1 vote (1.88%)
1 vote (1.88%)
4 votes (7.54%)

53 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
May 21st, 2011 at 5:17:13 AM permalink
I look at these questions as being open ended, unless there are specific conditions that prevent it. All I was saying, since the original question SPECIFICALLY stated that the coin would be chosen at random, that it should also SPECIFICALLY state that a side will be viewed at random. Since it did not, I took the interpretation that that condition did not have to be met. The Wiz has weighed in that he feels that it was implied that the side looked at was random. I guess I would ask you it this way.... Where in the original question does it state that you cannot 'look at both sides'. All I'm saying is to be clearer restate the question adding the 'random' to both events, the choosing and the looking.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
May 21st, 2011 at 6:34:11 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Wonderful. An innocent posing of this question to fellow co-workers devolved into my boss repeatedly screaming at me 'IT'S 1/2! THERES ONLY TWO SIDES!' etc and so forth. Actually, not even my boss, but my bosses boss. Oy! Now she's forcing me to e-mail the whole department to prove me wrong, whatever that means.

Personally, I would gladly take this opportunity. I would set up an experiment, take 1000 runs, and have my co-worker watching along.

Then I would simply send an email to the department showing the results. Further I would make an analysis how much these results are likely if the answer is 2/3 compared to 1/2. And then I would apologize taking all those peoples time away with such an obvious game.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 21st, 2011 at 6:37:05 AM permalink
There is a bag with two objects. You randomly choose one. What is the probability that it is a coin?

Extra credit: What is the probability that it is a live snake?
A falling knife has no handle.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
May 21st, 2011 at 7:49:27 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Snakes. Why does it always have to be snakes?
[This space is intentionally left blank]
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 21st, 2011 at 7:52:06 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

There is a bag with two objects. You randomly choose one. What is the probability that it is a coin?

Zero. See: what is the probability that a randomly-selected point inside a unit square will fall on the diagonal.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 21st, 2011 at 7:53:54 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Wonderful. An innocent posing of this question to fellow co-workers devolved into my boss repeatedly screaming at me 'IT'S 1/2! THERES ONLY TWO SIDES!' etc and so forth. Actually, not even my boss, but my bosses boss. Oy! Now she's forcing me to e-mail the whole department to prove me wrong, whatever that means. If it's any solace (it is to me) she's also the type that believes a maxed out slot progressive is going to hit AT ANY MOMENT!!! I need DorothyGale's 'The stupid...It Burns!!' picture right about now.....

Don't do that, put her up to the bet I proposed. You'll make a *lot* of money...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: