Yoyomama
Yoyomama
Joined: Oct 11, 2010
  • Threads: 47
  • Posts: 208
January 21st, 2020 at 3:01:20 AM permalink
Where's the best place to shoot craps in Vegas AND the best way to get CASH. Many years ago, when I was last in Vegas, it was expensive to get cash advances from Credit/Debit card. Any cheaper ways to get cash? I'm coming in from New York this weekend. Thank you.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 21st, 2020 at 6:55:33 AM permalink
Where do you bank? There's a high overlap between banks with branches in NY and banks with branches in Las Vegas. You could just go to the counter of a Vegas branch. BofA would be my preference for this, but Wells Fargo and Chase also work.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 21st, 2020 at 7:23:09 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

Where's the best place to shoot craps in Vegas AND the best way to get CASH. Many years ago, when I was last in Vegas, it was expensive to get cash advances from Credit/Debit card. Any cheaper ways to get cash? I'm coming in from New York this weekend. Thank you.


Too late for this trip, but you could also apply for a line of credit at your favorite casino(s). No fees (unless you're late paying it back, of course), zero interest loan.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 5387
January 21st, 2020 at 7:59:15 AM permalink
As rdw said, the easiest, cheapest thing to do is just go to a bank when you get into town.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
January 21st, 2020 at 8:26:56 AM permalink
Where is the closest Chase to the strip? Without a car, you are probably looking at $20-25 in cab fare, so it certainly isn't the cheapest option.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 16533
January 21st, 2020 at 8:34:56 AM permalink
East Sahara, West Sahara, East Flamingo. Reasonable walk, imo.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 21st, 2020 at 8:38:08 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Where is the closest Chase to the strip? Without a car, you are probably looking at $20-25 in cab fare, so it certainly isn't the cheapest option.



I'd go to the one at Tropicana & Jones. I think there's a bus stop there in front of the Smiths. Uber fare is maybe $8 ($16 round trip)? it's also borderline walkable - little under 2 miles west of the strip.

There's also the downtown branch on Bonneville at LVB. That's an easy walk from Fremont Street.

Edit: but, like I said, my preference would be to use BofA for this - spring mountain & Wynn rd and Trop & Decatur are easy to get to.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14246
January 21st, 2020 at 8:38:09 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Where is the closest Chase to the strip? Without a car, you are probably looking at $20-25 in cab fare, so it certainly isn't the cheapest option.



There are 38 branches of Chase (about 6 are ATM only) in Las Vegas (including the strip, technically not in the city). Closest to the Strip appear to be 6-8 blocks east, on Flamingo or Tropicana. They're in strip malls in a lot of cases, just a small storefront teller.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 1131
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
January 21st, 2020 at 9:03:40 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

Where's the best place to shoot craps in Vegas AND the best way to get CASH.



Nobody applied Boolean criteria in their answers! :D

(I just like saying Boolean. Boolean, Boolean, Boolean!)
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 1131
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146Yoyomama
January 21st, 2020 at 9:10:48 AM permalink
Main Street Station has 20x odds, a $5 min bet/$1,000 max bet, and pays triple on box cars, based on the Wizard's craps surveyóAND it's a 13-minute walk (0.6 miles) to a Citibank ATM!

Boolean!
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
January 21st, 2020 at 9:50:51 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

There are 38 branches of Chase (about 6 are ATM only) in Las Vegas (including the strip, technically not in the city). Closest to the Strip appear to be 6-8 blocks east, on Flamingo or Tropicana. They're in strip malls in a lot of cases, just a small storefront teller.



Do you want to walk six to eight blocks east on either of those? Either in heat of the day or the dark on night? Is wasting an hour walking there an effective use of your gambling time in order to save a $6 ATM fee?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 21st, 2020 at 9:55:44 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Do you want to walk six to eight blocks east on either of those? Either in heat of the day or the dark on night? Is wasting an hour walking there an effective use of your gambling time in order to save a $6 ATM fee?



I guess I made the assumption that the desired amount of cash was more than an ATM would dispense. If that's not the case, the on-site ATM is best even with casino-level fees. But I think the part about the costs for debit/credit advances was meant to indicate that a transaction with the cashier was happening & that only makes any sense at all if it's a transaction over the ATM limit.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Mission146
Mission146
Joined: May 15, 2012
  • Threads: 139
  • Posts: 16533
Thanks for this post from:
ForagerOnceDearJoemanbeachbumbabs
January 21st, 2020 at 10:36:21 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Do you want to walk six to eight blocks east on either of those? Either in heat of the day or the dark on night? Is wasting an hour walking there an effective use of your gambling time in order to save a $6 ATM fee?



Would depend on the expected loss per hour of the game! Walking could be the best monetary proposition in every respect!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Joeman
Joeman 
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 2377
Thanks for this post from:
Yoyomama
January 21st, 2020 at 11:19:23 AM permalink
If you are heading out this weekend, it's probably too late to open an account, but there are some banks that reimburse ATM fees.

Also, what do you mean "best" place to shoot craps? The best odds (100x) is at the Cromwell. The lowest minimums can be found at Jokers Wild out in Henderson (you probably would want a car to get there) -- $1 during the week, and $2 on the weekends. As mentioned upthread, MSS has a good combination of $5 minimum and 20x odds.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
Thanks for this post from:
Yoyomama
January 21st, 2020 at 11:24:22 AM permalink
Need to factor in the "walking through a sketchy place with a wad of cash" factor. That's got to be worth a few bucks. Note that Wells Fargo's Saturday hours are only 10 am - 2 pm.

Why not just bring the cash with you? Carrying five figure amounts discreetly on your person is not a big deal.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 21st, 2020 at 11:52:31 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Why not just bring the cash with you? Carrying five figure amounts discreetly on your person is not a big deal.


Agreed. This is what I've always done, up to $19k for my biggest roll. I used to bank at Wells Fargo but the Vegas branch hours never worked out combined with my travel plans (i.e. coming in after they close, need cash to gamble right away obviously).

OP could be a true high roller. I would probably draw the line around $50k. At that point if I were not doing some kind of AP, I would set up a line of credit. If doing AP, well. I guess the line is a lot higher :P. Or just bring a smaller amount on my person, and plan a trip to the branch when they open.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
Joined: Oct 11, 2010
  • Threads: 47
  • Posts: 208
January 22nd, 2020 at 4:06:20 AM permalink
Thanks! I was planning on heading out that way anyhow and I have a Citibank card.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14246
Thanks for this post from:
ChumpChange
January 22nd, 2020 at 10:28:40 AM permalink
Idk your planned br amount, or your relationship with various casinos, but there is another option. I can write a check at the cage for 4 figures without any service fee, that goes thru the same type validation as any other merchant runs. I have a 30 year relationship with them and a higher-tier status, and am usually staying on property with a credit card on file at the front desk (normal check-in procedure).

So you might make a phone call or two and find out if your destination offers this, and what their limits are. I'm sure it varies by customer.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
Joined: Sep 23, 2014
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 483
Thanks for this post from:
ChumpChange
January 22nd, 2020 at 10:59:54 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I can write a check at the cage for 4 figures without any service fee, that goes thru the same type validation as any other merchant runs.



Will they let you do that as front money? Iím tired of carrying cash through the airport hoping I donít get hit with a random inspection and having to explain the cash. Civil forfeiture is a damn pain.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1186
January 22nd, 2020 at 11:32:23 AM permalink
A planned trip to Vegas and you are wondering where to get cash?

Um....why not just bring it with you?

Concerned about where to get it in neighborhoods you donít know seems like not a good plan.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
January 22nd, 2020 at 12:35:58 PM permalink
Quote: SiegfriedRoy

Will they let you do that as front money? Iím tired of carrying cash through the airport hoping I donít get hit with a random inspection and having to explain the cash. Civil forfeiture is a damn pain.



One time I was going through the airport in Texas on my way to Vegas and I had over $230,000 in my carry on bag. I was a little nervous but it was all legitimate. My bag went through xray and got flagged for a check. I became nervous. I hadn't realized that my business partner put a bag of coins in my carry on. A bag of coins looks like a suspicious metal blob on the xray. They opened my bag and saw the bag of coins and let it pass through without any further inspection.

Lesson: Never put a bag of coins in your bag if you are carrying lots of cash.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TDVegas
TDVegas
Joined: Oct 30, 2018
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 1186
January 22nd, 2020 at 12:44:14 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

One time I was going through the airport in Texas on my way to Vegas and I had over $230,000 in my carry on bag. I was a little nervous but it was all legitimate. My bag went through xray and got flagged for a check. I became nervous. I hadn't realized that my business partner put a bag of coins in my carry on. A bag of coins looks like a suspicious metal blob on the xray. They opened my bag and saw the bag of coins and let it pass through without any further inspection.

Lesson: Never put a bag of coins in your bag if you are carrying lots of cash.


My old man was an engineer and made pretty decent coin. Not carry around a quarter of a mil in cash decent coin.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
January 22nd, 2020 at 1:14:50 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

My old man was an engineer and made pretty decent coin. Not carry around a quarter of a mil in cash decent coin.



That was a special occassion, I have only had large sums of cash on me like that twice. Once was much more but I was just the courier, it wasn't mine,
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 4484
January 22nd, 2020 at 11:22:11 PM permalink
Say you win 6 figures on a crap game but you have no bank account in Vegas. Do you just walk into some Too Big To Fail Bank that has no branches within 100 miles of your home and open an account and deposit the money before you go through an airport where asset forfeiture is the way they do business there?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
January 23rd, 2020 at 12:06:21 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Say you win 6 figures on a crap game but you have no bank account in Vegas. Do you just walk into some Too Big To Fail Bank that has no branches within 100 miles of your home and open an account and deposit the money before you go through an airport where asset forfeiture is the way they do business there?



The cage will write you a check. You can also put your cash in their safe while you are a guest. Your host (if you win six figures and donít already have one, one will find you) will make it easy for you to keep your funds with them.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
sodawater
sodawater
Joined: May 14, 2012
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3321
January 23rd, 2020 at 12:36:22 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The cage will write you a check. You can also put your cash in their safe while you are a guest. Your host (if you win six figures and donít already have one, one will find you) will make it easy for you to keep your funds with them.



You could even use your bank's mobile app to deposit the check before you even leave the casino.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
January 23rd, 2020 at 6:06:45 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

You could even use your bank's mobile app to deposit the check before you even leave the casino.



Have fun depositing a large check via your cell phone. Most limit deposits to under 2K.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
January 23rd, 2020 at 7:45:19 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Have fun depositing a large check via your cell phone. Most limit deposits to under 2K.



My Wells Fargo app allows me to deposit $50k a week via the app. I have never tested that limit.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
Joined: Sep 23, 2014
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 483
January 23rd, 2020 at 8:55:07 AM permalink
Some casinos will also agree to wire it. However, the cashiers are hesitant because it involves a lot more paperwork than just getting a check for you. Casinos prefer to give you cash because they think they have a chance back at getting their money back thinking you may wager some more if you had cash readily available.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 4484
January 23rd, 2020 at 9:14:35 AM permalink
Is there a limit on how much front money you can rack up on a winning streak? Is there a limit for how much front money you can use at the tables? Like can I use front money to buy-in at a table for $100K, then win to $500K, and put that $400K profit into the front money pot, then play again?

What's the Difference Between Casino Credit and Front Money? | Las Vegas Advisor https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/question/casino-front-money/
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 23rd, 2020 at 9:23:19 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

One time I was going through the airport in Texas on my way to Vegas and I had over $230,000 in my carry on bag. I was a little nervous but it was all legitimate. My bag went through xray and got flagged for a check. I became nervous. I hadn't realized that my business partner put a bag of coins in my carry on. A bag of coins looks like a suspicious metal blob on the xray. They opened my bag and saw the bag of coins and let it pass through without any further inspection.

Lesson: Never put a bag of coins in your bag if you are carrying lots of cash.


Hah yep, I usually bring a few rolls of dollar coins to Vegas which I use as drink tips (easier to keep boozing spend separate from gambling spend this way, versus using chips). I do remember one time when my bag got flagged specifically because of those coins. As luck would have it, I remember distinctly that my (paper) cash bankroll was in a different bag that time.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 23rd, 2020 at 9:25:44 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

You could even use your bank's mobile app to deposit the check before you even leave the casino.


Usually there is a max on these deposits. At one of my previous banks it was a couple thousand bucks - I remember clearly because at the time I was being paid with an actual paper check (UGH) and it was over the limit. Had to schlep it down there once a month.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
ten2win
ten2win
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 331
January 23rd, 2020 at 10:07:04 AM permalink
I bank with USAA.

No physical bank.

$100,000 per day limit on mobile deposits.

Take picture of check->send to bank->verify->in account for use within minutes.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
January 23rd, 2020 at 10:36:42 AM permalink
Quote: ten2win

I bank with USAA.

No physical bank.

$100,000 per day limit on mobile deposits.

Take picture of check->send to bank->verify->in account for use within minutes.



Do they cover ATM withdrawl fees? How much cash can you access via ATM per transaction/per day?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ten2win
ten2win
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 331
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
January 23rd, 2020 at 6:24:26 PM permalink
Yes, they do. Up to 10 per month.

You have the ability to customize your withdrawal amounts per transaction and per day.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 24th, 2020 at 7:37:11 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My Wells Fargo app allows me to deposit $50k a week via the app. I have never tested that limit.


Quote: ten2win

I bank with USAA.

No physical bank.

$100,000 per day limit on mobile deposits.

Take picture of check->send to bank->verify->in account for use within minutes.


Both of you have mentioned a daily or weekly limit. Do either of you know if they have a separate, lower limit for individual checks? I would be surprised if Wells Fargo would take a mobile deposit for a $40,000 check. 40 different $1000 checks I would believe, but I bet they have a lower limit per check. Just my hunch.

For USAA, since they have no physical branches, probably have to be looser.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
January 24th, 2020 at 7:47:39 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Both of you have mentioned a daily or weekly limit. Do either of you know if they have a separate, lower limit for individual checks? I would be surprised if Wells Fargo would take a mobile deposit for a $40,000 check. 40 different $1000 checks I would believe, but I bet they have a lower limit per check. Just my hunch.

For USAA, since they have no physical branches, probably have to be looser.



I have deposited personal checks over $10k on it but I don't know what the limits are. They usually put a hold on 90% of the amount deposited until the next business day.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
January 24th, 2020 at 10:26:05 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have deposited personal checks over $10k on it but I don't know what the limits are. They usually put a hold on 90% of the amount deposited until the next business day.


Nice, I wish my old bank had had that policy back when I was getting paychecks in the mail.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 6664
Thanks for this post from:
camapl
August 8th, 2022 at 2:14:03 PM permalink
Deleted.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/

  • Jump to: