the right thing. I didn't really go near the shooters chip rack or chips as he was mainly holding them. I got eye contact and slid them in his direction and he picked them up. No worries about me getting punched in the face. Thats happened for the last time. Next time somebody is dead...
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
August 9th, 2022 at 9:01:51 AM permalink
I agree with the sentiments that you never encroach on another player's space (or chip area).

I've only ever once been "tipped" as shooter, but that was because while I made (back) £300 the player opposite was making over £10k. What he did, as it happens on my penultimate point made, was to place, via the dealers, £25 on the Hard 8 for me (I think he had been picking up lots of £1900 (to £200) ). (There's sound logic, albeit not mathematical, and that is I stand to win so will be trying very hard to throw the hard 8!) Before you ask, I threw the easy 8!
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
August 9th, 2022 at 11:47:18 PM permalink
From time to time some professional golfers stay at Red Rock.

One golfer-- I dont know his name-- has a simple betting system: minimum on the pass (usually $15) and $1000 on the hard 8.

You'd think he'd also place the 8 but no -- only $1000 on the hard 8.

And he curses every time he loses his $20k buy in.
pwcrabb
pwcrabb 
  • Threads: 4
August 12th, 2022 at 11:21:53 PM permalink
Astounding how often highly competent professionals at other games choose craps as their nemesis. PGA golfers, NBA ballers, WSOP bracelet winners and other top flight competitors find their doom playing foolishly at dice.
"I suppose I was mad. Every great genius is mad upon the subject in which he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called a lunatic." Fitz-James O'Brien, The Diamond Lens (1858)
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
August 13th, 2022 at 4:54:06 AM permalink
Quote: pwcrabb

Astounding how often highly competent professionals at other games choose craps as their nemesis. PGA golfers, NBA ballers, WSOP bracelet winners and other top flight competitors find their doom playing foolishly at dice.
link to original post

You've made a judgment. You call it playing foolishly.

Is it foolish or just something you and I wouldn't do?
pwcrabb
pwcrabb 
  • Threads: 4
August 13th, 2022 at 8:37:39 AM permalink
Alan has a point. Labeling as foolish those players who select Bets with high House Advantages, or who make overlarge Wagers to impress companions, or who Chase their losses, is perhaps too harsh. Perhaps those players simply seek gratification and willfully disregard price.

Perhaps also I overemphasize the role of Craps. Sports books and Poker and Blackjack have destroyed their shares of people who presume competence outside their own fields of excellence.
Last edited by: pwcrabb on Aug 13, 2022
"I suppose I was mad. Every great genius is mad upon the subject in which he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called a lunatic." Fitz-James O'Brien, The Diamond Lens (1858)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 13th, 2022 at 9:43:18 AM permalink
Quote: pwcrabb

Astounding how often highly competent professionals at other games choose craps as their nemesis.

Why is that "astounding?"

People love to gamble and craps and golf are both "old school" games with storied histories.

The questions worth asking is "Why does anybody gamble to the point of financial ruin, and what could be done to prevent it?"
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
camapl
August 13th, 2022 at 1:45:35 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

"Why does anybody gamble to the point of financial ruin, and what could be done to prevent it?"

Just win.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
cowboy
cowboy
  • Threads: 6
August 15th, 2022 at 12:34:05 PM permalink
I have been tipped at least three times on the Strip. The most was at the Flamingo when I made the all-all. It was down to just needing the 5 when I realized the guy with $25 on each of the All, Tall and Small had been topping up my place bets by handing the chips to the dealer and asking him to add them. When the 5 hit he threw me a $100 as well. We were at the same end of the table so there was no misunderstanding his intent. Being a conservative bettor I cashed out around $750, whereas he had made over $5K.

At the Cosmopolitan I must have hit three hard tens in a row (I almost never bet the hard ways and wasn't that time) but the guy at the far end of the table was likely running a parlay because all of a sudden a green landed on the felt right in front of me. Guess he was good at tossing chips. Dealers said nothing.
camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
August 15th, 2022 at 2:08:29 PM permalink
Quote: cowboy

…all of a sudden a green landed on the felt right in front of me. Guess he was good at tossing chips. Dealers said nothing.
link to original post

No heat for CI (chip influencer)?
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
  • Jump to: