GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
Dieter
August 4th, 2022 at 12:52:39 PM permalink
Hello All,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. My local pub, that I used to frequent before the pandemic hit, has a dice game. $1 to play, which goes in to the pot. You roll 5 standard 6 sided dice. A three of a kind of any number gets you a free roll. Four a kind of any number gets you $100 from the pot. Five of a kind gets you the whole pot, minus 15% tip to the bartender(s) on duty at that particular time. I someone willing to do a statistical analysis of the game here. such as house edge, break even, etc? My statistics background is in clinical trials and medical studies and experiments, and not in gambling at all. Thanks for your assistance.

Gene
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 4th, 2022 at 1:45:56 PM permalink
I know some bar dice variants allow partial rerolls, like yahtzee.
Is that allowed, so you can hold a pair, and reroll the other 3 dice?

You say a 3 of a kind gets a "free roll".
Does that mean you roll all 5 dice again?
May the cards fall in your favor.
camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
August 4th, 2022 at 2:18:49 PM permalink
Good questions, Dieter!

Also, is any money added to the pot after it hits, or does it start from zero? What happens when someone rolls a four of a kind with less than $100 in the pot (think multiple hits in short succession)?
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 4th, 2022 at 2:39:20 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Hello All,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. My local pub, that I used to frequent before the pandemic hit, has a dice game. $1 to play, which goes in to the pot. You roll 5 standard 6 sided dice. A three of a kind of any number gets you a free roll. Four a kind of any number gets you $100 from the pot. Five of a kind gets you the whole pot, minus 15% tip to the bartender(s) on duty at that particular time. I someone willing to do a statistical analysis of the game here. such as house edge, break even, etc? My statistics background is in clinical trials and medical studies and experiments, and not in gambling at all. Thanks for your assistance.

Gene
link to original post

Welcome to the forum! It's always good to take a peek at the forum rules: Forum Rules.

The analysis you are asking for is straightforward and relatively easy. I'm busy and can't do it right now, but I'm sure someone will step up shortly.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
August 4th, 2022 at 3:12:14 PM permalink
Thanks everyone for your responses. I may have left out some crucial information, which I realize after reading my original post. A free roll means you can roll all five dice again, but you must roll all 5 dice. All wagers go in to the pot, which increases with each bet-so I guess you can call that progressive. There's no rake to the house with each bet, other than the 15% to the bartender(s) on duty on a 5 of a kind. As an aside, I've never seen anyone other than one or both of the two ladies who own the place work behind the bar, so maybe you can call that a rake of a sort. I don't know where the seed money for pot comes from, but let's assume that the house puts up a few bucks-let's say to always keep the pot at $200 minimum. I've never been in there when someone's won anything, and have seen the pot in the thousands. Someone did win a bit over $5k once, but I wasn't there, do not know how long the game went without a jackpot winner and the next time I went in the jackpot was a bit over $900.

Gene
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 4th, 2022 at 4:21:57 PM permalink
Assuming that any 5 of a kind is good for a win, my sloppy math says it's positive at $1525 in the pot.

The actual number is probably lower, and I'm happy to hear why.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
August 4th, 2022 at 7:17:29 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Assuming that any 5 of a kind is good for a win, my sloppy math says it's positive at $1525 in the pot.

link to original post

It’s lower. $1525 ignores the 4 of a kind payout and 3 of a kind re-roll.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 4th, 2022 at 7:25:55 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

... and as soon as someone hits the 4oK for $100, the pot shrinks, making the game undesirable.

Lots of fun math here for someone smarter than me to grind on.
unJon
unJon
August 4th, 2022 at 7:44:19 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

... and as soon as someone hits the 4oK for $100, the pot shrinks, making the game undesirable.

Lots of fun math here for someone smarter than me to grind on.
link to original post

I don’t follow that comment. You know the prize pool when you roll. One person rolls at a time.

6^5 = 7,776 ways to roll 5 dice.
6 ways to roll 5OAK
150 ways to roll 4OAK
1,500 ways to roll 3OAK (includes full houses)

Pot is $X

6 * 0.85 * X + 150 * 100 + 1,500 * Y - (7,776 - 1,500 - 150 - 6) = 0

Y is recursive EV of playing the game again. Will calculate when back in front of Excel.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
camapl
August 4th, 2022 at 8:26:18 PM permalink
I take it back. The game doesn’t make sense. You roll four of a kind just under 2% of the time. So you get paid 100:1 on a 50:1 shot? It would be +EV from the get go and the progressive shouldn’t build, it should drain from the 4OAKs.

What am
I missing?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 5th, 2022 at 3:31:50 AM permalink

I take it back. The game doesn’t make sense. You roll four of a kind just under 2% of the time. So you get paid 100:1 on a 50:1 shot? It would be +EV from the get go and the progressive shouldn’t build, it should drain from the 4OAKs.

What am
I missing?
link to original post

Dang.

Well... guess I need to go look for a pub. ;)

(I will not use any superpowers in furtherance of this effort. I also know that a common rule is 1 shake per day.)
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 5th, 2022 at 7:37:00 AM permalink

What am
I missing?
link to original post

My analysis agrees with unjon's posts. Perhaps something in the statement of the rules isn't accurate?.

Are we sure that any 4oak pays $100, and not just four 6s? Or, that the first 4 dice must be a 4oak?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
camapl
camapl
August 5th, 2022 at 10:52:34 AM permalink
Don’t the odds change the more you drink? That must be it, since you only see this game at bars!
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
Thanked by
unJoncamaplDieter
August 6th, 2022 at 12:28:37 PM permalink
The maths sorts of works if you roll one die at a time and lose once you fail to get the recent roll to match.

The first roll is irrelevant. The second roll has to match the first roll to allow a third roll (P=1/6). The third roll has to match, else you lose. You earn a free roll (unless your fourth roll matches). (So the probability of this is 1/36 - 1/216 = 5/216, I have assumed you have the option of having your $1 returned for the break-even point.)

Fourth matching roll earns $100 (probability of this is 1 in 216, but you take off the probability of jackpot to give 5/1296) so this represents about 38.58c.

Fifth matching earns whatever (it shouldn't be more than $766, or about $900 if the bar tender get 15%, else positive for the player!)
EventProbabilityPaysContribution
3 not 4
$1
$0.02 315c
4 not 5
$100
$0.38 580c
5 jackpot
$901.18
$0.59 105c
$1.00 000c
unJon
unJon
August 6th, 2022 at 1:24:38 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

The maths sorts of works if you roll one die at a time and lose once you fail to get the recent roll to match.

The first roll is irrelevant. The second roll has to match the first roll to allow a third roll (P=1/6). The third roll has to match, else you lose. You earn a free roll (unless your fourth roll matches). (So the probability of this is 1/36 - 1/216 = 5/216, I have assumed you have the option of having your $1 returned for the break-even point.)

Fourth matching roll earns $100 (probability of this is 1 in 216, but you take off the probability of jackpot to give 5/1296) so this represents about 38.58c.

Fifth matching earns whatever (it shouldn't be more than $766, or about $900 if the bar tender get 15%, else positive for the player!)

EventProbabilityPaysContribution
3 not 4
$1
$0.02 315c
4 not 5
$100
$0.38 580c
5 jackpot
$901.18
$0.59 105c
$1.00 000c

link to original post

Excellent math sleuthing. You’ll get a more accurate result if instead of using $1 for 3OAK you just juice the probabilities of the 4OAK and 5OAK by the 102.3697%.

Basically the sum from n=1 to infinity of (5/216)^n.

ETA: oh I see, $1 for break even on 3OAK.
Last edited by: unJon on Aug 6, 2022
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
August 6th, 2022 at 5:46:38 PM permalink
I don't think the original poster indicated that the dice were rolled one at a time, but all five were rolled at once. Not sure what effect it would have on your math, though.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
August 7th, 2022 at 9:34:27 AM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

I don't think the original poster indicated that the dice were rolled one at a time, but all five were rolled at once...

As others have already stated it would be in the Player's advantage if you could roll all five dice rather than one at a time. This is why I was trying to work out a scenario where the game might made sense. Sadly the OP hasn't got back with a clarification of the exact rules and payouts.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
unJon
August 7th, 2022 at 11:31:42 AM permalink

What am
I missing?
link to original post

You are missing the address of the pub! And yes, that is Axel at the end of the bar rolling the dice….
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 7th, 2022 at 12:40:17 PM permalink

I don't think the original poster indicated that the dice were rolled one at a time, but all five were rolled at once...

As others have already stated it would be in the Player's advantage if you could roll all five dice rather than one at a time. This is why I was trying to work out a scenario where the game might made sense. Sadly the OP hasn't got back with a clarification of the exact rules and payouts.
link to original post

1. I think you get to play once a day.
2. I think you have to buy a drink to be allowed to play.

The game may be positive, but I don't think it's profitable to the player.
That said, if you're down at the bar anyway...
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 7th, 2022 at 12:40:25 PM permalink

link to original post

1. I think you get to play once a day.
2. I think you have to buy a drink to be allowed to play.

The game may be positive, but I don't think it's profitable to the player.
That said, if you're down at the bar anyway...
avianrandy
avianrandy
Thanked by
Dieter
April 8th, 2023 at 6:36:29 AM permalink
Have you been back to the pub lately? What are the exact rules for this game?
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
April 8th, 2023 at 8:13:14 AM permalink
Being a bar pub game it may very well be +EV.

The OP said there is no rake other than the tip for the top payout. So basically a tip for a guest getting a jackpot of sorts

I think we are all too much into figuring out the negative EV.

The games positive EV for the house is simply that they drum up business for their pub, make an occasional jackpot winner happy (spreading the word) and they even get to share in that persons jackpot.

It also doesn't sound like an official game so maybe a negative expectation game would be illegal? Usually that's why a house doesn't take a rake

Also since it's players money going into the pot even though it's positive EV you would have to wait for it to get to a decent size. The object isn't to just win back your own money
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
April 8th, 2023 at 9:30:30 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

Have you been back to the pub lately? What are the exact rules for this game?
link to original post

Haven't been back since before COVID, A hospitalization, then COVID, then a move to another part of town. It was withing walking distance, and unless I know I'm going to just get one drink and nurse it all night I don't drink and get behind the wheel, so it's not worth the risk of a drive. If I even find myself back there, I'll be sure to inquire of the rules and update.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 8th, 2023 at 12:29:09 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Being a bar pub game it may very well be +EV.
link to original post

Am I missing something obvious?
There are 7776 results from rolling 5 dice.
150 of them are four of a kind.
Even if any roll besides a four of a kind paid nothing, the EV is 150 x 100 / 7776 - 1 = 0.929.
  • Jump to: