AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 4th, 2021 at 4:12:45 PM permalink
I was dealing with a large USA bank this week. Instead of an account number they asked for the person's last 4. To my surprise this identified the person with no other info needed! The place has millions of customers.

So, what are the odds if you call a bank and give the last 4 of your SS number that no other customer has it with:

100,000 customers
500,000 customers
1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

And what is the way to figure this? Stats class was a lifetime ago and I do not remember this kind of problem. I imagine it is done like the odds of 2 people having the same birthday in a group of 30 where you figure the odds of NOT having it and reverse it?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 4th, 2021 at 4:34:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I was dealing with a large USA bank this week. Instead of an account number they asked for the person's last 4. To my surprise this identified the person with no other info needed! The place has millions of customers.

WHAT?!

I don’t even think it’s unlikely for multiple customers to have the same last 4.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 4th, 2021 at 4:39:20 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

WHAT?!

I don’t even think it’s unlikely for multiple customers to have the same last 4.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html

That is my point, only 10,000 possible combinations assuming none are reserved (0000?) So many should have the same, but the one I called with (my job to call) they had to be the only one as Caller ID would not equate my number with one.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
March 4th, 2021 at 4:54:29 PM permalink

So, what are the odds if you call a bank and give the last 4 of your SS number that no other customer has it with:

100,000 customers
500,000 customers
1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

And what is the way to figure this? Stats class was a lifetime ago and I do not remember this kind of problem. I imagine it is done like the odds of 2 people having the same birthday in a group of 30 where you figure the odds of NOT having it and reverse it?

They asked for NOTHING else?

Not for person name or birthday?

You just called and they said what is your last four digits of SSN and they suddenly knew who you were?

And we're you calling from your cell phone? This is important as many places will have cell info.

So you call from cell, it is recognized as belonging to you personally, they just ask your last four SSN to make sure it's not someone else using your phone
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
heatmap
heatmap 
  • Threads: 260
March 4th, 2021 at 5:06:41 PM permalink
i can get the last 4 digits of your credit card just by following you to a gas station and using the one in whatever times you forget the receipt

i can get your name by going through your trash

etc etc
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 4th, 2021 at 5:19:10 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

They asked for NOTHING else?

Not for person name or birthday?

You just called and they said what is your last four digits of SSN and they suddenly knew who you were?

And we're you calling from your cell phone? This is important as many places will have cell info.

So you call from cell, it is recognized as belonging to you personally, they just ask your last four SSN to make sure it's not someone else using your phone

No, I explained above it was not mine, it was a client. So my phone would not match the number they had on file. Yes, I punched in the last 4 and they found the account on that alone. With a couple million customers I want to know how long the odds are.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
March 4th, 2021 at 5:27:41 PM permalink

No, I explained above it was not mine, it was a client. So my phone would not match the number they had on file. Yes, I punched in the last 4 and they found the account on that alone. With a couple million customers I want to know how long the odds are.

Could be if your last four returned multiple possibilities then they would have asked a follow-up.

You are correct that this is just the birthday match formula.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 4th, 2021 at 5:30:18 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Could be if your last four returned multiple possibilities then they would have asked a follow-up.

This makes more sense.

Not sure why but I thought AZD was working at/with this bank in some professional capacity and knew they were only referencing account by last-4.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 4th, 2021 at 5:43:06 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Of course they would ask more, I have had them do so. This time there were none so means only 1 person had that last 4.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
March 4th, 2021 at 6:17:05 PM permalink

Of course they would ask more, I have had them do so. This time there were none so means only 1 person had that last 4.

Well that’s a different a question and not the birthday problem. It’s the chance this particular person doesn’t have a last four as any of the other X people.

Chance = 1 - (9,999 / 10,000 )^X
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 4th, 2021 at 6:21:06 PM permalink

100,000 customers
500,000 customers
1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

. They have your phone number also, as I’m guessing you called them. So the odds of someone having your phone number and the same last 4 digits in Ss# is..... this doesn’t answer your question.... but they knew it was you via the phone number and was just checking by asking your last 4.... edit.... I think you are just forgetting a detail. Meaning.... perhaps you said a name or an account number or something else’s as well ...
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 4th, 2021 at 6:51:55 PM permalink

1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

Approximately zero
It’s all about making that GTA
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 2:45:09 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

. They have your phone number also, as I’m guessing you called them. So the odds of someone having your phone number and the same last 4 digits in Ss# is..... this doesn’t answer your question.... but they knew it was you via the phone number and was just checking by asking your last 4.... edit.... I think you are just forgetting a detail. Meaning.... perhaps you said a name or an account number or something else’s as well ...

Again, it was NOT MY ACCOUNT. So they did not use Caller ID or anything else. This person was the only one with that last 4 as after I punched that in the automated system brought it up. I am aware they use Caller ID to screen as I have made easily 1,000 of these inquiries in my life. I am 100% certain that the last 4 was the only thing they used to identify.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 5th, 2021 at 3:18:55 AM permalink
I suspect there is just some hidden automation using modern technology that allows them to identify with minimalist information.

True story:. When I was 19 I ordered from a Chinese takeout a "Half fried chicken and Pork Fried Rice".

The woman turned to the chef and yelled "Di Yi"

That was it!

I couldn't fathom that "Half Fried Chicken and Pork Fried Rice' translated to just "Di Yi" in Chinese and was certain she probably messed up my order so I questioned her rather suspiciously.

"Excuse me. 'Di Yi' is how you say 'half fried chicken and pork fried rice' in Chinese?'

"It means 'Number One'", and pointed to the menu!

Anyway, my point is be wary of trying to extrapolate what you think is going on with other people's systems of work.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 4:28:15 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I suspect there is just some hidden automation using modern technology that allows them to identify with minimalist information.

Unless they are mind reading it is impossible. I am calling from another phone in another part of the country. And I call the same bank for multiple accounts.
darkoz
darkoz
March 5th, 2021 at 5:15:47 AM permalink

Unless they are mind reading it is impossible. I am calling from another phone in another part of the country. And I call the same bank for multiple accounts.

That's the genius of "hidden" automation.

You can't see it.

Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it's not there
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 5th, 2021 at 7:02:37 AM permalink
Is it possible that the customer was in their system as having been tied to your company? Maybe he was the only customer with those last four that is cross referenced to your company?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 5th, 2021 at 8:10:18 AM permalink

Voice recognition software?

Or maybe the FBI intercepted your call.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
March 5th, 2021 at 8:21:37 AM permalink
I'd think a system that can identify a person from four digits could predict red or black on a regular basis.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 8:48:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Is it possible that the customer was in their system as having been tied to your company? Maybe he was the only customer with those last four that is cross referenced to your company?

Nope.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 8:49:04 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Voice recognition software?

Or maybe the FBI intercepted your call.

FBI is too buys following me in their Econolines to have time for that.
billryan
billryan
March 5th, 2021 at 9:07:30 AM permalink
It's obviously magick.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
March 5th, 2021 at 9:59:43 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's obviously magick.

You are closer to the answer than you intended

I dabbled in magic for awhile and the "hidden" solution to how the trick worked was usually so damn simple but almost no one ever guessed how I was doing it.
  • Jump to: