billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 28th, 2018 at 11:44:49 PM permalink
Anyone done this route? I was reading it's a decent way to beat the Sunday afternoon exodus. I'm told it works great when 15 is a parking lot but on a normal Sunday does it have any advantages?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 29th, 2018 at 1:48:52 AM permalink
So, it sounds like the pinstripe junket is tomorrow... and your Damnyankees w/ CC Sabathia are only +105, so slight dogs vs. Anaheim & Tyler Skaggs in the overnights this time, unlike the other two in this series. The o/u total has also moved up to 8.5 runs for this, which is actually somewhat high compared to the average game in that distinctly pitcher friendly ballpark.

Sorry, no specific road info here; I haven't done that route. But from many miles of experiences on many other similar roads across the Mojave I do know that I'd strongly prefer to be taking two-lane "blue highway" roads like that one right now, or in the next month or so, in the toasty but dry summer season of April & May & at least part of June. So IMO, speaking generally, I believe now is the ideal time of year to be exploring & using those kinds of roads that criss-cross a lot of this desert.

And not later, in the "other summer" in the Mojave Desert, when the onset of monsoon season starts to crank up some short but fierce thunderstorms and sudden flash floods roaring down desert washes & right over the top of those roadways that aren't built with big drainage channels & viaducts. I've seen many of them that made a sudden on the spot white-knuckle change of plans necessary, but for a big fat example that got some regional publicity (and billable hours for a flock of attorneys) I think it was summer before last that dozens of people had a really bad day on a similar road I'm familiar with, about an hour outside Las Vegas in the other direction. A typical late afternoon monsoon thunderstorm miles away from them way up in the hills produced a sudden big whoosh that came crashing and whirling down between those hills and across the highway, and snatched up a whole great big double-decker luxury tour bus and took it way off where cell phones don't roam and coyotes cry from loneliness, before finally turning them loose.

But across this desert from here to Mexico that's pretty much a July & August freaky show, with maybe a small slice of June sometimes or a bit of September thrown in, not now. So I think this weekend it's a great idea for you to check out that slightly loopy route which I haven't seen down to beautiful Baker and the fabulous thermometer, and come back to tell about it in detail.

Bon voyage.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 29th, 2018 at 2:48:42 AM permalink
Wasn't there a group of German tourists that got lost in that area and it took 23 years or something to find their remains.
It was a big Search and Rescue issue.
Tourists were in a two wheel drive vehicle in a four wheel drive part of death valley after leaving Baker.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 29th, 2018 at 2:48:43 AM permalink
I'll post a link shortly

Wikipedia has some but best source is a retired SAR volunteer with Riverside Mountain Rescue:
http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

The author and I have differing views on a semi-retired Saab loving Mormon golf-club designer who supposedly disappeared from a wilderness area one town distant from the SAR volunteer's home. He thinks its a voluntary 'gone missing', the family thinks he got lost in the wilderness area (freezing temperatures, mountain lions, his off-trail proclivities) and I lean toward homicide in a location unrelated to the wilderness area.
Last edited by: FleaStiff on Apr 29, 2018
  • Jump to: