90crapsplayer66
90crapsplayer66
  • Threads: 19
April 15th, 2018 at 12:49:00 PM permalink
Hey Craps friends, I need your expertise:
I started out playing a "Dark Side" strategy with $25 on the Don't Pass bar. After the come out roll (9) I put $5 in the Don't Come box.

The next roll was a 6, and I moved the D/C bet to the 6, and placed a lay bet of $30 behind the 6. I've now got two points active--9 and 6 (looking for the 7)
The next roll is a 9, and I lose my $25 Don't Pass.

I repeated with another $25 Don't Pass bet again. The new come out point is a 10. (I'm sticking with two active points only).
Unfortunately the next roll is a 10 and again I lose my $25 D/P bet.

Now I want to get out from under the "Dark Side" play and go to a "Right Side" strategy.
I know I can place a $10 bet on the Pass Line and start the new "Right Side" play-----but, what is the status of my remaining 6 with the $30 lay bet? If a 6 rolls do I lose that bet? or, if a 7 rolls, do I win on that 6?

Thanks,
Dick
Dick
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
April 15th, 2018 at 1:22:29 PM permalink
Your $5 DC bet and the $30 lay (Did you mean $30 odds behind the 6? Since your DC bet traveled to the 6, you can place a free odds bet and not pay the commission that a lay bet carries.) are still active, even though the table is coming out. If you decide to switch to the "right side" at this point, you can indeed place a wager on the pass line. The best scenario here is if the shooter throws a "winner" 7. That way, you win both your pass bet and your DC + odds (or lay).

If a 6 is thrown, you will lose all the money behind the 6, and your pass line bet now needs a repeat of the 6 to win. If any non-6 point is thrown, both bets are alive (you can make a odds bet on the point if you desire). Now at this point, you are both on the "right" side & "wrong" side simultaneously.

Remember, you can take down any dark side action at any time. So if you like, you can have the dealer return all your action behind the 6*, if it bothers you to have action on both sides at the same time.

* -- It is not recommended -- especially around here :) -- to take down your Don't Come/DC bets, since once a point is established (or your DC bet travels), you are favored to win that bet.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 15th, 2018 at 2:59:02 PM permalink
It might help if you tightened up your terminology.

>on the Don't Pass bar.
Its Don't Pass. (It contains a parenthetical "bar 12" or "bar 2", but there is no reason to refer to the Don't Pass line as a "bar".

>>next roll was a 6, and I moved the D/C bet to the 6, and placed a lay bet of $30 behind the 6.
Here is where precision is important.
There is a difference between Laying Odds and making a Lay Bet.
Any ODDS bet, whether you are laying the odds or taking the odds, can be taken down on a whim, it carries no house edge and is not a contract bet.

Any time you have a Don't Come you generally have the right to call out "no action" if the roll was unfavorable rather than a number "felt" to be more favorable. However, this should NEVER be done as once you are over that first roll hurdle, the bet is in your favor and that is why the house will let you call no action. The seven is always the most likely number to roll, with six and eight the next most likely, so keep up those Don't bets working as we will all jump down your throat if you don't.
90crapsplayer66
90crapsplayer66
April 15th, 2018 at 4:07:49 PM permalink
FleaStiff,
So noted: So I should just say---example: "$10 on the Don't Pass."

I'm not clear on your distinction between "laying odds" and "taking odds." Oh!--maybe you are referring to "laying odds" associated with the "dark side" strategy, and "taking odds" associated with "right side" play. Let me know if I'm correct on that. Thanks.

Am I understanding you when you suggest I leave the D/C 6 with the lay odds of $30, right where it is (even though I'm switching to a "right way" strategy) and take winnings of $5 for the flat bet and $25 for the lay of $30.00, when the 7 rolls ?

Thanks for your time helping me understand,
Dick
90crapsplayer66
90crapsplayer66
April 15th, 2018 at 4:22:48 PM permalink
Joeman,
Thanks for getting back to me. Your explanation along with that of FleaStiff 's, makes sense . The point you both make, and emphasize, I hear you loud and clear, is don't give up the advantages of a D/C bet.

Thanks again,
Dick
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 15th, 2018 at 4:36:12 PM permalink
>> So I should just say---example: "$10 on the Don't Pass."
Yeah, the minute you say "don't pass bar" you will be known as a neophyte. Which is perfectly okay but if anyone says 'don't pass bar' to you then you should beware since they don't know what they are talking about.

>>I'm not clear on your distinction between "laying odds" and "taking odds."
Heck, I'm not clear on that or anything else either.
Its has to do with who is the underdog/overdog or who is favored or disfavored.
At the time you make an Odds Bet on a Don't point, you are betting on the favorite (since seven is always the most likely number to be rolled) therefor you are Laying the Odds.
At the time you make an Odds bet on a PassLine Point your are betting on the underdog and therefore Taking the odds.

>>>>> Let me know if I'm correct on that. Thanks.
It seems you got it right.

>>>>>Am I understanding you when you suggest I leave the D/C 6 with the lay odds of $30
I ain't suggesting nothing. Its YOUR money. I'm just pointing out to you that neither of those dice will have the slightest objection to whatever you decide to do. You can take your odds bet down and put it back up at your whim, no one cares. An odds bet is never a contract bet that must be left up until either won or lost. Your play does not have to be consistent or sensible and you can confuse the dealer all you want to. If the seven rolls before that six does, your odds bet will win but only if it is still up.

Calling "no action'' can sometimes be profitable for you, but everyone here will still jump down your throat if you do it.
Trying to have a consistent strategy on separate bets may be admirable but the dice don't really much care and the shooter probably doesn't either. Your dealer may get confused, but he doesn't have a stick in his hand so you don't ever have to worry about what he thinks of you.
  • Jump to: