Edge21
Edge21
  • Threads: 4
March 11th, 2015 at 1:16:25 PM permalink
Of course your seat doesn't determine how the cards fall...but I was curious as too see how my fellow player's thought or felt about where they sat at a table or if the amount of people at a table affected their "luck" if you would. So please share if you believe that a certain seat helped you or if the amount of people at the game gave you misfortune.

(True AP's/Counter's obviously don't give a damn about where they sit...but this is for the "Superstitious Side of Blackjack" if you don't mind. Thanks for understanding in advance for this silly little post.)

Lot of great responses here about where people would sit and why. Including those of you with the facts and statistics to back it up. Nicely put everybody.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 11th, 2015 at 1:21:11 PM permalink
Quote: Edge21

Of course your seat doesn't determine how the cards fall...but I was curious as too see how my fellow player's thought or felt about where they sat at a table or if the amount of people at a table affected their "luck" if you would. So please share if you believe that a certain seat helped you or if the amount of people at the game gave you misfortune.

(True AP's/Counter's obviously don't give a damn about where they sit...but this is for the "Superstitious Side of Blackjack" if you don't mind. Thanks for understanding in advance for this silly little post.)

I like to sit to the left, I like counting from that spot as othere peoples hands are resolved 1st.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 11th, 2015 at 1:25:48 PM permalink
For Blackjack, I choose my seat by how attractive the dealer is and how fast she can total my hand for me so as my slow playing will not annoy others at the table.

For Poker Variants I'll choose by sitting next to my Personal Tutor who promptly thumps me over the head if I misplay.
Donuts
Donuts
  • Threads: 24
March 11th, 2015 at 1:26:01 PM permalink

Sitting at first base has a VERY small advantage for counters.

That being said, controlling 2-3 spots to monopolize strong counts and depth charge when possible is significantly more valuable. So sit in the middle and do your shoulder workouts so no one sits next to you.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 11th, 2015 at 1:28:00 PM permalink
Always third base to get a little more information. Also, I really enjoy getting yelled at. :-) I may change seats for hole carding. I still get yelled at. Starting to see a pattern here.

I play a lot of heads up.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
March 11th, 2015 at 1:32:41 PM permalink
I'm with 1BB; third base. That little extra info when the cards come out is nice. Plus you have more time to actually count as the dealer gets to you last. Yes, I too enjoy when ploppies yell at me for playing my hand "wrong". If they are getting too obnoxious I will tell them, "you're welcome" every time a play of mine helps them. That usually stops the griping. Plus it provides cover, maybe.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
March 11th, 2015 at 1:33:31 PM permalink
I like 3rd base - for no other reason than when the dealer is drawing I can see them as they flip the card up sooner than if I am sitting at first base (not hole carding, just able to see it as it is flipped over before the rest of table)
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 11th, 2015 at 1:45:19 PM permalink
Sitting at 3rd base actually has a slightly higher SCORE. I prefer the middle of the table so that I can be completely aware of my surroundings and just move my eyes, not turn my head/neck. If you have a little trouble with deck estimation, first or third base could be helpful as you have the shoe or discard tray right in front of you. If there's a smoker at the table, as far away as possible from him/her is the ideal spot.
Biggredd
Biggredd
  • Threads: 1
March 11th, 2015 at 3:20:30 PM permalink
Do a simple test. Get a BJ table set up with 7 positions, get 500 red playing chips for each position and say 2,000 for the house. Using 6 or 8 decks, deal 2,000 hands to each position. With each position, flat bet one chip for the start of each hand (or what ever betting system/strategy you like as long as you use the same for each position). Use basic strategy for playing. For 6 decks, deal 8 hands to each position before you reshuffle for 8 deck deal 10. This will take anywhere from 35 to 45 hours to complete. Tell us what the outcome is.

Lot of great responses here about where people would sit and why. Including those of you with the facts and statistics to back it up. Nicely put everybody.

*note disclaimer* I hate Hypocrites, Liars, Druggies/Drunks and Thieves. I am also considered an ahole in general. I am ok with it, so don't bother pointing it out, I already know.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
March 11th, 2015 at 4:48:55 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Sitting at 3rd base actually has a slightly higher SCORE. I prefer the middle of the table so that I can be completely aware of my surroundings and just move my eyes, not turn my head/neck. If you have a little trouble with deck estimation, first or third base could be helpful as you have the shoe or discard tray right in front of you. If there's a smoker at the table, as far away as possible from him/her is the ideal spot.

Damn! You get to pick your seat? Don't know where all you guys are playing but usually when I show up I have to wait for someone to die to get a seat at the table. In all seriousness, I have never helped anyone die so I could get their seat, I just wait, and that is official. 2F
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
March 11th, 2015 at 6:24:04 PM permalink
I'm not AP but I enjoy the middle seat if possible, though I don't care enough that I would turn down first base or 3rd base if it was the only seat open
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
March 11th, 2015 at 6:55:08 PM permalink
I personally enjoy the seat next to third base. It allows for seeing many hands before me and giving time to count (sometimes necessary with fast dealers and since I don't practice as much as I should). I wonder if there's a difference in peoples' opinion depending on what level counting system they use?
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
March 11th, 2015 at 8:44:04 PM permalink
I like sitting mid-table. I can face the discard tray. I like facing the discard tray. That way I can see it without moving my head. But I always look at the tray before it's my turn to make a decision.
Minty
Minty
March 11th, 2015 at 9:40:18 PM permalink
It's amazing how much strategy goes into something as simple as picking a spot! Definitely hearing good reasons!
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
March 11th, 2015 at 9:46:42 PM permalink
Quote: Minty

It's amazing how much strategy goes into something as simple as picking a spot! Definitely hearing good reasons!

I like sitting at 3rd base if it's the only seat available. The pit sees I sat there because, well, it was the only seat available. But it's the I'm-a-new-card-counter- and-want-to-see-all-the-cards-before-I-make-a-decision seat. So I don't sit there if I have a choice.
Minty
Minty
March 11th, 2015 at 9:54:26 PM permalink
Right, I've heard people can be leery of that. That's why middle and close to the end are nice. You have the opportunity to see many cards and split to multiple hands because of open spots on your left and right, but you aren't RIGHT there at the end. You don't get blamed for "screwing up the rhythm of the cards" as much when you aren't at the end either.
Shadowless
Shadowless
March 12th, 2015 at 2:36:54 AM permalink
For pitch, I rarely play with other people but I like to sit at first base when I do.
When the count justifies a raise for the next hand, I don't like being last to act because the count usually drops by the time it gets to me, making the raise an over bet compared to the current count. The count could continue rising, but I'd rather be first to act according to the count I raised for and when the deck is rich.

For shoe games, since the cards are dealt face up, it doesn't matter where you sit as long as you can see all the cards clearly without making it seem like you're leaning over the table. I prefer middle positions because of this. If you're at first or third, it may be hard to see cards from the opposite end.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 12th, 2015 at 3:50:24 AM permalink
Quote: Shadowless

For pitch, I rarely play with other people but I like to sit at first base when I do.
When the count justifies a raise for the next hand, I don't like being last to act because the count usually drops by the time it gets to me, making the raise an over bet compared to the current count. The count could continue rising, but I'd rather be first to act according to the count I raised for and when the deck is rich.

Huh? What do you mean? If you're saying the count (True Count) decreases, or tends to graduate towards 0 when more cards are dealt....well that's not true. If you mean something else, please explain.

For shoe games, since the cards are dealt face up, it doesn't matter where you sit as long as you can see all the cards clearly without making it seem like you're leaning over the table. I prefer middle positions because of this. If you're at first or third, it may be hard to see cards from the opposite end.

Agreed, even with pitch games. But with pitch games, the dealer oftentimes turns the cards over quickly then throws 'em in the discard rack. Since they use their right hand for this, their hand can block a third baseman's view of the cards. I don't like being at first position or last position because of that. I much rather be in the center of the table.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
March 12th, 2015 at 4:07:51 AM permalink
Perhaps standard operating procedure has changed, but for many previous years dealers tended to not show the burn card where I play. For that reason I preferred first base. When seated at first base that request can be judged as idle curiosity about a card that "would have been mine." Proper theatrics for aces and tens burned encouraged that judgement. I just wanted to see the damn card. Now it seems the burn card is always shown so I don't have to ask.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 12th, 2015 at 4:10:55 AM permalink
Sitting at third base in single deck games will yield a higher SCORE.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 12th, 2015 at 7:02:04 AM permalink
I've sat in every seat, so not like I avoid any... but if I had my absolute choice? Well, if I can I like to sit at the seat just to the right of 3rd base and try to sit in a way that holds both spots for me. This obviously requires 3rd base to be empty. I'll essentially sit between the two spots and bet on the circle to the right of 3rd base. This way I can have another spot in higher counts and keep 1 less person on the table =).

Assuming I can't do that? Eh, 3rd base I guess. I too like to see the card before anyone else (purely for the results of the hand)... and hey, 3rd base is where all the counters sit, right?!?!
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
RS
RS
March 12th, 2015 at 7:06:20 AM permalink
People say they avoid 3rd base because they always get yelled at when they make index plays and the dealer makes a hand. Although that is true, that isn't particular to 3rd base. I get yelled at all the time sitting in other seats.

I've found that the table-coaches or ploppies who want everyone else to do what they want -- in my experience, is usually only on face-up games. In pitch games, there is much less of that. That is, of course, unless you do something like split tens.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
March 12th, 2015 at 7:49:27 PM permalink
I want spot 4.

Doesn't matter if it's in a group or heads-up, although heads-up I'll often take spot 3 on a 7 spot table.

According to my subjective and highly inaccurate observations, it's higher HPH, shoe or pitch.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Shadowless
Shadowless
March 14th, 2015 at 7:10:57 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Huh? What do you mean? If you're saying the count (True Count) decreases, or tends to graduate towards 0 when more cards are dealt....well that's not true. If you mean something else, please explain.

It is only true if the remaining pack is rich in tens. The count must go back to zero in a balanced count. If the remaining cards are rich in tens, those tens are likely to be drawn from the players before you if they need to hit/split/double. Thus, when it gets to third base, the true count may fall to a count where a minimum bet makes more sense, making the raised bet unjustified especially if you have a non-15/16 stiff vs a face. Of course, the count could still rise by the time it gets to third base, making the bet acceptable. Or, you could be dealt a pat hand and not have to worry.
RS
RS
March 14th, 2015 at 11:41:11 AM permalink

It is only true if the remaining pack is rich in tens. The count must go back to zero in a balanced count. If the remaining cards are rich in tens, those tens are likely to be drawn from the players before you if they need to hit/split/double. Thus, when it gets to third base, the true count may fall to a count where a minimum bet makes more sense, making the raised bet unjustified especially if you have a non-15/16 stiff vs a face. Of course, the count could still rise by the time it gets to third base, making the bet acceptable. Or, you could be dealt a pat hand and not have to worry.

The True Count tends to stay the same, not gravitate to zero (if it is non-zero). The running count will tend towards 0.

It doesn't matter where you're sitting, if you begin a round at a TC of +4, every seat at the table has the same advantage at the beginning of the round. Sit wherever you want, but first base and third base are EXACTLY the same when it comes to betting.

Third base is a sliver better than first when it comes to playing efficiency, only because every time he acts, he gets to see an extra 0-5 cards (deeper pen, if you will) than the first base player.
  • Jump to: