Xtina
Xtina
  • Threads: 6
February 3rd, 2019 at 11:00:42 AM permalink
Hi all,
I've been reading Norman Wattenberger's book Modern Blackjack and learning reKO (ridiculously easy Knock Out) card counting. I'm a new member so I can't post links, but you can access the book for free at his website qfit . com / book / index . htm. Anyway, I'm interested in the reKO strategy for 6 deck games. He publishes a bunch of strategy charts at the link above.

My question is... according to his 6D S17 reKO chart, you should stand if you have soft 19 (A,8) vs dealer's 5 or 6 unless the count is +2, in which case you should do something else (as indicated by the ~ symbol.) The book does not explain if he wants you to hit or double. Either way, I don't understand taking an additional card on S19 with a +2 count... If the count is +2 ostensibly there are fewer small cards left in the shoe than 10/A. If I hit on S19 I'm more likely to get hard 19 or 20, but by the same logic, the dealer is likely to end up having to hit on a 15 or 16 and bust, no? Shouldn't I just stick with the soft 19 instead of risking a card that will drop me below 19?

Similarly you're supposed to stand if the count is +2 and you have a hard 10 vs dealer 10 or A and a hard 11 vs dealer A. I'm squirming in my seat. Can this possibly be correct?!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 3rd, 2019 at 11:17:50 AM permalink
If your logic says the dealer is more likely tohave to hit a 15/16 and bust, don't you want to have as much money on the table as possible? Doubling a S19 doesn't mean you will improve on your hand, it's about getting as much money in play on a hand where the dealer is likely to lose.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Xtina
Xtina
February 3rd, 2019 at 11:22:02 AM permalink
The chart/book don't specify if you're supposed to hit or double; S~ simply indicates you do something other than stand if the count is +2. Your interpretation seems to make sense if you take the S~ as double for the purpose of getting more money on the table.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 3rd, 2019 at 11:40:56 AM permalink
What would you gain by hitting instead of doubling? No card you draw would make you take a fourth card. Your choice is stand or double.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Xtina
Xtina
February 3rd, 2019 at 12:09:52 PM permalink
I emailed Norm, and he actually wrote back very promptly. Your interpretation is correct; I'm supposed to double. The same is true for the situation I referenced above vs10/A. Thanks!
  • Jump to: