Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
February 12th, 2015 at 1:06:10 AM permalink
I would like to know, precicely, what the definition of "unit" is. In the glossary at Bj21 it defines it thus: Unit. This generally means a card counter's minimum bet. When a counter is spreading $25 to $200 and says he won 10 units, he means he won $250. Although if he is speading $50 to $200 with only an occasional $25 bet, he might be talking about $50 units.

I have noticed some confusion and misunderstanding in a couple of threads in the forums here, so I was hoping for clarification. I've always used the term to define the number of my minimum wagers, like the definition above. But I think some define units as the table minimum bet. This would be contrary to the definition above. Why the discrepancy?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 12th, 2015 at 1:13:34 AM permalink
Nobody refers to a unit as being the table minimum..at least they shouldn't be. They either refer to unit as:

- The minimum bet you make
Or
- The first increased wager (ie TC +2). In other words, the amount you bet for every 0.5% advantage.

In reality, the term unit is a weird one. For someone spreading 1-100 ($5-$500), it doesn't really make sense to say they won 1,000 units ($5000) since that's really just 10 big bets.

I prefer to use the term "big/max bets" instead of "unit" when saying "I won X number of (units/max bets)."
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
February 12th, 2015 at 1:23:03 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Nobody refers to a unit as being the table minimum..at least they shouldn't be. They either refer to unit as:

- The minimum bet you make
Or
- The first increased wager (ie TC +2). In other words, the amount you bet for every 0.5% advantage.

In reality, the term unit is a weird one. For someone spreading 1-100 ($5-$500), it doesn't really make sense to say they won 1,000 units ($5000) since that's really just 10 big bets.

I prefer to use the term "big/max bets" instead of "unit" when saying "I won X number of (units/max bets)."

So if you're betting $25 to $200 (a 1-8 spread) and you said you won 10 units, or $250, this is very straight forward. What other way than this is there to define units (if the table minium bet isn't the answer)?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
February 12th, 2015 at 1:37:20 AM permalink
Most of those books from the 80's and 90's define unit as your minimum wager. I used this definition as well for a long time, until I learned what I now refer to as the Munchkin/big player definition of unit, which is basically the second of RS's definitions....amount wagered per increment of advantage and that increment of advantage is usually .5% advantage, although some do 1%. I call it the Munchkin/big player definition because they are the two posters that I learned it from. Munchkin is obviously Richard Munchkin and big player is a poster on several blackjack sites. He was a long time member of a pretty famous team and is a member of the BJ HoF.

It turns out that definition: amount wagered per increment of advantage is the definition that most professional players and most of the different teams used ranging from the various MIT teams, to Tommy Hyland's teams, to Al Francesco's teams (ken uston), to the various European teams. If you get your hands on one of the manuals from one of these teams, this will be the definition of unit that is used.

To explain it a little better I will use an example. Lets say a player is playing a $25 minimum table and spreading $25-$500.
His ramp is:

$25 at all true counts below +1
$100 @ TC +2 (when he has about a .5% advantage, depending on exact rules)
$200 @ TC +3 (1% advantage)
$300 @ TC +4 (1.5% advantage)
$400 @ TC +5 (2% advantage)
and max bet of $500 @ TC +6 or greater, which is about 2.5% advantage or better)

The player's unit is $100, which is what he bets per increment of .5% advantage. The $25 wager is NOT the unit. It is just the minimum wager. The minimum wager is usually a fraction of the true unit.

At a $15 table the player could use the same ramp and unit ($100 per increment of advantage). At a $50 minimum table he could also use the same ramp and unit. All that would change is the minimum wager.

Keep in mind, this was just an example used to illustrate the point, far from an optimal spread and/or ramp.

Again this is the true definition of unit that most profession players and team's use. But most of the books and recreational players use a definition more in line with minimum wager.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
February 12th, 2015 at 1:38:34 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I would like to know, percicely, what the definition of "unit" is. In the glossary at Bj21 it defines it thus: Unit. This generally means a card counter's minimum bet. When a counter is spreading $25 to $200 and says he won 10 units, he means he won $250. Although if he is speading $50 to $200 with only an occasional $25 bet, he might be talking about $50 units.

I have noticed some confusion and misunderstanding in a couple of threads in the forums here, so I was hoping for clarification. I've always used the term to define the number of my minimum wagers, like the definition above. But I think some define units as the table minimum bet. This would be contrary to the definition above. Why the discrepancy?

The unit is the lowest bet you make. It can be less than the table minimum if you do not at least double your bet when you reach +.5% advantage. If $1 was your unit at a $5 table, the table minimum is 5 units.

The table minimum is often the same as the betting unit because you can make no smaller bet, and you will be frequently making that bet. It's not a causative relationship, and some people get irritated when you equate the table minimum to a betting unit. However, I see nothing wrong with it.

If you usually bet more than the table minimum in unfavorable counts, your betting unit is not the table minimum.

Some people ignore what they bet in unfavorable counts, considering it a fractional unit or a partial wong. They consider their first increase in bet at the earliest advantage as their betting unit.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
February 12th, 2015 at 1:56:57 AM permalink
Thanks Kewlj, RS and bish for your detailed and thorough answers. Very informative.
Wino
Wino
  • Threads: 45
February 13th, 2015 at 2:56:26 AM permalink
Thanks for the info. I enjoy learning something new everyday. :-)
Wanda Wilcox: “I can’t stand people. I hate them.” Chinaski: “Oh, yeah?” Wanda: “You hate them?” Chinaski: “No, but I seem to feel better when they’re not around.” Barfly, starring Mickey Rourke
  • Jump to: