BlackjackLover
BlackjackLover
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 2, 2018
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:05:27 AM permalink
The expected return is lower than that of normal blackjack. Why should I play it? Is the variance lower?

By the way, according to this page on the Wizard of Odds: wizardofodds.com/games/double-exposure/
Quote:

The following tables show the basic strategy for double exposure when the dealer stands on soft 17. To use the strategy, look up the player hand along the top row and the dealer hand along the left column.


Should it be vice versa?

Also, could anyone please explain this?
Quote:

S/Ds = Stand on first two cards, double if after splitting and allowed, otherwise stand


How can I double a soft 21 hand?
Last edited by: BlackjackLover on Oct 22, 2018
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1600
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
October 22nd, 2018 at 3:06:59 AM permalink
Quote: BlackjackLover

...How can I double a soft 21 hand?




When splitting tens vs a dealer's 16, soft 21 would result when getting an ace on a ten. Doubling that soft 21 has a higher EV than standing.


Although hitting or doubling down 21 is not allowed in Atlantic City, it might be allowed elsewhere.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 2972
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
October 22nd, 2018 at 3:11:35 AM permalink
You can get to a soft 21 by splitting 10's and drawing an Ace. I know one BJ variant in the UK where this was correct but the casino house rules did not allow doubling on 21. The other main question was whether you could only split equal cards (e.g. KK but not KQ).

btw sometimes the wizard gives rules where you shouldn't be there or where you've run out of splits so have to stand or hit on (say) your 8-8.
BlackjackLover
BlackjackLover
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 2, 2018
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:17:04 AM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

When splitting tens vs a dealer's 16, soft 21 would result when getting an ace on a ten. Doubling that soft 21 has a higher EV than standing.


Although hitting or doubling down 21 is not allowed in Atlantic City, it might be allowed elsewhere.


Quote: charliepatrick

You can get to a soft 21 by splitting 10's and drawing an Ace. I know one BJ variant in the UK where this was correct but the casino house rules did not allow doubling on 21.


Thank you. Doubling or hitting a 21 hand is generally not allowed, though.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 16282
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:26:57 PM permalink
Quote: BlackjackLover

Thank you. Doubling or hitting a 21 hand is generally not allowed, though.




I've never seen it disallowed. Discouraged, yes. Disallowed no. I sort of recall something about not being allowed to double 21 at Superfun, but never tried it at regular BJ. Was at a table where someone was splitting tens and drew an Ace. Dealer treated it as a double down, which worked for him.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
BlackjackLover
BlackjackLover
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 2, 2018
October 23rd, 2018 at 1:55:10 AM permalink
In case anyone wants to play it for fun, it's available on this page: redbet dot com/int/casino/table-games/double-exposure-blackjack-professional-high.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
October 23rd, 2018 at 11:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: BlackjackLover

In case anyone wants to play it for fun, it's available on this page: redbet dot com/int/casino/table-games/double-exposure-blackjack-professional-high.



I appreciate you trying to provide this. I was going to fix your link for you, but I'm getting a 404-page not found error when I go there. Perhaps you have to be signed in as a customer?

Here's the link, anyway. Maybe someone can get it to work.
https://www.redbet.com/int/casino/table-games/double-exposure-blackjack-professional-high

Edit. It's not letting me sign up for an account from the US. You can select even from the Isle of Man or the Vatican, but not us. Oh, well.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 7485
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
October 23rd, 2018 at 12:20:00 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

The other main question was whether you could only split equal cards (e.g. KK but not KQ).


Grosvenor Stoke won't allow splitting mixed 10 value cards. They also only offer insurance for the even money bet, I.e. when you also hold a BJ.
Also, they laughed and said 'no chance' when I asked if I could 'double for less'
I do wish they would have the rules easily on hand in a leaflet or on display by the table, but they didn't when I asked.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
BlackjackLover
BlackjackLover
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 2, 2018
October 23rd, 2018 at 12:21:11 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I appreciate you trying to provide this. I was going to fix your link for you, but I'm getting a 404-page not found error when I go there. Perhaps you have to be signed in as a customer?

Here's the link, anyway. Maybe someone can get it to work.
https://www.redbet.com/int/casino/table-games/double-exposure-blackjack-professional-high

Edit. It's not letting me sign up for an account from the US. You can select even from the Isle of Man or the Vatican, but not us. Oh, well.


I don't know why you got a 404 page. It works for me. It doesn't required logging in. Maybe you included a period at the end of the URL. Thank you for providing the link.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 7485
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
October 23rd, 2018 at 12:31:59 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I appreciate you trying to provide this. I was going to fix your link for you, but I'm getting a 404-page not found error when I go there. Perhaps you have to be signed in as a customer?

Here's the link, anyway. Maybe someone can get it to work.
https://www.redbet.com/int/casino/table-games/double-exposure-blackjack-professional-high

Edit. It's not letting me sign up for an account from the US. You can select even from the Isle of Man or the Vatican, but not us. Oh, well.

I had a looksee from the UK. Some DREADFUL bonus wagering requirements, badly written in the T's and C's E.g. this doozy...
Quote: redbet rules

9. Should you have both real money and bonus money in your account you must play using your real money first. You are allowed to use your bonus money for playing when there is no real money left in your account.

That and >350 x wager through on their welcome bonus. Pah!
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26687
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
October 23rd, 2018 at 12:34:13 PM permalink
When I made frequent trips to Atlantic City, they did not allow doubling on soft 21 in any blackjack-based game. If that has changed, I'm not aware of it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
October 23rd, 2018 at 6:22:00 PM permalink
Quote: BlackjackLover

I don't know why you got a 404 page. It works for me. It doesn't required logging in. Maybe you included a period at the end of the URL. Thank you for providing the link.



You can use the link because there are about 9,600 miles between where you are and where I am. (Ooh! Just looked it up. I was only off by 240 miles. Pretty darn good guess.)

That's very common. They all block US addresses from using their services.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
BlackjackLover
BlackjackLover
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 2, 2018
October 28th, 2018 at 3:39:24 PM permalink
Regarding the effects of various rules on the player's expected return:
Quote:

Here are some effects of various rules on the player's expected return:

  • Dealer stands on soft 17: +0.39%
  • Double after split allowed: +0.32%
  • Tied blackjack is a win (as opposed to push): +0.22%
  • Player may split once only (compared to infinite): -0.71%
  • Player may double on 9-11 only: -1.04%
  • Player may double on 10-11 only: -1.44%


https://wizardofodds.com/games/double-exposure/

What is the expected return before applying these effects? Is it almost 100%?
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6624
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
August 25th, 2021 at 6:18:51 PM permalink
If anyone cares, Circus Circus LV had a double exposure table last month when I walked through.

First time Id seen it in a while. Especially in Vegas.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
  • Jump to: