mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
October 7th, 2010 at 9:42:02 AM permalink
"He insisted that you never split anything that starts with the letter F" >>> So is the opposite rule correct? Every number NOT starting with an F, split those? Ken
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
October 7th, 2010 at 10:05:43 AM permalink
No, to this and your original question. Go to Wizard of Odds and print the strategies.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
October 7th, 2010 at 10:54:48 AM permalink
I will if I feel like it, thank you. Ken
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
October 7th, 2010 at 11:28:25 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

What a cool rule! :)
(It's also a correct one, I believe, for a no DAS game).

How much did you ask for your 12 vs. 3 hand?

You are correct about the no DAS game.

I asked for 1.5 times my bet up front. The buyer now owns the money in the circle and I comply with his wishes on playing out the hand. Essentially I'm being paid to stay on the 12.

It's even better if the true count goes to +2 or higher. Now I'm getting paid on a hand that I was going to stay on anyway.

This doesn't happen very often and I couldn't care less if it ever happens again.

This is just my way of saying put up or shut up.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
October 7th, 2010 at 3:16:21 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Should you run into that rule again, just tell them you use Spanish numbers. No cards start with F that way.

Yeah, but then the F word becomes the C word.

No, not that one..... Callate!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 7th, 2010 at 3:43:42 PM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

Yeah, but then the F word becomes the C word.

No, not that one..... Callate!

Well, that would be rude, but it completely wastes Spanish's ability to load vituperation into an insult. I'd post an example here, but I make it a policiy not to tease parental filters. Besides, these days if you try a Spanish insult in the US all too many people are likely to understand it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Kelmo
Kelmo
  • Threads: 6
October 7th, 2010 at 6:59:10 PM permalink
What if you're a professional card counter. Would it make a difference then? Let's say the players draw too many cards when the count is high and causes the cut card to come out prematurely. What if the same players over-draw, which allows you to see more cards than you might otherwise see? ...which is then offset by fewer hands per shoe?

Hmnnn.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
October 8th, 2010 at 3:36:38 AM permalink
These things happen all the time and are accepted as part of the game. Yes, they will eat your good cards in high counts but they will also eat the dealer's good cards in low counts.

A counter doesn't waste time worrying about what other players are doing.

A high count is a high count and he or she will use all of their skills to exploit it.

To get a bigger piece of the action in a favorable shoe, the counter simply spreads to multiple hands.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 8th, 2010 at 6:47:13 AM permalink
Quote: mkl314159

It doesn't even matter in the short term. I hit, and I get a randomly chosen card. It doesn't matter if this is the first, second, or for that matter, 90th card in the deck. That guy who acts before me is just another randomizing element; he is just as likely to help me as to hurt me. We tend to focus on when someone "takes our card", but I've seen that happen to my benefit just as much as to my detriment.

The card is not randomly chosen. It's either the card that the player did not take or should have taken. That is, if your next door neighbor has a 12 against a 2 and stands and you double down on your 11 and get his 5, and the dealer has a 12 and pulls a 9 for 21 (and the next card is a 10) his actions definitely had an effect.

But absolutely correct otherwise, it neither helps or hinders. I've seen dumbass moves at third base help just as much. You just have to be analytical at the table and realize that the math shows no difference and your memory plays tricks on you. At the same time, I don't like playing at tables with dumbasses (unless they are hot women wearing low cut shirts) because they get mad when they lose (more often) which brings the attitude at the entire table down).

Actually, slightly off topic, does remembering the bad plays over the good reflect on your general attitude towards gaming.

For example, if you actually believe, in craps in a "stick change 7", (when the crew changes, you seven out on the next roll), does that mean that you generally have a negative attitude toward gaming?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 8th, 2010 at 9:20:26 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

The card is not randomly chosen. It's either the card that the player did not take or should have taken. That is, if your next door neighbor has a 12 against a 2 and stands and you double down on your 11 and get his 5, and the dealer has a 12 and pulls a 9 for 21 (and the next card is a 10) his actions definitely had an effect.

But absolutely correct otherwise, it neither helps or hinders. I've seen dumbass moves at third base help just as much. You just have to be analytical at the table and realize that the math shows no difference and your memory plays tricks on you. At the same time, I don't like playing at tables with dumbasses (unless they are hot women wearing low cut shirts) because they get mad when they lose (more often) which brings the attitude at the entire table down).

But what I'm trying to get across is that the player before you choosing to hit or not to hit is in itself a randomizing element. Sometime he will, and you'll get the second (or the third) card in the deck when you hit; sometimes he won't, and you'll get the first card. Whether he hits or not is determined by the random hand he was dealt, as well as the random nature of his decision process.

What is confusing your thinking, I believe, is shown by your saying "his actions definitely had an effect". That isn't actually true. If all his actions did was further randomize the outcome, then his actions, in reality, had no effect whatsoever. If you get the analogy, it's like making an additional odds bet in craps.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw

• Jump to: