gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 50
September 13th, 2021 at 1:42:20 PM permalink
I met with the mother of the student I will be teaching (but have not yet met the student.) I learned that the student is 14, and is a freshman in high school. He communicates well, and is usually highly focused on whatever he is doing, and especially on math.

I also got the textbook I will be teaching from. The first 356 pages is Advanced Algebra with these topics:

- Coordinate System in Three Dimensions (18 pages)
- Matrices (48 pages)
- Problem Solving and Variation (38)
- Sequences and Series (36)
- Complex Numbers (36)
- Conic Sections (42)
- Radicals, Exponents, Logarithms and Rational Expressions (44)
- Exponential and Logarithmic Function (24)
- Rational and Radical Functions (32)
- Writing Models for Functions (20)
- Analyzing Functions (41)

Then comes Calculus (301 pages)

- Limits and Continuity (48 pages)
- Derivatives (32)
- Applications of Derivatives (44)
- Integration (28)
- Applications of Integrals (32)
- Differential Equations (18)
- Logarithmic, Exponential and Transcendental Functions (18)

Interesting that when i was a student some of these topics were first introduced in college math courses (e.g., Matrices, Complex Variables, Series) after Calculus, but are now high school content before calculus. I guess I'm showing my age.

The textbook is excellent - much much better than anything I had as a student.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 10:29:34 AM permalink
I NEED SOME HELP.

After a lesson on solving logarithmic equations, my autistic-gifted student went home and tried applying the techniques I had shown him to a very famous equation, and came up with an impossible/incorrect result. He recognized it as being incorrect and expressed that he was “troubled.”
He showed this (below) to me today, and I sat there puzzled until I had to admit that I had no clear answer as to what he had done wrong.

The very famous equation is:

eπ i = -1

First he squares both sides:
e2π i = 1

Then he writes:
e2π i = e0

Then he essentially takes the natural log of both sides:
2πi = 0

So, this result is obviously incorrect. He then squared both sides to get:
-4π2 = 0

Which troubled him because he recognized this could not be right.

I considered whether he went outside the domain of log(x), or had introduced an ambiguity in squaring functions, but I can’t seem to find the invalid operation.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 10:29:37 AM permalink
I NEED SOME HELP.

After a lesson on solving exponential and logarithmic equations, my autistic-gifted student went home and tried applying the techniques I had shown him to a very famous equation, and came up with an impossible/incorrect result. He recognized it as being incorrect and expressed to me that he was “troubled.”
He showed this (below) to me today, and I sat there puzzled until I had to admit that I had no clear answer as to what he had done wrong.

The very famous equation is:

eπ i = -1

First he squares both sides:
e2π i = 1

Then he writes:
e2π i = e0

Then he essentially takes the natural log of both sides:
2πi = 0

So, this result is obviously incorrect. He then squared both sides to get:
-4π2 = 0

Which troubled him because he recognized this could not be right.

I considered whether he went outside the domain of ln(x), or had introduced an ambiguity by squaring functions, but I can’t seem to find the invalid operation.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 23
Thanks for this post from:
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 11:34:15 AM permalink
Yeah, I don't think you can SBS here, but can't really tell you why.

ETA: if you go to the original (famous) equation.. I don't think there is a way to write -1 in the form of e, to equate both sides of exponents (other than what is given).
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 11:42:14 AM permalink
Per Wolfram Alpha messing around the issue is the step where you take the natural log.

ln(e^2ipi) = 0 =/= 2ipi
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 24
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 11:55:18 AM permalink
I don’t think algebra always applies to i the same way it does to “normal” numbers
It’s all about making that GTA
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 14th, 2022 at 12:52:28 PM permalink
This Wikipedia page has an explanation: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm

Scroll down to the section “ Problems with inverting the complex exponential function”. It even has a cool 3D graph to illustrate.

Heart of the problem is: “e^(w+2kπi) = e^w for any complex number w and integer k, since adding iθ to w has the effect of rotating ew counterclockwise θ radians.”

ETA: Gordon, in your problem it’s easy to see how above is your formula where w=0 and k=1.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 1:36:18 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

This Wikipedia page has an explanation: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm

Scroll down to the section “ Problems with inverting the complex exponential function”. It even has a cool 3D graph to illustrate.

Heart of the problem is: “e^(w+2kπi) = e^w for any complex number w and integer k, since adding iθ to w has the effect of rotating ew counterclockwise θ radians.”

ETA: Gordon, in your problem it’s easy to see how above is your formula where w=0 and k=1.
link to original post

I think this is the answer I was looking for. Let me re-state it. A natural logarithm (ln) function is not the inverse of a complex exponential function of form e^(w+2kπi) because:
- in order for a function to have an inverse it must map distinct values to distinct values. Given e^(w+2kπi), every integer value of k maps e^(w+2kπi) to the same value, Therefore, one cannot take ln(e^(w+2kπi)) and assert that it is equal to (w+2kπi).

As unJon (and his reference) says, e^(w+2kπi) is a periodic or circular function. If you try to take the natural logarithm you destroy the periodical (or circular) nature of the function.

Many thanks, unJon!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 14th, 2022 at 2:07:02 PM permalink
I think a related concept is that x1/2 is not single-valued, therefore x2 and x1/2 are only inverse functions if you restrict the domain of x1/2 to "all non-negative numbers" or "all negative numbers."

Clearly you cannot take the square of x = -1 and calculate the result as 1 and then take the square root of 1, and calculate that result as +/-1 and somehow claim that -1 = +/-1.

• Jump to: