Thread Rating:

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 26th, 2023 at 9:17:33 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

There are many tech/devise savvy members here on the forum. With all the noise and investigations ongoing about Tik Toc, specifically about capturing and compromising personal data, I wonder how many of those afore-mentioned members have downloaded such on their personal devises. For those who have, what remedies, if any, are available to relieve personal data theft?

I personally do not engage in any social media with the one exception of this forum, i.e., no facebook, twitter, etc. Would it be prudent to divorce your devises from tic toc and abandon it forever??

tuttigym
link to original post

The most you can do is delete your TikTok account and remove the app.

If you wanted to be extra paranoid you could do a factory reset on the device, but I don’t think that’s necessary, especially on iOS.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 26th, 2023 at 9:28:11 AM permalink
I'd suggest avoiding the internet entirely. Don't give the Reds the opportunity to sieze your internet history and blackmail you.
Do be Vigilant. Don't be a Herb.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 26th, 2023 at 9:43:50 AM permalink
The words “opt out” should be banned in all kinds of sales. “Opt in” should be the only thing allowed. For instance, “if you would like to opt-in to to letting us share information with all our affiliates please check this box”. Not essentially, “failure to check the opt out box or we will sell your information to our affiliates”:

Yeah, the whole TikTok thing resurfaced my discontent with virtually the way we are sold out to everyone, not just China.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 26th, 2023 at 9:58:44 AM permalink

lately, I'm getting upset with the word "guard"
why is a "u" in there - there's no "u" sound
I don't know any other word that puts a "u" in there and the sound of the word is like "guard"

it's just not right - and it never should have been spelled that way - it's a terrible, terrible thing

Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 26th, 2023 at 10:29:24 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I don't know any other word that puts a "u" in there and the sound of the word is like "guard"

it's just not right - and it never should have been spelled that way - it's a terrible, terrible thing

link to original post

Okay, but, hear me out for a second.
Why are there states in the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, part of Indiana) that are in the EASTERN time zone?

It makes no damn sense. Colorado and Wyoming should be considered the “MidWEST” states.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 26th, 2023 at 10:43:31 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

Okay, but, hear me out for a second.
Why are there states in the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan, part of Indiana) that are in the EASTERN time zone?

It makes no damn sense. Colorado and Wyoming should be considered the “MidWEST” states.
link to original post

you rocked on top with that one

and what's this bull**** with changing the clocks twice a year

why not just put it at the half hour and leave it that way

gimme a ******* break - like life isn't tough enough without that

vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
Dieter
March 26th, 2023 at 11:19:28 AM permalink

link to original post

50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
March 26th, 2023 at 12:25:56 PM permalink

link to original post

Gauge is vaguely different.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 26th, 2023 at 12:33:15 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

Gauge is vaguely different.
link to original post

imagine somebody new to the English language and trying to pronounce them as they're spelled______

g(you)ard

ga(you)ge

g(you)est_________________it definitely could happen________________(-:/

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 26th, 2023 at 12:46:24 PM permalink

There are many tech/devise savvy members here on the forum. With all the noise and investigations ongoing about Tik Toc, specifically about capturing and compromising personal data, I wonder how many of those afore-mentioned members have downloaded such on their personal devises. For those who have, what remedies, if any, are available to relieve personal data theft?

I personally do not engage in any social media with the one exception of this forum, i.e., no facebook, twitter, etc. Would it be prudent to divorce your devises from tic toc and abandon it forever??

tuttigym
link to original post

I personally don't care if anyone tracks my internet habits but have also never used TikTok.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 26th, 2023 at 5:11:26 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

link to original post

link to original post

Guarantee
Guess
Guide
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
March 26th, 2023 at 5:33:52 PM permalink
Guillotine

100% risk of ruin
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 26th, 2023 at 6:12:07 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: vegas

link to original post

link to original post

Guarantee
Guess
Guide
link to original post

Welcome back BBB. I mean this sincerely…. the forum misses you! Hope you are back as an active poster/moderator.

There is a new eclipse thread that I think of you every time I access it! It was a great WoV get together….
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
AxelWolf
March 26th, 2023 at 7:00:04 PM permalink
Yacht is a word that sounds like it should have a u in it but doesn't. Like ought. Welcome back BBB. We have missed you
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Dieter
March 27th, 2023 at 3:59:11 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Welcome back BBB. I mean this sincerely…. the forum misses you! Hope you are back as an active poster/moderator.
link to original post

I second that!

Name still in green too!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 27th, 2023 at 10:23:07 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

tuttigym
link to original post

I personally don't care if anyone tracks my internet habits but have also never used TikTok.
link to original post

It's not "internet habits" but all personal info such as banking, spending, medical, friends, family, leisure, politics, any info available through your devises. Basically every keystroke you produce can be accessed.

tuttigym
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
March 27th, 2023 at 10:33:29 AM permalink
Two New Bills on TikTok and Beyond: The DATA Act and RESTRICT Act - Lawfare https://www.lawfareblog.com/two-new-bills-tiktok-and-beyond-data-act-and-restrict-act

I'm sure certain tweeters are having a horror-fit about these new proposals.
DRich
DRich
March 27th, 2023 at 11:55:59 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

It's not "internet habits" but all personal info such as banking, spending, medical, friends, family, leisure, politics, any info available through your devises. Basically every keystroke you produce can be accessed.

tuttigym
link to original post

From this article in Wired it makes it sound like they are just tracking TikTok interactions and not things outside of the app. I have never used TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. Yesterday my iphone told me that I have 11 minutes per day of usage. I would guess 95% of that is just texting people.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tiktok-data-privacy
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 27th, 2023 at 2:07:33 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

How paranoid do you want to be?
Is it enough?

I assume that my carrier and Apple or Google* know everything that is on the phone, or is said near the phone, and what might be coming out of any nearby TV or radio.

If there is an Alexa or Facebook device nearby, then Amazon or Facebook*, too.

Samsung TV or phone or tablet... Samsung.

You gotta trust someone, or forego networked technology.

*: Alphabet/Meta, if you prefer.
billryan
billryan
March 27th, 2023 at 3:13:18 PM permalink
I'm unsure if I mentioned this here or on another forum, but I think it bears repeating.
I keep an Alexa speaker in my rear window so I can listen to music while outside. so I'm having a discussion about sword and sorcery movies from our youth- Sons of Hercules, etc ,etc hen someone brings up a Jack Palance movie that fits the bill. None of us recall the movies name but two insist that Palances brother was also in it. That night, I'm laying in bed and turn on my Amazon firestick and the 1962 Jack Palance movie pops up on the lists of movies I might be interested in.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
March 27th, 2023 at 3:14:32 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

tuttigym
link to original post

How paranoid do you want to be?
Is it enough?

I assume that my carrier and Apple or Google* know everything that is on the phone, or is said near the phone, and what might be coming out of any nearby TV or radio.

If there is an Alexa or Facebook device nearby, then Amazon or Facebook*, too.

Samsung TV or phone or tablet... Samsung.

You gotta trust someone, or forego networked technology.

*: Alphabet/Meta, if you prefer.
link to original post

Trust no one and nothing.
Be pure. Be Vigilant. Behave.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
March 27th, 2023 at 3:16:30 PM permalink
The Devil went down to Alexa and Alexa began to speak.
rxwine
rxwine
March 27th, 2023 at 3:28:18 PM permalink
New AI can do a pretty good job simulating emotion, but does’t actually feel anything. So, basically a sociopath.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 28th, 2023 at 1:31:49 AM permalink

we poke fun at ChatBots and their errors
but all of this stuff keeps getting better
imagine what they might be able to do in 10 years
and how tech will change the world in 25 years
I'm not ocd but I admit it - I have a fear of tech
that as it changes I won't be able to adapt
that I'll be left behind

rxwine
rxwine
March 28th, 2023 at 6:36:11 AM permalink

we poke fun at ChatBots and their errors
but all of this stuff keeps getting better
imagine what they might be able to do in 10 years
and how tech will change the world in 25 years
I'm not ocd but I admit it - I have a fear of tech
that as it changes I won't be able to adapt
that I'll be left behind

link to original post

I've often thought the perfect bot will come in handy if you end up in a nursing home in your last days. You might be much happier to have a tireless companion to chat with and assist you unlike the more typical overall experience at those times. On the other hand, your assistant might rip out one of your arms trying to help you out of bed in some sort of terrible malfunction or stick you in the shower with just the hot water turned on, or force your entire meal down your throat while singing your favorite songs.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 28th, 2023 at 9:57:22 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I've often thought the perfect bot will come in handy if you end up in a nursing home in your last days. You might be much happier to have a tireless companion to chat with and assist you unlike the more typical overall experience at those times. On the other hand, your assistant might rip out one of your arms trying to help you out of bed in some sort of terrible malfunction or stick you in the shower with just the hot water turned on, or force your entire meal down your throat while singing your favorite songs.
link to original post

This reads like a good premise for a short story or a short film.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
March 28th, 2023 at 9:43:45 PM permalink
Big shot Bob for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlISbpQntg
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 29th, 2023 at 1:41:22 AM permalink

Scientists in Brazil were able to capture clear images of a lightning strike with a camera that records 40,000 images per second__________pretty cool

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/28/science/lightning-rod-video.html

DRich
DRich
Thanked by
billryan
March 31st, 2023 at 2:23:24 PM permalink
Did you know there is a commercial airport that only has one flight per day? I did not.

I bought a last minute airline ticket for a domestic coach seat and it was $1,984. Ouch. I have never paid even near that for a domestic coach ticket.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 5th, 2023 at 12:19:08 PM permalink

malls and anchor stores are under pressure now
a large mall near me just closed - the Nordstrom there closed and previously Sears
Nordstrom and Macy's are now closing stores
but not yet close to closing great numbers of them - but maybe that is not too far in the future

Nordstrom has completely shut down in Canada - Bed Bath and Beyond is closing a great no. of stores and is under intense pressure and will prolly disappear soon

people love shopping online - and we may have shot ourselves in the foot

spending a lazy weekend winter day in a mall can be an enjoyable thing - lots of tempting food choices as well as people watching

of course, physical stores are extremely costly and Execs have to decide whether or not to keep them open

things keep changing - but they don't always change for the better

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 5, 2023
DRich
DRich
April 5th, 2023 at 1:27:55 PM permalink

malls and anchor stores are under pressure now
a large mall near me just closed - the Nordstrom there closed and previously Sears
Nordstrom and Macy's are now closing stores
but not yet close to closing great numbers of them - but maybe that is not too far in the future

Nordstrom has completely shut down in Canada - Bed Bath and Beyond is closing a great no. of stores and is under intense pressure and will prolly disappear soon

people love shopping online - and we may have shot ourselves in the foot

spending a lazy weekend winter day in a mall can be an enjoyable thing - lots of tempting food choices as well as people watching

of course physical stores are extremely costly and Execs have to decide whether or not to keep them open

things keep changing - but they don't always change for the better

link to original post

I don't know that I have been in a shopping mall in ten years. The only stores I go to occasionally are Home Depot and Target.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 5th, 2023 at 2:50:57 PM permalink
Criminals in Tennessee are breaking into cars to steal guns because it is a permitless open carry state.
Other states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming have similar permitless carry laws on the books.
Florida just joined the ranks.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
April 5th, 2023 at 4:09:23 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Criminals in Tennessee are breaking into cars to steal guns because it is a permitless open carry state.
Other states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming have similar permitless carry laws on the books.
link to original post

I live in Tennessee. Do you have a source for this claim about what Tennessee criminals are doing?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 5th, 2023 at 6:53:31 PM permalink
Just an interview on TV from one of the three Dem Reps getting expelled from the Tennessee House for promoting the protest against guns by hordes of teens at the state capitol last week following a mass shooting at a school.
The GOP aim to arm the teachers with firearms nationwide.
If Republicans vote to remove the three members on Thursday, they might not be gone for long. The Tennessee Democratic Party is already fundraising to back the three in special elections. If constituents send them back, Tennessee’s Constitution does not allow members to be expelled twice for the same offense.
Tennessee Republicans push to expel lawmakers may set future precedent https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/05/tennessee-house-lawmaker-expulsion-vote-future-of-gop/70081721007/

Tennessee House GOP moves to expel 3 Democrats after participation in gun control protest | PBS NewsHour https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/tennessee-house-gop-moves-to-expel-3-democrats-after-participation-in-gun-control-protest

RT: I think their teacher shortage is about to increase.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Apr 5, 2023
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
April 5th, 2023 at 8:21:25 PM permalink
Online sports book account manager texted me today:

Axel, this is Melvin(interesting their name always starts with Mason, Malcome. Myels) your account manager.
I wanted to let you know I have an exciting offer for you. It's a 300% bonus on your next 3 deposits. The max bonus per deposit is $2500 the minimum deposit amount is $100.

Me: Is that in the casino slots or for sports?

Melvin: It's for sports. If you want a casino slot bonus I can get you a 200% bonus on top of that.

Me: What's the rollover on the sports bonus?

Melvin:15x wagering.

Me: surly you must mean 100% on my next 3 deposits. if so, that's not a 300% bonus, that's just a 100% bonus 3 different times.

Melvin: Yes, 100% 3 times is 300%, just like I said. How much would you like to deposit today?

Me: 300%

Melvin: You mean $300?

No: 300%

Melvin: Yes, you get 300%. How much money would you like to deposit today?

Me: $33.34

Melvin: I'm sorry Axel but the minimum deposit required for this bonus is $100

Me: Ya, I know, 33.34 3 times is $100.2 😁

Melvin: I'm sorry Axel, but you can't do it that way it must be a single deposit of $100 or more to be eligible.

Me: I think I'll pass for now, let me know when you have 125% or more sports bonus and ill come in for the max. Places are offering me 125% - 150%.

Melvin: I will contact my manager and see what we can do for you. Keep in mind we have fast payouts and a great reputation, but you already know that. Places offering big bonuses like that do not always have the best reputations and fast payout as we do.

I will contact you soon and let you know if I can get you a 125% bonus.

Have a great day Axel.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2023 at 9:05:11 PM permalink
James Reavis died in obscurity and broke, after living his last years in a poor house. Just thirty years before, he was one of the richest men in Arizona and was offered twnty five million dollars to go away.
Reavis was born in the East and joined the Confederate Army at the start of the Civil War. He proved to be an excellant scavenger and got out of fighting because his abilities usually had him far from battle. He soon switched sides and became a specialist in producing fake Confederate documents.
He may have had a Spanish speaking grandmother and he used his ability to speak spanish to help some of the original settlers when he moved to Texas, whose land deeds predated American interests. He learned that the US Government was honoring Spanish land grants, as long as they could be documented.
Not much is really known about where he spent the next fifteen years but speculation is he spent much of it in Spain, working as a volunteer at religious institutes of learning. Working in the library, Reavis was able to plant fake documents into official records, where they would be discovered years later and thought to be real.
Returning to Arizona in 1879, he went around the Territory burying stones that marked the boundries of the make believe Land Grant he was creating. Someone searching a library in spain would find an old paper that contained the location of a boundry stone, and a search would " discover" the stone right where it said. It must have seemed quite convincing.
When all was in readiness, he and his wife produced paperwork showing they were the decendents of the owners of 120,000 square miles of land, including Phoenix, Tucson and the entire Grand Canyon. Their records showed they even owned the land the government was trying to give to the Apaches and Navaho.
Reavis wanted to be a Baron. He was quite benevolent and offered very fair terms. If it was going to cost a farmer $100 to fight him in court, he would settle for $30, which the farmer would gladly pay to save $70. It was literally cheaper to recognize his claim and settle than to fight him. Soon he was collecting more than a million dollars in rent. His claims were interfering with the Administrations plans for the new Territory and they were concerned with all the new mining operations falling into the hands of a single man so they entered into negotiations with him to quitclaim his land.
While this was going on, Reavis and his wife pissed off a lot of powerful people. They drove around town in a carraige drawn by six white horses and dressed like European Nobility. He supposedly turned down twenty five million dollars which annoyed the US Government which then decided to take a closer look at Reavis and his wife. It was quickly discovered that she was an orphan, whose peasant parents had died years before and that Reavis had taught her a fake family background. A sharp-eyed lawyer noticed a similarity in phrasing between a document Reavis prepared with one found in a Spanish chuch. Further examination revealed the ink on the document was much newer than the paper. A linguist testified that some of the words in the 17th century document weren't found in other documents until fifty years later.
Reavis was put on trial for an assotment of financial and moral crimes and found quilty, but sentenced to only two years in prison. His property was auctioned off but because of collusion brought in only pennies on the dollar and he emerged from prison a pauper. His estate and mansion was used as a hog farm for several generations and lays in ruins today.
What could he have been thinking? Turning down twenty five million dollars in 1880 when he knew it was all a fraud? Too bad he didn't take the money and partner with PT Barnum.
avianrandy
avianrandy
April 5th, 2023 at 10:13:19 PM permalink

link to original post

I believe you can add Indiana to permitless also
avianrandy
avianrandy
April 5th, 2023 at 10:18:42 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

I believe you can add Indiana to permitless also
link to original post

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
DRich
April 5th, 2023 at 10:22:18 PM permalink
Gary, Indiana was such a peaceful place before they revoked that gun permit law.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 5th, 2023 at 10:45:02 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Gary, Indiana was such a peaceful place before they revoked that gun permit law.
link to original post

Has there been trouble lately?
I haven't been keeping up. I just know I don't usually hear any particular ruckus, haven't been panhandled in a few years, and generally don't feel "unsafe" if I walk down Grant Street.
avianrandy
avianrandy
April 5th, 2023 at 10:56:30 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

I live in Tennessee. Do you have a source for this claim about what Tennessee criminals are doing?
link to original post

Gordon were you or anybody you know affected by that Tennessee school shooting?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
April 5th, 2023 at 11:47:41 PM permalink
Melissa Joan Hart from Sabrina The Teenage Witch fame from the '90's was in the area and helping panicked kids cross the street to leave the area. Numerous schools were on lockdown in the area. Some TV news anchors on TV had their kids in schools that were on lockdown.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 6th, 2023 at 2:41:16 AM permalink

ChatGPT cooked up a fake sexual harassment scandal.

They named a real Law Professor and accused him of assaulting students on a trip he never took.

ChatGPT cited a non existent Washington Post story.

https://www.aol.com/news/chatgpt-cooks-fake-sexual-harassment-061520350.html

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 6th, 2023 at 5:41:21 AM permalink

Did you know there is a commercial airport that only has one flight per day? I did not.

I did not, either. I've flown in/out of some pretty small airports -- GNV had only two gates at the time I flew in/out -- but they had multiple flights. When I flew out of Flagstaff in the late 90's, the same guy was my taxi driver, ticket agent, baggage handler, and gate agent! Seriously, I half expected him to also be the pilot!

I give. Which airport is it?

Quote:

I bought a last minute airline ticket for a domestic coach seat and it was $1,984. Ouch. I have never paid even near that for a domestic coach ticket.
link to original post

Yikes! Was this to the airport alluded to above?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Joeman
April 6th, 2023 at 5:58:53 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I did not, either. I've flown in/out of some pretty small airports -- GNV had only two gates at the time I flew in/out -- but they had multiple flights. When I flew out of Flagstaff in the late 90's, the same guy was my taxi driver, ticket agent, baggage handler, and gate agent! Seriously, I half expected him to also be the pilot!

I give. Which airport is it?

Quote:

link to original post

Yikes! Was this to the airport alluded to above?
link to original post

Pocatello Idaho. Only flight is on Delta one flight per day arrives around 1130pm and departs around 6:30 am to and from SLC.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
TheCapitalShip
April 6th, 2023 at 9:41:04 AM permalink

Just an interview on TV from one of the three Dem Reps getting expelled from the Tennessee House for promoting the protest against guns by hordes of teens at the state capitol last week following a mass shooting at a school.
The GOP aim to arm the teachers with firearms nationwide.
If Republicans vote to remove the three members on Thursday, they might not be gone for long. The Tennessee Democratic Party is already fundraising to back the three in special elections. If constituents send them back, Tennessee’s Constitution does not allow members to be expelled twice for the same offense.
Tennessee Republicans push to expel lawmakers may set future precedent https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/05/tennessee-house-lawmaker-expulsion-vote-future-of-gop/70081721007/

Tennessee House GOP moves to expel 3 Democrats after participation in gun control protest | PBS NewsHour https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/tennessee-house-gop-moves-to-expel-3-democrats-after-participation-in-gun-control-protest

RT: I think their teacher shortage is about to increase.
link to original post

I am suspending ChumpChange for political speech. He has persisted in making "informational posts" that report on events that are entirely political and then adding comments that contain his own viewpoints. In this instance, as a Tennessee resident, I asked him for a source on his out-of-the blue comment about "criminals in Tennessee breaking into cars to steal guns." He provided that source (a TV interview) and then used that as an opportunity to discuss the controversy in the Tennessee legislature involving gun control, and mentioning the mass shooting at a Christian school in Tennessee.

Full disclosure: I have family members who knew one of the victims at that school, and who are still grieving.

Look, currently there are crazy things going on in Tennessee and New York and California and Florida that have nothing to do with casino gambling and have everything to do with politics. And I get that people have viewpoints about 'gun control' and 'hate crimes against Christians' and "Democrats leading an illegal insurrection against the Tennessee State Legislature." But this is not the forum to discuss this type of crap. Furthermore, in this particular instance, you are politicizing a tragedy that is still a source of pain for some of us, including me. And, IMO, this is certainly not the forum to post politically-charged nonsense about "criminals in Tennessee breaking into cars to steal guns" (and without any prior conversation that might have led up to such a comment!)

I will ask the other moderators to set the term of ChumpChange's suspension or to remove the suspension if they disagree with it.

Edit: Suspension is for 3 days.
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Apr 6, 2023
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
April 6th, 2023 at 9:42:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Yes, unfortunately. I have family members who knew one of the victims (a teacher.)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 6th, 2023 at 12:12:12 PM permalink
While I haven't visited Las Vegas for several years, I'd like to return one of these days; having attended two previous WoV "Spring Flings" I was hoping that another get together of members is or soon will be in the works.

Any such plans afoot, Wiz?
"What, me worry?"
avianrandy
avianrandy
April 6th, 2023 at 2:03:26 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Yes, unfortunately. I have family members who knew one of the victims (a teacher.)
link to original post

I am very sorry to hear that. I debated whether to ask that,but I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. Thank you for answering
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
April 6th, 2023 at 6:22:34 PM permalink

I am very sorry to hear that. I debated whether to ask that,but I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. Thank you for answering
link to original post

No problem at all. I'm impressed that someone was considerate enough to ask. It's not directly traumatizing to me; I didn't know the individual who was a victim. But some family members I'm close to spent 10 years in Nashville in various positions of Christian ministry and they're sad and hurting and angry. I'm surprised at how much second-hand sorrow I feel. The world is what it is and we are who we are and I guess we all just need to do the best that we can.
  • Jump to: