APEppink
APEppink
  • Threads: 14
April 8th, 2016 at 5:33:09 PM permalink
Does anyone know of a rigorous mathematical way to check randomness in online houses? I'd think using an interval of confidence (p value) analysis like the physicists do might do it.
What's the point of putting up with online houses possibly gaffing you?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 8th, 2016 at 6:18:39 PM permalink
Well, Knuth has a number of tests in volume 2 of his The Art of Computer Programming, but some definitions of "randomness" are better than others. For example, the first test is, make millions of trials, and see how the number of times each result comes up compares to the others. The problem is, if you're picking numbers from 1 to 5, the "random" sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... passes the test.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
April 8th, 2016 at 8:28:28 PM permalink
Quote: APEppink

Does anyone know of a rigorous mathematical way to check randomness in online houses?

Only if you have access to the RNG implementation. Otherwise, you either have to trust that the regulators did their jobs or, if you're playing at an unregulated joint, uhh, that's on you.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: