Thread Rating:

scepticus
scepticus
  • Threads: 4
October 16th, 2013 at 5:43:29 AM permalink
In a roulette forum a guy called Houston claimed that betting on the last five numbers in roulette was a winning formula. What do you guys think of this sure-fire system ?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 16th, 2013 at 5:59:03 AM permalink
I think know it's not a 'sure-fire' system.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 16th, 2013 at 10:19:46 AM permalink
Quote: scepticus

In a roulette forum a guy called Houston claimed that betting on the last five numbers in roulette was a winning formula. What do you guys think of this sure-fire system ?

I've seen somewhere that suggested the 5 last numbers are very, very slightly more likely to turn up that random chance dictates, on certain wheels with certain other circumstances. But not enough that it would give you a 'winning formula'. I can't find the reference in 30 seconds of searching though.

But if you are going to gamble on roulette, it's as bad or as good as any other system I've heard about. Each bet has the same edge as any other, and single numbers pay out nicely if you do hit (though less often, so more likely to burn your buy in quickly as well).

(shrug)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
October 16th, 2013 at 11:15:27 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I can't find the reference in 30 seconds of searching though.

I think it's This one.

Not a sure-fire system for sure and even if it has it merits the conditions must be right(high chi-square and consistent rotor speed) for it to work(diminish the HE a bit,but no guaranties for overcoming it).
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 16th, 2013 at 11:27:22 AM permalink
With roulette, it's always been my belief that it's better to bet on patterns than against them. Why, you ask?

If the roulette wheel is not biased, then the odds of those numbers reappearing are exactly the same as the odds of those number appearing, and you stand at your 5.26% HE. If the roulette wheel IS biased, then the odds of those number appearing are higher, and your HE is less than 5.26% if you rebet those numbers. If you bet against those numbers and the roulette wheel IS biased, the the odds of those numbers NOT appearing is lower, and your HE is more than 5.26%.

Now I don't believe for a second that today's roulette wheels are biased, but there's a community on this forum that believes otherwise.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 16th, 2013 at 12:27:22 PM permalink
Quote: scepticus

Silliness personified. How's that for brevity. Study the
nature of random outcomes for about 5min and you'll
come to the same conclusion.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 16th, 2013 at 8:09:13 PM permalink
There's some logic to it. This could slightly lower the house edge if the wheel is biased. It's definitely better than chasing cold numbers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 16th, 2013 at 8:52:17 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

There's some logic to it. This could slightly lower the house edge if the wheel is biased. .

Yes, and if I was born in England I might be royalty.
Fat chance, same as finding the right biased wheel.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
October 17th, 2013 at 6:35:57 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

With roulette, it's always been my belief that it's better to bet on patterns than against them. Why, you ask?

If the roulette wheel is not biased, then the odds of those numbers reappearing are exactly the same as the odds of those number appearing, and you stand at your 5.26% HE. If the roulette wheel IS biased, then the odds of those number appearing are higher.

Looks like Pascal's Wager to me. Yet, here, contrary to Pascal, you have nothing to lose by choosing those numbers, so why not?)
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
scepticus
scepticus
  • Threads: 4
October 18th, 2013 at 6:49:55 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

Looks like Pascal's Wager to me. Yet, here, contrary to Pascal, you have nothing to lose by choosing those numbers, so why not?)

Only your money it seems to me.
  • Jump to: