Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1323
  • Posts: 21757
July 31st, 2020 at 6:38:43 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Stickmen will often say things like "point is five, bet the 9," or "six came soft bet it hard."



I'm quite sure they are trained to say that, like somebody trying to get people to play a literal carnival game.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 92
  • Posts: 3387
July 31st, 2020 at 6:44:41 AM permalink
Quote: Alec

You must be referring to the slot lady!

Actually I watch her videos on a regular basis and I couldn't agree with you more.

I find her content to be quite entertaining but wow she does put out a lot of money onto those side bets!

In her specific case, she might be able to claim that "Side bets are part of the entertainment experience" since she claims providing YouTube content is her full-time job.

However, I have a feeling that is not why she is making those bets.



I suspect that part of her deal is to play certain games and make certain bets in exchange for permission which includes a private table.

But she has admitted to having overall losses, and says she receives no cash payments. However that statement doesn't include comps. I doubt she spends a dime out of her own purse.

If I told you she might get paid $200k or more PER MONTH by YouTube would you believe me?
Alec
Alec
Joined: Jul 6, 2020
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 18
July 31st, 2020 at 6:51:26 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I suspect that part of her deal is to play certain games and make certain bets in exchange for permission which includes a private table.



I could buy into this theory. Seems logical.


Quote: AlanMendelson

But she has admitted to having overall losses, and says she receives no cash payments.



Well she does receive "super chats" aka YouTube Tips from viewers. These aren't cash payments?


Quote: AlanMendelson

However that statement doesn't include comps. I doubt she spends a dime out of her own purse.



Do you doubt she spends a dime out of her own purse on comp related items (hotel, food, etc)? Or on the actual bets themselves?


Quote: AlanMendelson

If I told you she might get paid $200k or more PER MONTH by YouTube would you believe me?



This seems like a high dollar figure off the top of my head.

Do you have inside knowledge of this? How would YouTube be profiting from this deal? Just based on advertising income from her videos alone?
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 9268
Thanks for this post from:
Alec
July 31st, 2020 at 7:05:31 AM permalink
For the most part, I play as if I am at an empty table. On the very rare occasion that I choose to engage in this sort of nonsense, I point out every losing side bet they do. Believe me, it gets annoying real fast and people either leave or shut up, either of which is fine by me.
When I want to socialize, it isn't at a table full of strangers.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 71
  • Posts: 6088
Thanks for this post from:
Alec
July 31st, 2020 at 7:18:03 AM permalink
Quote: Alec

I like to play blackjack at local casinos in the Chicagoland area where I live.

Roughly 90% of the other players I play with bet on all of the available side bets every hand (always hoping for that next big hit).

Having watched all of Mike's videos about blackjack, I have accepted his advice on this topic, and I never make these bets myself.

I also tend to refrain from commenting on how others play their hands at the table. However, every time I get a potentially winning side bet hand, I almost always get heckled by some other player (sometimes the dealer) about this with comments such as "Oh you don't play them" "You are getting so many of those hands but you don't play" "Why didn't you play" "You don't play" etc.

What should I say in response to these comments (if anything) from an etiquette standpoint?



I always just say that I am too poor to make those bets but if you want to give me some money I will play them. That usually shuts them up right away.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Joeman
Joeman
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 34
  • Posts: 1763
Thanks for this post from:
Alec
July 31st, 2020 at 8:30:48 AM permalink
When I get hassled about 'missing out' on a winning side bet, I'll say, "If I had been playing the side bet the whole time, I would have busted out long before now," which is often true. It's harder to pull off if I get that hand when I first sit down! ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
  • Threads: 92
  • Posts: 3387
July 31st, 2020 at 8:41:03 AM permalink
Quote: Alec



Well she does receive "super chats" aka YouTube Tips from viewers. These aren't cash payments?

Do you doubt she spends a dime out of her own purse on comp related items (hotel, food, etc)? Or on the actual bets themselves?

This seems like a high dollar figure off the top of my head.

Do you have inside knowledge of this? How would YouTube be profiting from this deal? Just based on advertising income from her videos alone?



Let me address these.

I'm talking about payments from the casino. She said the casino doesn't give her CASH and I believe that.

On the other hand, I'm sure she's fully comped. Until about 18 months ago when I stopped cold Turkey playing at Caesars I was fully comped. The only thing I paid out of my pocket was tips. And I often got "show up free play" of as much as $2500. And before Total Rewards I was RFB.

I am sure she is fully comped and she probably gets free play as well which we do not see on YouTube.

$200,000 per month for a YouTube channel with so many viewers is not out of the ordinary. There is a Youtuber called Meet Kevin who does political and real estate and Covid financial help news on his channel and last week he revealed on YouTube that he has been averaging $245k per month because of the pandemic. That's $245,000 from YouTube and does not include what he's selling on his Channel.
Alec
Alec
Joined: Jul 6, 2020
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 18
July 31st, 2020 at 9:37:36 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Let me address these.

I'm talking about payments from the casino. She said the casino doesn't give her CASH and I believe that.

On the other hand, I'm sure she's fully comped. Until about 18 months ago when I stopped cold Turkey playing at Caesars I was fully comped. The only thing I paid out of my pocket was tips. And I often got "show up free play" of as much as $2500. And before Total Rewards I was RFB.



Ah okay, I see what you are saying about slot lady's comps from the casino.

I have not achieved anywhere near this level of tier status as a player myself so I can only acknowledge your feedback as far as casino comps go.


Quote: AlanMendelson

$200,000 per month for a YouTube channel with so many viewers is not out of the ordinary. There is a Youtuber called Meet Kevin who does political and real estate and Covid financial help news on his channel and last week he revealed on YouTube that he has been averaging $245k per month because of the pandemic. That's $245,000 from YouTube and does not include what he's selling on his Channel.



I find those kinds of dollar figures fascinating even with the viewership totals factored in.

However, it does makes sense that demand for YouTube content is high these days.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 493
Thanks for this post from:
Alec
July 31st, 2020 at 9:37:42 AM permalink
I never ever play any side bets.

When another player asks why, I ask them "Do you think the casino put that side bet there for my benefit or for the casinos benefit?" They usually just nod their head up and down and agree with my thinking and continue to still make side bets.

Amazing!
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10200
Thanks for this post from:
Alec
July 31st, 2020 at 11:50:20 AM permalink
Depending on my mood .....


You can bet the side bet on my spot if you like.

What about all the times it would have lost?

No habla inlges.
I love that one because of the weird looks I get since Iím a pasty-faced white guy.

The book says to avoid those bets. And Iím friends with the author.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗

  • Jump to: