Riva
Riva
  • Threads: 73
June 21st, 2014 at 3:05:49 PM permalink
We had another charitable gaming fundraiser event last night. About 500 people in attendance. Tables filled up real fast, especially craps. We had 3 veteran dealers doing craps so, I was not worried being away from the table dealing roulette. We agreed before the night to allow 1x odds. Figuring with a $2 minimum / $5 max, we couldn't get hurt too bad if things went south (typically, we do not allow odds bets whatsoever).

Again, the table filled up real fast and was two deep before too long. With all the commotion, I thought that I had better get over there to check things out. When the players are cheering, the house is weeping. And, so it was. And, I take part of the blame for it.

Turns out, the players found a weak link and took advantage of it. Most players put a $2 (minimum) pass line bet. They then backed up the pass line bets with either a $5 or $6 "true odds" bet behind the number. Somebody told the dealers that this was permissible because the odds bet was still at or below the table maximum.

Unfortunately, the dealers took the bait and ALL the players jumped in with both feet. What the dealers were doing in effect, was allowing triple odds. That, in itself, is not so horrible unless of course, the table gets hot and the house is taking gas. And, gas it was for about 1 hour until I stopped the game. The players knew the jig was up.

I explained to the entire table that there is no correlation between the table maximum and the odds bet. So, if you wanted to back up a $2 bet, the most you could put behind it was $2. If you wanted to back up a $5 bet, you put $5 behind it ($6 for the 5 and 9).
Some players bitched but they knew that I was correct. The game went on until midnight with correct 1x odds. The dice turned and we got it all back--and then some. However, several players early on walked away with lots of cash, which is OK. I was mostly annoyed with myself for not being at the table sooner to catch what was going on with the 3x action. I can't blame the dealers too much because last night, we used all volunteers, as all the pro dealers were booked at other events. Oh well. Live and learn.
rudeboy99
rudeboy99
  • Threads: 0
July 1st, 2014 at 11:27:38 PM permalink
I would assume that telling your dealers what size of table odds are allowed if they aren't regular help or unfamiliar with your operation would certainly be considered CRITICAL information and that the onus would be on you for not making sure that they had all the info needed to run the game in the manner you expect. Maybe you could print some "cheat sheets" explaining your game parameters and hand them out if you find yourself again with help that is unfamiliar with your table rules and limits.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
July 2nd, 2014 at 9:25:38 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboy99

Maybe you could print some "cheat sheets" explaining your game parameters and hand them out if you find yourself again with help that is unfamiliar with your table rules and limits.

Even with my unorthodox strategy, I find dealers generally -- except for a handful -- can follow the system after two or three resolutions. Of course, not changing the strategy every 90 or 120 seconds helps smooth the way.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 2nd, 2014 at 11:11:38 PM permalink
Quote: Riva

And, I take part of the blame for it.

Sorry pal, you get ALL the blame for this one. Its simple, its basic. You explained it to the entire table but that is the first the dealers heard it and that is your fault. No excuse not to have had an example for the two dollar bet and the five dollar bet. Particularly when you should have been expecting trouble.
  • Jump to: