unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
January 14th, 2022 at 4:50:00 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Quote: Hunterhill

This can be further expanded on . What to do if you are on a trip and running out of money. Do you cut down on your bet sizes and try to grind it out for the remainder of trip? Or should you bet as normal and risk running out of money. I believe Grosjean analyzed this and determined that you should bet as normal and not cut down on bet sizes.
link to original post

It's going to come down to EV really. How small do you have to resize? If you have the funds to replenish on the next trip then I agree the EV is higher to continue betting as though you have your full bankroll. You just might have to also understand that if you do fall short and bust, you're also going to be losing table hours and hands that you could have played at a reduce rate the rest of your trip... so if this is day 2/5, that might be something to consider to resize, whereas if it's day 4/5 or 5/5 then yeah I'd keep shooting the full bets as long as possible.

...and still leaving enough on the last hand to split/double =D.
link to original post

How many splits and doubles do you have to leave yourself with that last bet?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 113
January 14th, 2022 at 5:22:05 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

This can be further expanded on . What to do if you are on a trip and running out of money. Do you cut down on your bet sizes and try to grind it out for the remainder of trip? Or should you bet as normal and risk running out of money. I believe Grosjean analyzed this and determined that you should bet as normal and not cut down on bet sizes.
link to original post

It's going to come down to EV really. How small do you have to resize? If you have the funds to replenish on the next trip then I agree the EV is higher to continue betting as though you have your full bankroll. You just might have to also understand that if you do fall short and bust, you're also going to be losing table hours and hands that you could have played at a reduce rate the rest of your trip... so if this is day 2/5, that might be something to consider to resize, whereas if it's day 4/5 or 5/5 then yeah I'd keep shooting the full bets as long as possible.

link to original post

link to original post

Back in the day when I played BJ I would make sure I had enough to split once, and double both. So 4x my bet. Someone better at math than I am can figure out how many times you would need more. Like splitting 3 times and wanting to double two…. Likely less than 1 in 100,00 deals?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 9
January 14th, 2022 at 6:07:32 PM permalink
Agreeing with SOOPOO. 3 extra bets per spot sounds and feels right.
Covers most of the insurance, double, split, split-double, split-split, split-double-double, split-split-double, and split-split-split cases at least.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
January 15th, 2022 at 3:25:12 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Typically one split and one double, but in my time playing I can say a few times I got down to only having a double down ready. It's not that hard to prepare for your session and avoid this problem.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.

• Jump to: