SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
March 4th, 2021 at 6:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I was dealing with a large USA bank this week. Instead of an account number they asked for the person's last 4. To my surprise this identified the person with no other info needed! The place has millions of customers.

So, what are the odds if you call a bank and give the last 4 of your SS number that no other customer has it with:

100,000 customers
500,000 customers
1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

And what is the way to figure this? Stats class was a lifetime ago and I do not remember this kind of problem. I imagine it is done like the odds of 2 people having the same birthday in a group of 30 where you figure the odds of NOT having it and reverse it?

. They have your phone number also, as Iím guessing you called them. So the odds of someone having your phone number and the same last 4 digits in Ss# is..... this doesnít answer your question.... but they knew it was you via the phone number and was just checking by asking your last 4.... edit.... I think you are just forgetting a detail. Meaning.... perhaps you said a name or an account number or something elseís as well ...
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 23
March 4th, 2021 at 6:51:55 PM permalink

So, what are the odds if you call a bank and give the last 4 of your SS number that no other customer has it with:

1,000,000 customers
2,000,000 customers
4,000,000 customers

Approximately zero
Itís all about making that GTA
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
March 5th, 2021 at 2:45:09 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

. They have your phone number also, as Iím guessing you called them. So the odds of someone having your phone number and the same last 4 digits in Ss# is..... this doesnít answer your question.... but they knew it was you via the phone number and was just checking by asking your last 4.... edit.... I think you are just forgetting a detail. Meaning.... perhaps you said a name or an account number or something elseís as well ...

Again, it was NOT MY ACCOUNT. So they did not use Caller ID or anything else. This person was the only one with that last 4 as after I punched that in the automated system brought it up. I am aware they use Caller ID to screen as I have made easily 1,000 of these inquiries in my life. I am 100% certain that the last 4 was the only thing they used to identify.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 252
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
March 5th, 2021 at 3:18:55 AM permalink
I suspect there is just some hidden automation using modern technology that allows them to identify with minimalist information.

True story:. When I was 19 I ordered from a Chinese takeout a "Half fried chicken and Pork Fried Rice".

The woman turned to the chef and yelled "Di Yi"

That was it!

I couldn't fathom that "Half Fried Chicken and Pork Fried Rice' translated to just "Di Yi" in Chinese and was certain she probably messed up my order so I questioned her rather suspiciously.

"Excuse me. 'Di Yi' is how you say 'half fried chicken and pork fried rice' in Chinese?'

"It means 'Number One'", and pointed to the menu!

Anyway, my point is be wary of trying to extrapolate what you think is going on with other people's systems of work.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 4:28:15 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I suspect there is just some hidden automation using modern technology that allows them to identify with minimalist information.

Unless they are mind reading it is impossible. I am calling from another phone in another part of the country. And I call the same bank for multiple accounts.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 252
March 5th, 2021 at 5:15:47 AM permalink

Unless they are mind reading it is impossible. I am calling from another phone in another part of the country. And I call the same bank for multiple accounts.

That's the genius of "hidden" automation.

You can't see it.

Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it's not there
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 5th, 2021 at 7:02:37 AM permalink
Is it possible that the customer was in their system as having been tied to your company? Maybe he was the only customer with those last four that is cross referenced to your company?
Living longer does not always infer +EV
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
March 5th, 2021 at 8:10:18 AM permalink

Voice recognition software?

Or maybe the FBI intercepted your call.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 178
March 5th, 2021 at 8:21:37 AM permalink
I'd think a system that can identify a person from four digits could predict red or black on a regular basis.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2021 at 8:48:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Is it possible that the customer was in their system as having been tied to your company? Maybe he was the only customer with those last four that is cross referenced to your company?

Nope.

• Jump to: