JimmyB1474
JimmyB1474
Joined: Feb 3, 2021
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 5
February 3rd, 2021 at 11:48:33 AM permalink
Hi there. I've been using basic stratagy for about 3 years now, but continuously lose, and lose fast. I spent months using Wizard of Odds strategies on free online games, to memorize everything. Yet, I go to the casino with $500, play a $10-$15 table (depending on availability) and rarely last more than 30 minutes until I'm broke. 6 decks, 8 decks, hand shuffled, machine shuffled, continuous shuffle. Makes no difference. I can understand bad luck once in a while, but it's getting ridiculous. Is my bankroll too low? Should I be walking away sooner and trying a different table? Please help. I love the game, but I can't seem to last long enough to enjoy it.
RogerKint
RogerKint
Joined: Dec 5, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1899
February 3rd, 2021 at 11:56:36 AM permalink
If it's the game part that you love, why not continue to play for free online?
100% risk of ruin
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 5035
Thanks for this post from:
JimmyB1474
February 3rd, 2021 at 12:04:16 PM permalink
Quote: JimmyB1474

Hi there. I've been using basic stratagy for about 3 years now, but continuously lose, and lose fast. I spent months using Wizard of Odds strategies on free online games, to memorize everything. Yet, I go to the casino with $500, play a $10-$15 table (depending on availability) and rarely last more than 30 minutes until I'm broke. 6 decks, 8 decks, hand shuffled, machine shuffled, continuous shuffle. Makes no difference. I can understand bad luck once in a while, but it's getting ridiculous. Is my bankroll too low? Should I be walking away sooner and trying a different table? Please help. I love the game, but I can't seem to last long enough to enjoy it.

It sounds like you are having some bad luck, but I hate to say it, how are you betting? Flat betting or occasionally chasing losses and betting big? Pressing into winning streaks?

A key indicator is how often you get well ahead and then throw it away. I bet you do change your bet and increase wagering into winning or losing streaks. That's a recipe for frequent failure.

Back when I played Bricks and mortar (FOR AMUSEMENT), I'd typically have a predefined hour to spend playing and I'd play £5 mostly flat betting or occasionally 5, 10, 15 15,15 progressive. If I went bust, I left and seldom reached out more money.
I usually lasted at least the hour on £200 and would lose all about 1/3 of sessiions and walk out with >400 on about 1/3 and somewhere in between the other 1/3

Your risk of ruin goes through the roof if you increase bet size. Restrict max bet to <10% of the chips in front of you or min bet, and you'll have longer fun sessions..
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
February 3rd, 2021 at 1:20:07 PM permalink
Are you testing how well you have learned? WOV has the strategies but you should try hitorstand.net to see just how good you are doing it. Otherwise it is like practicing a bad baseball swing. You will get great at doing it wrong.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3255
February 3rd, 2021 at 1:37:57 PM permalink
Quote: JimmyB1474

Hi there. I've been using basic stratagy for about 3 years now, but continuously lose, and lose fast. I spent months using Wizard of Odds strategies on free online games, to memorize everything. Yet, I go to the casino with $500, play a $10-$15 table (depending on availability) and rarely last more than 30 minutes until I'm broke. 6 decks, 8 decks, hand shuffled, machine shuffled, continuous shuffle. Makes no difference. I can understand bad luck once in a while, but it's getting ridiculous. Is my bankroll too low? Should I be walking away sooner and trying a different table? Please help. I love the game, but I can't seem to last long enough to enjoy it.


I think the problem is that you are playing Blackjack 😁

You should try Pai Gow Poker for the longest low volatility, low bankroll sessions of any casino game.

That said, you have just been unlucky. Even card counters who are playing with an edge encounter long losing streaks. It’s just part of the game of BJ.
fantom
fantom
Joined: Dec 19, 2020
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 78
Thanks for this post from:
JimmyB1474
February 3rd, 2021 at 2:25:08 PM permalink
My experience playing the low-limit games that you mention is that it's pretty much a one-unit game. I seldom get into a situation where I'm betting multiple units - and that's because the count will remain fairly low, most of the time. Monitor if you are upping your bet more than seems reasonable. That might well mean that you are miscounting or anticipating a high count that really isn't there.

You cannot win against a CSM or at 6:5 blackjack. If you are playing either, you are always going to be disappointed. Eight deck is very tough, but for the reason I mention above - the count will rarely be in your favor.

You mention a variety of games - keep track of your success, or lack of it, at a specific game - noting all of the variables. Stay away from those games that you don't do well at. Maybe it's a particular situation - too many distractions, too many ways to lose the count.

Don't go on tilt. If the count does get into the plus 3 or 4 range, don't stop counting or assume it's still high. Winning on a positive count usually means that high cards are coming out more than average so the count will tend to drop. Watch for that.

Start at the beginning of a shoe when you can know the count precisely.

Knowing hit-stand-split-double is really the easiest part, and should be reflexive. Knowing how much to bet - keeping count - is the tough part. The play of the cards should not distract you from that. If it does then you have not played, or practiced, enough. There are subtle differences in play for every variation of the game - H17 v S17, DAS v NDAS, number of decks.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 2431
February 3rd, 2021 at 3:11:27 PM permalink
Is it 6:5?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 5035
February 3rd, 2021 at 3:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: fantom

You cannot win against a CSM or at 6:5 blackjack. If you are playing either, you are always going to be disappointed. Eight deck is very tough, but for the reason I mention above - the count will rarely be in your favor.


Hi Fantom, the OP never said he was counting, and at those stakes, I guess he wasn't
Interesting point about the 6:5 games. Playing them is a disaster in progress.
Not counting, CSM would be fine for recreational play. Obviously, he would tend to lose at or near to the house edge.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 110
  • Posts: 7808
February 3rd, 2021 at 4:43:31 PM permalink
Quote: JimmyB1474

Hi there. I've been using basic stratagy for about 3 years now, but continuously lose, and lose fast. I spent months using Wizard of Odds strategies on free online games, to memorize everything. Yet, I go to the casino with $500, play a $10-$15 table (depending on availability) and rarely last more than 30 minutes until I'm broke. 6 decks, 8 decks, hand shuffled, machine shuffled, continuous shuffle. Makes no difference. I can understand bad luck once in a while, but it's getting ridiculous. Is my bankroll too low? Should I be walking away sooner and trying a different table? Please help. I love the game, but I can't seem to last long enough to enjoy it.



Welcome to the forum! The only thing I will address is your ‘bankroll’ question. YOU have to tell us what your goals are, and what you can ‘afford’. If you asked.... ‘I’m playing BJ (give us exact rules) at a $10 table. I have learned basic strategy. I want to at least last X hours YY% of the time. Then we can answer.

I play - EV games like you do. Instead of using the word ‘bankroll’, I use the phrase ‘how much I’m willing to lose’. I use the word bankroll when I have a positive expectation. Maybe just my subtle idiosyncrasy.
JimmyB1474
JimmyB1474
Joined: Feb 3, 2021
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 5
February 4th, 2021 at 5:49:02 AM permalink
I'm flat betting table min. $10-15. It's just been rough. But, thank you.

  • Jump to: