Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 3rd, 2023 at 11:57:51 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

People slaughter each other daily; what really sets this one apart?

link to original post

not many murder their wife AND son

and among high level professionals - looking back thru the years - maybe the number is ZERO - not counting him - and him being an Attorney - made it draw even more attention -

Please don't feed the trolls
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 3rd, 2023 at 2:47:03 PM permalink
I thought it was interesting. A successful man who has been embezzling funds for years now faces financial ruin - and murders his son and daughter to gain sympathy? What a complete wash-out as a human being. This is not a man who lived a life of violence and killed one more time - rather he's a sociopath with a good hair cut and $1000 suits.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 3rd, 2023 at 2:55:22 PM permalink
$1000 suit isn’t such a big deal nowadays
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 3rd, 2023 at 2:56:00 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I thought it was interesting. A successful man who has been embezzling funds for years now faces financial ruin - and murders his son and daughter to gain sympathy? What a complete wash-out as a human being. This is not a man who lived a life of violence and killed one more time - rather he's a sociopath with a good hair cut and $1000 suits.
link to original post

I am the person that usually buys the $400 suits but at one point I decided to buy an expensive named brand suit. It turns out the crowd I run with can't tell the difference between a $400 suit and a $4,000 suit. Pretty much a waste of money for me as it really didn't fit any better or look much different than the $400 suit. Maybe next time I will leave the Brioni tag and price on it to impress someone.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ace2
Ace2
March 3rd, 2023 at 3:02:30 PM permalink
YOU…bought a Brioni suit ?!?!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 3rd, 2023 at 3:15:41 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am the person that usually buys the $400 suits but at one point I decided to buy an expensive named brand suit.

I found great suits made in Canada for a bit under a grand some years ago at Men's Wearhouse.

Quality stuff.
"What, me worry?"
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
March 3rd, 2023 at 3:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

$1000 suit isn’t such a big deal nowadays
link to original post

Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

I am the person that usually buys the $400 suits but at one point I decided to buy an expensive named brand suit. It turns out the crowd I run with can't tell the difference between a $400 suit and a $4,000 suit. Pretty much a waste of money for me as it really didn't fit any better or look much different than the $400 suit. Maybe next time I will leave the Brioni tag and price on it to impress someone.
link to original post

link to original post

DRich is actually full of surprises.

Who knows, maybe he too has rows not just of Italian designer suits in his closet, but also stacks of unopened Brioni and purple label Ralph Lauren shirts.

These are just a few I grabbed at random out of one drawer that is filled to the brim with never worn Brioni and other shirts.

Still, what's more important than the designer, is the fit - and let's face it, a super 120s or 200s vicuna blend bespoke suit is probably going to blow away anything from Dior, Prada, Gucci, Canali, Zegna, Givenchy, Brioni, etc. but, if you take the designer ready to wear suit and give it your tailor to finish off, it'll probably end up as good as bespoke.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
DRich
DRich
March 3rd, 2023 at 3:44:22 PM permalink

I am the person that usually buys the $400 suits but at one point I decided to buy an expensive named brand suit.

I found great suits made in Canada for a bit under a grand some years ago at Men's Wearhouse.

Quality stuff.
link to original post

I do like Men's Wearhouse, I buy most of my dress clothes there.
DRich
DRich
March 3rd, 2023 at 3:44:50 PM permalink

link to original post

Just once.

When you are meeting bankers on Wall street trying to get money I didn't think my Walmart suit would be appropriate.
Ace2
Ace2
March 3rd, 2023 at 5:31:34 PM permalink
What kind of shoes to go with the Brioni?

Some people say first you get the shoes, then you get everything to coordinate with them
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 115
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:13:59 PM permalink
I never heard of this Murdaugh guy before this week, but I don't watch Court TV anymore so I probably missed it. Here's my catch-up video..
6 Lies Alex Murdaugh Confessed to While Testifying in Family Murders Trial - Law&Crime Network - YouTube

And a bonus video of OnStar tracking his vehicle. Speed limit was 55 mph ICYMI.
GPS Shows Alex Murdaugh’s Car at Home on Night Wife and Son Killed: Investigator - YouTube

His mug shot was just released and now he's bald.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Mar 3, 2023
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
March 3rd, 2023 at 8:06:18 PM permalink
I bought a brand-new suit for a wedding (not my own) Had it fitted; thought I looked pretty dapper. There was a live band and dancing at the reception. I danced 4-5 dances with various women out on the dance floor. Pretty big crowd gathered round watching. Then after going off the floor to sip a little of my drink this one young lady came up and whispered, "i think you have a price tag under your left armpit"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
March 3rd, 2023 at 8:20:15 PM permalink

Quote: billryan

The guy was a big fish in a small pond who generated a lot of his own publicity. People got interested in what stupid thing he'd do next, and he rarely disappointed.

I can certainly understand how that might be interesting to locals or people in the region who'd heard of him, but I'd never heard of the guy and cannot understand why it would be newsworthy on a national level.

People slaughter each other daily; what really sets this one apart?

Whatever, I simply thought it wasn't worth the coverage it got, e.g. live national TV broadcast of the trial.

The guy's no OJ, just a pill-popping scion with self-respect issues.
link to original post

OJ opined on the Murdoch trial on his twitter. (On the verdict, not how he would have killed them)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
March 4th, 2023 at 7:19:29 AM permalink

What kind of shoes to go with the Brioni?

Some people say first you get the shoes, then you get everything to coordinate with them
link to original post

I don't remember what I had because it was a long time ago. I don't think I have ever bought expensive shoes but I always buy decent dress shoes because I would wear them 5 days a week.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 4th, 2023 at 7:46:12 AM permalink

Quality stuff.
link to original post

My clothier is Good Will Industries. Top brand names, all sizes, great variety all at bargain prices and most of which have never been worn.

tuttigym
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
March 4th, 2023 at 8:35:47 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I never heard of this Murdaugh guy before this week, but I don't watch Court TV anymore so I probably missed it.
link to original post

I never heard of him until a week or two ago, either. Don't see why he's getting so much press, but whatever. Trial's over now, so he'll probably be forgotten in a week.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 4th, 2023 at 11:55:37 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Quality stuff.
link to original post

My clothier is Good Will Industries. Top brand names, all sizes, great variety all at bargain prices and most of which have never been worn.

tuttigym
link to original post

I also buy clothes at Goodwill because I live in an upscale area and the Goodwill store here is like shopping in a high-end department store. I have found some really expensive brand name clothes for almost nothing. Last week I found a linen pullover hoodie that sold for $50 new and I got it for five bucks. I love linen shirts they're so comfortable.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
March 4th, 2023 at 12:18:05 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I also buy clothes at Goodwill because I live in an upscale area and the Goodwill store here is like shopping in a high-end department store. I have found some really expensive brand name clothes for almost nothing. Last week I found a linen pullover hoodie that sold for $50 new and I got it for five bucks. I love linen shirts they're so comfortable.
link to original post

I used to have some linen pants that were great. Now I only wear pants to weddings and funerals, so not very often.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 4th, 2023 at 1:50:40 PM permalink

Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

I used to have some linen pants that were great. Now I only wear pants to weddings and funerals, so not very often.
link to original post

I bought a white linen suit for an event at one of my clubs. By the next morning, it was wrinkled to hell and smelled like an ashtray. I'd take off the jacket and pants whenever I was in my office, but it still couldn't go a night without getting pressed and the smell didn't come out. The worst suit I ever bought, although freshly pressed it was sharp looking. My last remaining suit is a dark green one that fits all occasions, and I'm sure is too big for me.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
March 4th, 2023 at 7:35:34 PM permalink
A person who buys clothes at goodwill (by choice, not necessity) is the most miserable tightwad imaginable
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
March 4th, 2023 at 8:22:49 PM permalink
Question for the young members -- How does one buy MP3 music? I want clean MP3 files that I don't need a special service or app to play. Please dumb down your answer a LOT. I come from the Walkman generation. A couple people mentioned Spotify, but I think you can only play their music through their players.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
March 4th, 2023 at 9:02:28 PM permalink
I was thinking of using a free 3 month subscription of Amazon Music and downloading all the albums I can think of, but I think it will all be DRM'ed so my downloads will only be as good as my up to date subscription when it goes pay by the month. Otherwise I can download what's available on YouTube, but it won't be top quality 320 kbps and the selection might be not what I'm looking for, but the selection might include what I never knew I was looking for. When I had Windows 7, I had a video file to mp3 ripping program that was fast and effective, but when Windows 8 came around, it would only rip at real time speed and was not what I was looking for. I believe most recent smart phones can play video files, so I needn't rip the video files anymore, but the space requirements might be a problem with terabytes of video files. I was streaming YouTube videos on my phone in the car recently and I kept getting ads thrown in which is not what I want. I'd have to get a subscription to kill the YouTube ads and upgrade the downloadable video save quality on the phone to 720p.

If I've got 500 albums I'm trying to replace from decades past, some of them might be long out of print, so I'll have to record from my top quality USB turntable or cassette deck to my computer using Audacity or some better music recording program. I'm starting out with an AT-VMN95E ($69 on Amazon) cartridge & stylus set at 2 grams on an Audio-Technica at-LP120XUSB Direct-Drive Turntable (Analog & USB), ($310 on Amazon). My cassette deck had the rubber motor belt disintegrate so it needs repair, and it could be messy.
It'd be easier to get my album list and download all the albums, but the era of Limewire sharing ended a long time ago.

How much did LimeWire get sued for?
Accordingly, the court ruled that the labels were entitled to an award only on a per-work, rather than per-infringement basis, limiting the award to between $7.5 million and $1.5 billion of statutory damages.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Mar 4, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 4th, 2023 at 9:51:46 PM permalink

A person who buys clothes at goodwill (by choice, not necessity) is the most miserable tightwad imaginable
link to original post

Actually the complete opposite is true but how would you know that. The parking at Goodwill I shop at is full of nothing but new or almost new SUVs and the people inside are obviously doing well. We shop at Goodwill because we like bargains. The richest person I ever knew was a woman who owned a chain of sporting good stores and was worth about 25 million dollars. She bought nothing but used cars and regularly shopped at Goodwill because everybody likes a bargain no matter how much money you make, if you think just because you make money you have to overspend it you're the one that has a problem.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
March 4th, 2023 at 11:39:51 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Question for the young members -- How does one buy MP3 music? I want clean MP3 files that I don't need a special service or app to play. Please dumb down your answer a LOT. I come from the Walkman generation. A couple people mentioned Spotify, but I think you can only play their music through their players.
link to original post

I don't know how particular you are mp3 are not what I get when purchasing a music file.
I get FLAC and if I need I make copies and compress to mp3 and retain the high res
FLAC file.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/best-sites-to-buy-mp3-and-digital-music-you-own-forever/
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
March 5th, 2023 at 12:37:57 AM permalink
I went to my Amazon Prime, and they say I can get a 30 day free trial of streaming music with no ads, then it's $8.99/month. If I want to actually buy an album, well, check out these prices for the Chicago II album.

I'd have to get some kind of stereo mp3 recording device or external music cd burner device connected to the line-out of my computer for streaming if Audacity can't do it.

Up to 10 devices can be authorized to your music library account. Only one account can be authorized to a device at a time. Any device you download music to requires authorization. You can stream and purchase digital music in a browser without authorizing the device. All mobile and tablet devices require authorization.
When you deauthorize a device, it takes 30 days for that space to become available.

I couldn't select a track from the album to be played and it started playing 3 Dog Night and The Guess Who for unknown reasons. All they have is shuffle play on the Prime system so I can't play an album like I would expect, or even stay within the same album and select a track to play. So I hit the track skip button a handful of times and I got this error.
Skip limit reached
Access 100 million songs, ad free. Get more with Amazon Music Unlimited. Listen to any song, anywhere, and enjoy unlimited skips. Free for 30 days.
So they are pushing this upgrade all over the place with the crimped Prime service I've already got. Will the upgrade be any better? Maybe I'll figure it out when I've got 30 days to take advantage of it.

Yeah it was crimped.

How Amazon Music Prime was successful boggles my mind. It's crap.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Mar 5, 2023
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
March 5th, 2023 at 12:49:46 AM permalink

I went to my Amazon Prime, and they say I can get a 30 day free trial of streaming music with no ads, then it's $8.99/month. If I want to actually buy an album, well, check out these prices for the Chicago II album.

link to original post

Amazon music comes free with Prime.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
March 5th, 2023 at 1:13:10 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

link to original post

As of about 12 years ago, the CD ripping software was advanced enough to automatically figure out artist, album, and song name based on the unique combination of number of tracks and their durations from a database.
As far as I know, doing format conversion is legal under First Sale doctrine - as long as you own the CD, you're allowed to have a personal use copy of it in another format.

If memory serves, the process was generally about as complicated and slow as operating a slot toaster. Put the CD in the computer, verify that name data matches expectations after about 10 seconds, and then a few minutes after that the CD pops out. Tedious, but generally easy to incorporate into my office day.
(I haven't had to do conversions since then, because my snobbery at music detests that modern noise that they're trying to pass off as music these days.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 5th, 2023 at 1:56:04 AM permalink

pretty damn interesting - to me anyway - and I think I'm going to try it - binary options have been around since 2008 but I never really looked at it before

it's a type of stock market trading that is very close to pure gambling -

the link explains it better than me - but basically your trade is win or lose and is resolved at a certain time

example - the s&p 500 index is now at 4,045.64 - a binary option for Monday might be - will the index be above 4,100 at 4:15 p.m. - you bet yes or no - your payout will be $100 less fees for one winning contract - the cost of your bet will be determined by the exchange - NADEX - your profit on a winning bet is the $100 minus the fees and minus the cost of the bet - of course, you can buy as many contracts as you want

it costs $1.00 to enter a contract and $1.00 to exit a contract

- pretty cool - not saying it's easy to be profitable - but very low $ requirement to start playing

caveat emptor - buyer beware - all kinds of scammers selling tips or strategies

I'm going to try to learn as much as I can before doing this

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/061114/guide-trading-binary-options-us.asp#:~:text=to%20their%20gain).-,Where%20to%20Trade%20Binary%20Options,demo%20account%20or%20live%20account.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 5, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
SOOPOO
March 5th, 2023 at 4:35:55 AM permalink

That is ridiculous.

I don't think that I have ever wore "used" clothing but tightwad has so many negative connotations. My generation just calls that being frugal
tuttigym
tuttigym
March 5th, 2023 at 7:57:50 AM permalink

link to original post

Thank you. I resemble that. 4th grade arithmetic works every time. You should try it. It will enhance your lifestyle and uncomplicate your gambling focus.

tuttigym
Ace2
Ace2
March 5th, 2023 at 8:51:45 AM permalink

That is ridiculous.

I don't think that I have ever wore "used" clothing but tightwad has so many negative connotations. My generation just calls that being frugal
link to original post

I’ll compare my balance sheet to anyone’s… ample, zero debt, all self-made. I’m a big believer in living within your means but it’s the big decisions that count: house & car you can afford, stay out of debt, etc. Pinching pennies adds up to pennies and I’d hate to be on my deathbed wishing I hadn’t wasted so much time being miserable and clipping coupons to save a couple dollars at Walmart

PS I am familiar with “your generation”. They have a nervous breakdown over leaving a lamp on overnight (probably cost half a penny of electricity ), then they send $5000 cash to some Nigerian telephone scam artist.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
SOOPOO
March 5th, 2023 at 9:27:36 AM permalink
It's strange how many people never outgrow the "my way rules, your way drools" mentality.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
March 5th, 2023 at 9:32:53 AM permalink
I suppose if you need something specific, not so much clothes, you might go to Goodwill to look for it to see if it is available. Such as say stuff to put into some of your residential rentals, but even then, if the rentals are higher end it's better to just buy everything new and have it last and give better appeal to the rental.

That is not to say that Goodwill doesn't have some decent stuff but I'd assume that the good stuff is snapped up every morning by professionals who go in there in the hopes of finding resale items. Or maybe even the workers at Goodwill themselves buy the best stuff before it is even put on the shelves. To that extent, anything those professionals or in house buyers purchase might wind up at higher end resale shops such as this one in Beverly Hills

https://www.whatgoesaroundnyc.com

but in general, I don't think Goodwill has much that would appeal to someone used to wearing higher end clothing.

You have to keep in mind that nowadays it is so easy to sell what you don't need either yourself or to these outfits like the Real Real etc. that the only stuff that ends up at GoodWill nowadays is stuff that isn't worth taking the time to sell, or stuff that someone just didn't want to bother with selling.

The only good stuff that would land at Goodwill might in fact be from people who are well off enough to not care about trying to sell the items, and only in those cases would the Goodwill items possibly be high end.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
rxwine
rxwine
March 5th, 2023 at 9:51:59 AM permalink
Obviously, not typical. Me, i would have just put the damn thing on and wore it out.

Quote:

Sean and Rikki McEvoy loved picking out cool vintage clothing to sell online. One day in 2014, they picked up an old West Point sweater at an Asheville, North Carolina, Goodwill store for just 58 cents.

After discovering it had some moth damage, Rikki McEvoy decided to keep the sweater and fix it up for her husband.

Later, the two of them happened to be watching a documentary about legendary football coach Vince Lombardi and noticed he appeared to be wearing the same sweater.

Sure enough, the McEvoys found Lombardi's name written inside the sweater. They got it authenticated, and sold it for $43,020.

tuttigym
tuttigym
March 5th, 2023 at 11:21:35 AM permalink

I’ll compare my balance sheet to anyone’s… ample, zero debt, all self-made. I’m a big believer in living within your means but it’s the big decisions that count: house & car you can afford, stay out of debt, etc. Pinching pennies adds up to pennies and I’d hate to be on my deathbed wishing I hadn’t wasted so much time being miserable and clipping coupons to save a couple dollars at Walmart

As usual, some of your posts are logical but convoluted and inconsistent. "Zero debt, pinching pennies, living within your means" but not shopping at Walmart? Based on this post, I would wager that when you take your last breath, you would NOT have spent your LAST dollar.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 5th, 2023 at 11:33:10 AM permalink

That is ridiculous.

link to original post

Loretta Lynn who was eventually worth millions when she went shopping for something like a toaster or a electric skillet she would always buy two of them and she would always buy them on sale so when the first one broke she had the second one that was bought on sale. She could obviously afford to buy a new one every week but that was not her mentality just because you have money doesn't mean you have to squander it. The richest man who will probably ever live was John D Rockefeller and when he went out to dinner he always picked up the tab and he always examined every item on there to make sure he was not being overcharged. He could afford to buy every restaurant he ever ate in on the spot yet to him paying more than he needs to for a meal would be squandering his money. Frugality is a way of life it has nothing to do with your income. He was also one of the greatest philanthropists we've ever had, he gave away a huge amount of his fortune. He built the entire University of Chicago out of his pocket and only visited there once. Yet he made sure the men who made the barrels for his oil used only nine solder points and no more because to use more than nine would be squandering his money.
Ace2
Ace2
March 5th, 2023 at 12:25:55 PM permalink
Living within your means and not throwing away money is a way of life.

A billionaire splitting hairs over a few dollars is a serious psychiatric disorder

All I’m saying is…don’t overdo it. Life is short so try to relax and enjoy it. If the price of a dozen eggs at Walmart goes from $2.99 to $3.99, don’t sweat it. Better yet, start shopping at a proper grocery store and buy your food without looking at the prices. You worked your entire life and you earned it. Nothing is more important for your health than top quality, fresh organic food

This is just my opinion. I realize some people never mature enough to accept another person’s opinion
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 5th, 2023 at 1:15:04 PM permalink

Living within your means and not throwing away money is a way of life.

A billionaire splitting hairs over a few dollars is a serious psychiatric disorder

All I’m saying is…don’t overdo it. Life is short so try to relax and enjoy it. If the price of a dozen eggs at Walmart goes from $2.99 to $3.99, don’t sweat it. Better yet, start shopping at a proper grocery store and buy your food without looking at the prices. You worked your entire life and you earned it. Nothing is more important for your health than top quality, fresh organic food

This is just my opinion. I realize some people never mature enough to accept another person’s opinion
link to original post

"I realize some people never mature enough to accept another person’s opinion"

Not when the opinion is ridiculous, then it needs to be pointed out and opposed. Letting money change your moral structure is the psychiatric disorder, you have it backwards.
tuttigym
tuttigym
March 5th, 2023 at 1:27:44 PM permalink
tuttigym strikes again!! One short comment about buying stuff at Goodwill, and the thread blows up.

I love it.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
March 5th, 2023 at 2:28:24 PM permalink

tuttigym strikes again!! One short comment about buying stuff at Goodwill, and the thread blows up.

I love it.

tuttigym
link to original post

The high point of your week,eh? Grandma did say to enjoy a win, no matter how small.
billryan
billryan
March 5th, 2023 at 2:29:04 PM permalink

I love it.

tuttigym
link to original post

The high point of your week,eh? Grandma did say to enjoy a win, no matter how small.
tuttigym
tuttigym
March 5th, 2023 at 2:53:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I love it.

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Nope, did my taxes and am getting a small refund. (I pay estimated taxes.) And, yes, grandma is always right.

Be vigilant; I will strike again.

tuttigym
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 5th, 2023 at 5:26:35 PM permalink
I notice that there seems to be little interest in consigning men's suits for resale; I don't need them any more and would like to get some money for them as opposed to donating them to Goodwill.

Where can my suits be re-sold, is there an online web site for it these days?
"What, me worry?"
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
March 5th, 2023 at 5:28:12 PM permalink
I absolutely love going to GoodWill, Opportunity Village, and thrift stores. I can spend an hour + looking around at one store and enjoy every moment. I probably get there about once every 3 months.

My wife hates when I go there because I often buy stuff I don't need just because it's a good deal thinking ill eventually need it or use it, but most of the time it just sits in the garage.

Tools are always a good deal.

I find things that are collectible and worth way more than they are selling them for. I have even seen old video slot slot machines and other casino collectible gambling books and stuff like that

My intentions are to resell some of the stuff, but I almost never do.

I picked up two big business display stands for $1 each during a sale day. If some someone wanted somthing like that they would probably pay $300 bucks. I will be using one for a garage workbench.

I did find and sell a vintage leather briefcase from the 20s/30s, I paid $15 and sold it for $400 it was probably worth $600 but I just took the first offer from a guy I knew who was probably reselling it. I have a few vintage Samsonite Briefcases I buy them whenever I see them, they usually go for about $10-$20. I usually use them to store other collectibles or whatever.

I think I gave Mike an old collectible vintage calculator.

I dont go to GoodWill looking for clothing, however, I usually look at their leather and suede jackets. If I see somthing I like I will buy it. Some of them go for $200+ online.

I can't seem to post the picture here but here are a few of the things I picked up a few years back all for about $20 bucks. https://twitter.com/Axelwolfvegas/status/1632553056633249792/photo/1
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
March 5th, 2023 at 5:29:16 PM permalink
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
March 5th, 2023 at 5:41:24 PM permalink
I think it depends what neighborhood your thrift shop is in. If you're in the fancy part of town, there's likely good deals. If you're living in the ghetto, there's only ghetto deals.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 5th, 2023 at 5:57:32 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I absolutely love going to GoodWill, Opportunity Village, and thrift stores. I can spend an hour + looking around at one store and enjoy every moment. I probably get there about once every 3 months.

My wife hates when I go there because I often buy stuff I don't need just because it's a good deal thinking ill eventually need it or use it, but most of the time it just sits in the garage.

Tools are always a good deal.

I find things that are collectible and worth way more than they are selling them for. I have even seen old video slot slot machines and other casino collectible gambling books and stuff like that

My intentions are to resell some of the stuff, but I almost never do.

I picked up two big business display stands for $1 each during a sale day. If some someone wanted somthing like that they would probably pay $300 bucks. I will be using one for a garage workbench.

I did find and sell a vintage leather briefcase from the 20s/30s, I paid $15 and sold it for $400 it was probably worth $600 but I just took the first offer from a guy I knew who was probably reselling it. I have a few vintage Samsonite Briefcases I buy them whenever I see them, they usually go for about $10-$20. I usually use them to store other collectibles or whatever.

I think I gave Mike an old collectible vintage calculator.

I dont go to GoodWill looking for clothing, however, I usually look at their leather and suede jackets. If I see somthing I like I will buy it. Some of them go for $200+ online.

I can't seem to post the picture here but here are a few of the things I picked up a few years back all for about $20 bucks. https://twitter.com/Axelwolfvegas/status/1632553056633249792/photo/1
link to original post

Goodwill is literally treasure hunting but you have to know what you're doing. Unless of course you're a stick up your arse snob who would never buy anything somebody else owned, then you can waste your money buying new crap.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
March 5th, 2023 at 5:58:08 PM permalink

I think it depends what neighborhood your thrift shop is in. If you're in the fancy part of town, there's likely good deals. If you're living in the ghetto, there's only ghetto deals.
link to original post

I dont know, they all seem to be about the same here in Vegas, then again, I don't really go to North town that much.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 5th, 2023 at 6:07:16 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

link to original post

I dont know, they all seem to be about the same here in Vegas, then again, I don't really go to North town that much.
link to original post

Last year I found a 80 sq ft rolled up rug in the corner of Goodwill for $20 it was like new and I looked it up from the label that was on it and it sold for $450. I bought it and put it in my bedroom it fit perfectly. But there are people here who would rather pay the $450 and I say more power to them if money means that little to you.
rxwine
rxwine
March 5th, 2023 at 6:36:01 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I suppose if you need something specific, not so much clothes, you might go to Goodwill to look for it to see if it is available. Such as say stuff to put into some of your residential rentals, but even then, if the rentals are higher end it's better to just buy everything new and have it last and give better appeal to the rental.

That is not to say that Goodwill doesn't have some decent stuff but I'd assume that the good stuff is snapped up every morning by professionals who go in there in the hopes of finding resale items. Or maybe even the workers at Goodwill themselves buy the best stuff before it is even put on the shelves. To that extent, anything those professionals or in house buyers purchase might wind up at higher end resale shops such as this one in Beverly Hills

https://www.whatgoesaroundnyc.com

but in general, I don't think Goodwill has much that would appeal to someone used to wearing higher end clothing.

You have to keep in mind that nowadays it is so easy to sell what you don't need either yourself or to these outfits like the Real Real etc. that the only stuff that ends up at GoodWill nowadays is stuff that isn't worth taking the time to sell, or stuff that someone just didn't want to bother with selling.

The only good stuff that would land at Goodwill might in fact be from people who are well off enough to not care about trying to sell the items, and only in those cases would the Goodwill items possibly be high end.
link to original post

Seems like letting goodwill's workers get the best stuff and maybe sell it online would go over like a black eye for the organization as it seems similar to letting people skim the best money donations from any charity/non-profit.

I don't know what they might do to mitigate that, but it doesn't seem right to just let it happen. Or maybe they do, but limit the employees to only so many items per month.
  • Jump to: