LuckyDucky
LuckyDucky
  • Threads: 2
December 14th, 2010 at 5:16:36 PM permalink
New poster here! I signed up because the Wizard of Odds site said to sign up here if I have a question.

My roommate and I were discussing strategies for making money at blackjack... a contradiction, I know.

Anyways, we came up with this strategy:

Start with a bankroll of 8 chips and bet 1 chip at a time while playing the basic strategy. Only play on 2 card decks and when you get to +4 chips, leave.

My roommate has done this 5 times and has made about $1000. I understand that in the long run, the house always wins but...

The real question

There will be fluctuations. Your bankroll will fluctuate up and down several times over the course of one playing session.

Could you not consider getting +1 chip above your starting amount almost guaranteed on any given day? I realize how many chips you start with affect your chances of getting to +1 but suppose you start with 10, what is the chance you get to +1 chip any given time you play?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 14th, 2010 at 5:31:26 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyDucky

Only play on 2 card decks and when you get to +4 chips, leave.

What do you do when you don't reach +4 and your BR busts out? What do you do when this happens 3 times in a row?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
LuckyDucky
LuckyDucky
December 14th, 2010 at 5:35:36 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

What do you do when you don't reach +4 and your BR busts out? What do you do when this happens 3 times in a row?

You lose your money. That's why I was asking what the chance of getting +1 chip is. In other words, if I start with 10 chips, what is the chance that at some point, I will have 11 before I end up running out of money? Getting +1 should be pretty easy right?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
December 14th, 2010 at 5:40:37 PM permalink
The only thing I have to say is that your end results would be similar to the martingale - a lot of small wins and a handful of busts. Just wanted to give this forum a bump, I think you'll need someone to run a million or so simulations for you.

On the side: It requires a lot of self control to stop just one unit up and obviously you'll win 70-80% of the time.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
December 14th, 2010 at 7:19:14 PM permalink
If BJ was a coin flip, the odds of going +1 before losing 8 is 8/9. Since it's not, the odds are a little less than 89%.

But... since the idea of a session is just an illusion, and your gambling career is really just one big session, it doesn't matter what you do. If you want to win $one unit 88% of the time and lose 8 units 12% of the time, go for it. If your friend wants to win 4 units 66% of the time and lose 8 units 34% of time, let him have his fun.

The only good thing that can be said about this strategy is that you don't play for long. That's good gambling
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
LuckyDucky
LuckyDucky
December 14th, 2010 at 7:34:55 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

If BJ was a coin flip, the odds of going +1 before losing 8 is 8/9. Since it's not, the odds are a little less than 89%.

But... since the idea of a session is just an illusion, and your gambling career is really just one big session, it doesn't matter what you do. If you want to win $one unit 88% of the time and lose 8 units 12% of the time, go for it. If your friend wants to win 4 units 66% of the time and lose 8 units 34% of time, let him have his fun.

The only good thing that can be said about this strategy is that you don't play for long. That's good gambling

One thing about "resetting" so often by quitting after you get +1 is that the game is more in your favor since the next time you get back in, the deck will be reshuffled. Right?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 14th, 2010 at 7:47:39 PM permalink

One thing about "resetting" so often by quitting after you get +1 is that the game is more in your favor since the next time you get back in, the deck will be reshuffled. Right?

I don't even know where to start with this. Short answer: No, it changes nothing. There are much longer answers that say the same thing.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
December 14th, 2010 at 8:03:18 PM permalink
The more often you reset the more often you'll gain one unit instead of losing your bankroll. Let's say you start with $100 and have units of $10 and $5. With $10 you have 10 units and with $5 you have 20 units - if you start with 20 units there is a higher probability of getting one unit ahead than with 10 units. So you can risk more/win more with $10 units than $5. One thing to keep in mind is that although you can estimate BJ as a coin flip, if you want a better analysis you have to remember that in the short term you have to deal with splits/doubles/DAS. In other words, when given a single hand you have a somewhat significantly less than 50% chance to win - but there are a handful of situations where you might end up +2/+3 after a single hand.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 14th, 2010 at 10:36:59 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

But... since the idea of a session is just an illusion,

Funny, I keep saying that, and NO ONE, not even the true experts on this board, seems to believe me.

I mean, so you're ahead +1 unit for this "session". So what?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 15th, 2010 at 2:21:59 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

In other words, when given a single hand you have a somewhat significantly less than 50% chance to win - but there are a handful of situations where you might end up +2/+3 after a single hand.

You could also end up down 2 or 3 units after a single hand. In order to get back to "+1", you would then have to win 3 or 4 flat bet hands more than you lose for the remainder of the session. The "strategy" is hard to win with if you have an early set back and a relatively small bankroll compared to your bet size.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
December 15th, 2010 at 3:33:41 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Funny, I keep saying that, and NO ONE, not even the true experts on this board, seems to believe me.

I mean, so you're ahead +1 unit for this "session". So what?

I believe you,mkl and I mention it often when discussing blackjack. I have at least one post on this board saying that I'm still playing my First session.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard the utterly meaningless "quit while you're ahead."
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
December 15th, 2010 at 3:39:02 AM permalink

New poster here! I signed up because the Wizard of Odds site said to sign up here if I have a question.

My roommate and I were discussing strategies for making money at blackjack... a contradiction, I know.

Anyways, we came up with this strategy:

Start with a bankroll of 8 chips and bet 1 chip at a time while playing the basic strategy. Only play on 2 card decks and when you get to +4 chips, leave.

My roommate has done this 5 times and has made about $1000. I understand that in the long run, the house always wins but...

The real question

There will be fluctuations. Your bankroll will fluctuate up and down several times over the course of one playing session.

Could you not consider getting +1 chip above your starting amount almost guaranteed on any given day? I realize how many chips you start with affect your chances of getting to +1 but suppose you start with 10, what is the chance you get to +1 chip any given time you play?

Betting 10% of ones bankroll is seriously over betting. Your roommate has been extremely lucky but unfortunately it won't last. Those doubles and splits can show up at any time and they won't always go your way.
LuckyDucky
LuckyDucky
December 15th, 2010 at 5:53:49 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

I believe you,mkl and I mention it often when discussing blackjack. I have at least one post on this board saying that I'm still playing my First session.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard the utterly meaningless "quit while you're ahead."

According to the wizard of odds site on his house edge calculator, the optimal strategy (for the player) is obtained by reshuffling the deck every hand. I figure that if you only play to +1 and leave, you will be closer to optimal strategy since you obviously cannot stand up and sit down every hand to force the dealer to shuffle.
Kellynbnf
Kellynbnf
  • Threads: 15
December 15th, 2010 at 7:08:03 AM permalink

According to the wizard of odds site on his house edge calculator, the optimal strategy (for the player) is obtained by reshuffling the deck every hand. I figure that if you only play to +1 and leave, you will be closer to optimal strategy since you obviously cannot stand up and sit down every hand to force the dealer to shuffle.

You could get the same effect by leaving if more hands than average are being dealt before the cut card (and not just after the first one). The effect described is from the cut card, which means that when "additional" hands are dealt those extra ones are more likely to be in a low-card-rich shoe (and thus more disadvantageous to the player).
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
December 15th, 2010 at 8:10:54 AM permalink
Quote: Kellynbnf

You could get the same effect by leaving if more hands than average are being dealt before the cut card (and not just after the first one). The effect described is from the cut card, which means that when "additional" hands are dealt those extra ones are more likely to be in a low-card-rich shoe (and thus more disadvantageous to the player).

It would not be the same effect because by the time you notice that more hands than average are dealt, you have already played all those hands with a low-card-rich shoe, thus realizing the disadvantage. Leaving at this point is pointless, because the rest of the shoe is actually likely to happen to be high-card-rich, giving you a slight advantage, that you'd give up by leaving.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Martin
Martin
  • Threads: 8
December 15th, 2010 at 8:16:55 AM permalink
I find this topic to be excessively interesting. I have often thought of various games of chance (especially baccarat, craps and blackjack) to consist of waves of wins and waves of losses interspersed with chop. I consider it to be equally possible for a player to be in any state of the game (win wave, lose wave or chop) at any given time.

Therefore isn't it possible for our topic starter's roommate to be in a winning wave every time he plays?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 15th, 2010 at 8:35:34 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Martin
Martin
December 15th, 2010 at 8:46:14 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Problem is you dont know when it will start or end.

That is correct and I didn't even imply it - what I asked was - is it possible for an individual to sit down at a table in the middle of a winning wave enough times (just through blind luck being implied) that at the end of the lifetime the person is ahead of the game?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
December 15th, 2010 at 8:53:56 AM permalink
deleted
Martin
Martin
December 15th, 2010 at 9:09:46 AM permalink

Highly doubtful. Unless he/she quits if he/she gets ahead and never plays again.

OK - if as I contend that a winning wave is as equally prevalent as a losing wave is as equally prevalent as chop why is it "highly doubtful."

If the person gets chop they more or less break even, if they get a losing wave they lose and if they get a winning wave they win. Therefore it seems to me that a person has two chances not to be on a losing wave, i.e. either break even or be on a winning wave.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
December 15th, 2010 at 9:18:53 AM permalink
deleted
Martin
Martin
December 15th, 2010 at 9:37:05 AM permalink

Ok so you jump into a "winning wave" and you lose 5 bets in a row. Was it a "winning wave?"

You don't "jump" into a "winning wave," you join a game - maybe you open a table. From that point on you are either on a winning wave or a losing wave or a break even wave. What went before has no bearing on what came after. Remember this is a short game strategy and as many others have pointed out there is no such thing as a "session."

My question remains - if you only play short (which I will define as one of the following four states: lose 2, win 2, lose 1 win 1, or, win 1 lose 1 and then quit), you only open tables, and you do that 500 times in a lifetime - since in three of the four scenarios you will not lose - what is the possibility that at the end of the "session" (i.e. a lifetime) you will be ahead?
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
December 15th, 2010 at 9:45:54 AM permalink
first of all, a 'winning wave' would not be as prevalent as a 'losing wave'. Looks like your proposal for a session is only 2 trials, over 500 sessions, so 1000 trials. What is the probability of being up after playing 1000 hands of blackjack? To answer this very quickly, I'm going to pretend it's a coin flip game with probability of winning 49.8%. This gives a generous .4% house edge.

Then the probability of being up can be estimated with 1-binomdist(501,1000,.498,true) = 41.2%
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
December 15th, 2010 at 9:47:24 AM permalink
Quote: Martin

OK - if as I contend that a winning wave is as equally prevalent as a losing wave is as equally prevalent as chop why is it "highly doubtful."

It is not as prevalent, because of the house edge. The probability of a single win is lower then that of a single loss, and consequently, winning streaks will happen less often (and/or will be less long) than the losing streaks.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 15th, 2010 at 11:30:54 AM permalink
Quote: Martin

I find this topic to be excessively interesting. I have often thought of various games of chance (especially baccarat, craps and blackjack) to consist of waves of wins and waves of losses interspersed with chop. I consider it to be equally possible for a player to be in any state of the game (win wave, lose wave or chop) at any given time.

Therefore isn't it possible for our topic starter's roommate to be in a winning wave every time he plays?

It is possible. If the universe of, "lifetime" winners, losers and choppers were placed on a curve, there would certainly be a very small tail that would have folks who have only wins.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Martin
Martin
December 15th, 2010 at 12:02:53 PM permalink
Correct answer! And a larger part of the curve on the other side (but not that much larger) would have folks who have "only" losses. Which leaves the rest of the curve to be distributed across those who have more losing events than winning events and those people who have more winning events than losing events - and although that set would be smaller than the people who have more losses than wins it would certainly be larger than the set of people who have only wins or only losses.

Now in order to determine that we have to find out what percentage of each scenario should logically exist based on the normal probability of the game. I.E. out of all hands ever played what percentage would be win win, win lose, lose win, lose lose. Once that is determined then we can probably extrapolate a population on top of that and then we would find out how many of our fellow citizens are always walking around lucky and how many are always just walking around.

Gotta run - hope someone takes this on.
Martin
Martin
December 16th, 2010 at 10:34:59 AM permalink
No takers. Oh well.
bjgod
bjgod
  • Threads: 3
December 22nd, 2010 at 9:59:51 AM permalink
I have done dozens of simulations her are my results!

With a bankroll of $500 and a session goal of $50 and a session max of 5 rounds, using the Hi-lo count with I18 and Fab 4 indexes, betting table minimum of $10 at negative and neutral counts, $15 at TC'S +1, $20 at TC'S+2, $25 at TC'S+3, $30 at TC'S+4, and $35 at TC'S+5 and higher your win rate is 100% of the time. Although if you don't have a session goal you win rate is only pennies an hour. So if you are counting and playing all variances since it is a double deck game the only intelligent thing to do is have a session goal. I am not going to say how much I have won using this system but the profits are substantial. I do have a bit more info on the system that would make it more profitable but I think I will keep this to myself for the time being. What I love about this session goal system is that it can be played with any rules and is still 100% profitable if you play it to the tee. Cheers, hope you and your roommate can make a living at the game as I have. Good luck
I am a blackjack machine programed to take in cards and shit out money!
  • Jump to: