Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
October 23rd, 2016 at 9:00:33 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Axel was actually telling me about that a week or so ago. All the "smart APs" went to the 10/7, but there was something much better right around the corner.

You'd get a straight every 59 hands or no. Not 29.

Wrong. You get a straight every 90 hands, a flush every 90 hands, and a full house every 90 hands. So once every 30 hands, you get a $25+ win on a dollar machine. I lowered that to once every 29 hands because you also got a scratch card for a quad or a straight flush, and if you played the game correctly by adjusting for the promo, you got even more straights than you normally would have.

There may indeed have been something better under a rock nearby, but back in the day, there was always something good available. This was low-variance and surprisingly, no heat or hassle.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 23rd, 2016 at 11:01:00 PM permalink
Earlier I thought you said you get a straight (not or better) every 29 hands.

Regardless, I'm a bit leery on your math. You don't get a straight every 90 hands, but 59. But a ~6.5% advantage regardless. Unless you want to compare apples and oranges.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
October 24th, 2016 at 12:09:41 AM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

Wrong. You get a straight every 90 hands, a flush every 90 hands, and a full house every 90 hands. So once every 30 hands, you get a $25+ win on a dollar machine. I lowered that to once every 29 hands because you also got a scratch card for a quad or a straight flush, and if you played the game correctly by adjusting for the promo, you got even more straights than you normally would have.

There may indeed have been something better under a rock nearby, but back in the day, there was always something good available. This was low-variance and surprisingly, no heat or hassle.

Were you allowed to use cell phones in sports books back then? Was raising 3x in UTH considered optimal strategy back then? Did UTH even exist in the stone age?
100% risk of ruin
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 24th, 2016 at 12:13:06 AM permalink

Earlier I thought you said you get a straight (not or better) every 29 hands.

Regardless, I'm a bit leery on your math. You don't get a straight every 90 hands, but 59. But a ~6.5% advantage regardless. Unless you want to compare apples and oranges.

Yeah, whatever the exact numbers were, it was a monster play. I remember that we played the game quite a bit differently than normal optimal strategy, since the paytable was now effectively 11/8/6 rather than 10/7/5.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 24th, 2016 at 12:15:32 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Were you allowed to use cell phones in sports books back then? Was raising 3x in UTH considered optimal strategy back then? Did UTH even exist in the stone age?

3x is always optimal! You get your action down while reducing variance, the best of both worlds. Same concept applies to Mississippi Stud, where you should 2x (never 1x, not enough action. never 3x, too much variance). Need I explain why doubling for less is optimal in BJ, too?
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
October 24th, 2016 at 12:15:42 AM permalink

Try not to act so much like yourself, just for the sake of a refreshing change.

You didn't even comprehend what I was saying about the UTH strategy adjustments BTW. But then, neither did my cat, even though she read my post over my shoulder.
RogerKint
RogerKint
October 24th, 2016 at 12:19:24 AM permalink
Quote: Joeshlabotnik

Try not to act so much like yourself, just for the sake of a refreshing change.

You didn't even comprehend what I was saying about the UTH strategy adjustments BTW. But then, neither did my cat, even though she read my post over my shoulder.

Lol got em. There's no come back for that.

Btw You should 2x the river in UTH
100% risk of ruin
RogerKint
RogerKint
October 24th, 2016 at 12:48:13 AM permalink

3x is always optimal! You get your action down while reducing variance, the best of both worlds. Same concept applies to Mississippi Stud, where you should 2x (never 1x, not enough action. never 3x, too much variance). Need I explain why doubling for less is optimal in BJ, too?

You only double for less when getting extra info. Come onnnnnn even my cat knows that.
100% risk of ruin
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 27
October 24th, 2016 at 7:02:31 AM permalink
Great post, mcallister3200. Tons of great AP information throughout the entire thing. I'd highly recommend newer AP's read and reread the first post!
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
October 24th, 2016 at 10:33:36 AM permalink

You only double for less when getting extra info. Come onnnnnn even my cat knows that.

I prefer the rarely seen split for less:-)
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.

• Jump to: