Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
April 1st, 2014 at 11:37:04 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Not always but it is rare when I don't. The Newport room at Foxwoods is one place where I would think twice about it.

Really? I basically quit doing that because of ploppies. If they don't attack you with knives, they will literally point at you and whisper counter...unless you are betting small, then they will scream idiot. How do you handle that? I still occasionally split heads-up, or if it is a table full of proto-ploppies. It's not so much cover play, as much as it is I don't want to get murdered in the parking lot.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 1st, 2014 at 12:25:10 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

Really? I basically quit doing that because of ploppies. If they don't attack you with knives, they will literally point at you and whisper counter...unless you are betting small, then they will scream idiot. How do you handle that? I still occasionally split heads-up, or if it is a table full of proto-ploppies. It's not so much cover play, as much as it is I don't want to get murdered in the parking lot.

There are other players at the table? I've liked this saying ever since I saw it on another site many moons ago.

I ignore most of them. When I can't do that a cold stare can work. I've offered to sell them my hand and I've asked the know it all what the next card will be. The few times that counting gets mentioned I just laugh it off.

The goal is to keep attention away from the table. I never make playing decisions based on what others think. On close plays like a three card 16 against a 10 or 12 against a 3 I'll sometimes ask for their advice. That really throws them off and you become one of them.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
April 1st, 2014 at 12:33:28 PM permalink

There are other players at the table? I've liked this saying ever since I saw it on another site many moons ago.

I ignore most of them. When I can't do that a cold stare can work. I've offered to sell them my hand and I've asked the know it all what the next card will be. The few times that counting gets mentioned I just laugh it off.

The goal is to keep attention away from the table. I never make playing decisions based on what others think. On close plays like a three card 16 against a 10 or 12 against I'll sometimes ask for their advice. That really throws them off and you become one of them.

Well, whatever you're doing, I haven't acquired the ability to handle it well yet. I split when I first began, and I got tired of the hostility and added heat that came with my increasingly higher bets--although soft 20 is not treated the same (because ploppies are stupid), so I generally follow the index. Keep in mind I never play short sessions. If I go to Vegas, tho, your advice may be useful.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 3rd, 2014 at 10:16:47 AM permalink

Large counts are the biggest distraction for me. I get nervous, less calm. If I lose the count, this is where it would happen. It's not difficult to ballpark if you don't cap your bets.

I am exactly the same way. When the count sucks I have no problem keeping it. When the RC gets up to +30 or +40 (I use KISS III so no TC conversion, and these would be approx. +10 to +15 RC using Hi Lo) and I've got my huge bets up there, I start to sweat (literally) and am apt to lose the count. I'm getting better, but it's how I know I'm an amateur :).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
April 5th, 2014 at 3:59:42 PM permalink

Me too.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 134
April 6th, 2014 at 6:10:56 AM permalink

Could you or someone tell me what the definition of "Porto-ploppies" is? I know what a ploppy is.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
April 6th, 2014 at 11:07:22 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Could you or someone tell me what the definition of "Porto-ploppies" is? I know what a ploppy is.

LOL. It's just made up. It's like how most vampires come from Dracula or one of his lieutenants. Someone invents all those terrible ideas you hear at the blackjack table.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 134
April 6th, 2014 at 12:27:10 PM permalink

LOL. It's just made up. It's like how most vampires come from Dracula or one of his lieutenants. Someone invents all those terrible ideas you hear at the blackjack table.

Sorry, I don't get the definition.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
April 6th, 2014 at 5:56:04 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

Sorry, I don't get the definition.

LOL. It just means a really really bad ploppy, not your average ploppy. Super ploppy.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
April 6th, 2014 at 7:15:07 PM permalink
Is it just me or do we have a lot of new people entering the hobby/profession of card counting lately?? I mean, if this forum is a reliable indicator of such.

I wonder if it's just coincidence or if there are real world factors that lead to the influx. I'd think a bad economy, high unemployment rate would always be catalysts.

I wish you luck (or should I say, I wish you positive variance during +EV counts ) OP, let us know how it goes.

• Jump to: