Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
May 29th, 2016 at 8:58:42 PM permalink
You are absolutely correct

What I hate more then anything there is that with the double platinum card they put a table cloth on the buffet, they also did this at Seminole hard rock and I frigging hate it every time
No longer hiring, donít ask because I wonít hire you either
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
May 29th, 2016 at 9:06:26 PM permalink
I'm contemplating a trip in July so thanks for all the replies. I might check out the Hard Rock buffet but I still think that Beau Rivage is better.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 50
June 7th, 2016 at 12:12:00 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Waffle houses everywhere in southeast. But yes, In biloxi the concentration is absurd. More waffle houses than McDonald's, one like every three blocks from ocean springs to bay st louis

I previously wrote about my Waffle House experiences, usually quite good. Previous posts by others mentioned food being dropped on the floor (then served), servers' lack of teeth, excessive tattoos, etc.

Today, I couldn't eat breakfast at home because of medical tests, so I stopped by Waffle House. It was the back side of the breakfast rush, and things had slowed down. The discussion I had with the manager may interest gamblers who travel to southern Mississippi or other places where one sees Waffle Houses "every three blocks."

The manager was probably in her mid-20s and reported she worked 8-hour shifts most Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights while attending college. She said her hourly wage paid her about $100/night, but that her tips often matched that. "It paid for my college degree," she told me. Hmmm... $25/hour. Not bad for a part-time, student job.

When I asked about her experience as a Waffle House manager, she gave me a card that directed me to the "whcareers-dot-com" site (or search for "Waffle House careers"). New employees hired as managers are trained by the company and placed managing a restaurant in under 6 months at salaries between $41K and $55K. The company promotes from within, frequently after only 2-to-3 years, with pay between $62K and $85K for its District managers (responsible for 2-to-3 restaurants). Good pay (but, it is a 24-hour-a-day operation). My server, who had worked at Waffle House less than a year (but, with experience at several other national restaurants) said the company had great benefits, calling particular attention to the health insurance. It's a privately held company with a very flat organizational structure (and generous stock options). Heck, the executive vice president doesn't even have an office at corporate HQ (Norcross, GA) because he supervises by working in their restaurants, cooking, serving, and leading by example.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the reason we see so many Waffle House restaurants is not because Waffle House serves food that was dropped on the floor, but rather because it serves its people, both its customers and its employees. You don't have to be a management consultant to figure out Waffle House is doing something right.

As for myself, I still like to sit at the counter seat immediately beside the cash register on a busy morning. The "crew" puts on a great show, and I get to hear folk's (overwhelmingly positive) comments as they pay for their meals.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 7th, 2016 at 7:31:01 PM permalink
LuckyPhow, I like your post, this post.
I don't care for most posts.....
I invite you to share other thoughts that occur to you, to share them with the rest of us.
Guess I'm saying thanks. 2F
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
June 8th, 2016 at 5:34:00 AM permalink
I like Waffle House for breakfast. I also like to sit adjacent to kitchen and watch the "ballet" as LuckyPhow described. Back when the Treasure Bay was a pirate ship, I would stay at the Edgewater and have breakfast at the WH, that was essentially in their parking lot, on the way over to the TB.

Although, I do remember this exchange that happened at a WH somewhere along I-75 many, many years ago:

(Walks into Waffle House with a friend)
Waitress: "Mornin'!"
Buddy: "Morning? It's 6:30 in the evening!"
Waitress: "It's always morning at Waffle House!"
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 26
June 8th, 2016 at 7:04:08 AM permalink
My favorite all time moment happened years ago in Athens, GA. It was the time of morning when the local house of ill repute closed and the workers came in for breakfast. Such language amongst the divas!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
January 26th, 2018 at 3:16:29 PM permalink
Hard Rock Biloxi made it clear that they are not replacing their human bartenders but have merely installed two drink serving robots near the check in area of the lobby as a way of being viewed as "hip" since there is a Robot Bar in Las Vegas.
IAchance5
IAchance5
  • Threads: 41
February 9th, 2018 at 7:19:47 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Hard Rock Biloxi made it clear that they are not replacing their human bartenders but have merely installed two drink serving robots near the check in area of the lobby as a way of being viewed as "hip" since there is a Robot Bar in Las Vegas.

Are the drinks free or do you have to put up your credit card? I'm assuming you are talking alcoholic drinks....
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
February 9th, 2018 at 1:40:27 PM permalink
Quote: IAchance5

Are the drinks free ... s....

Beats me. I got the info from a press release they issued. I understand its sort of a serving area for those waiting on line to register or something. Its really just a "Its being done in Vegas, so we are doing it here" but only for TWO robots, not intending to replace all bartenders. I assume the desk clerks will be expected to 86 repeat guzzlers.
IAchance5
IAchance5
  • Threads: 41
April 4th, 2018 at 6:33:41 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Beats me. I got the info from a press release they issued. I understand its sort of a serving area for those waiting on line to register or something. Its really just a "Its being done in Vegas, so we are doing it here" but only for TWO robots, not intending to replace all bartenders. I assume the desk clerks will be expected to 86 repeat guzzlers.

Going to be at the HR in 2 weeks, so I'll check out that "drink machine" and let you know......been mostly playing at the Scarlet Pearl in Biloxi, but need to get my tier status back up for the summer at the HR.....

• Jump to: