david862
david862
  • Threads: 1
September 8th, 2019 at 11:30:40 PM permalink
Given that craps has a house edge... if two friends wanted to play an even game where neither the thrower or the bettor would have an advantage... what is the easiest way to do that?

I figured basing a win on rolling a 5, 6, 8 or 9 would be a 50/50 chance. Is this true?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 16
September 8th, 2019 at 11:46:34 PM permalink
I'd stick with just a side bet where the 5, 6, 8, or 9 is a single bet against all the other numbers as a single bet. I've never played street craps so I don't know how players fade each others bets.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
September 9th, 2019 at 2:38:28 AM permalink
Quote: david862

Given that craps has a house edge... if two friends wanted to play an even game where neither the thrower or the bettor would have an advantage... what is the easiest way to do that?

I figured basing a win on rolling a 5, 6, 8 or 9 would be a 50/50 chance. Is this true?

Or play Heads-or-Tails.
Or throw 3coins and win if more heads than tails. Or 1001 coins, for that matter.

Where’s the fun?

Craps or 421 attract because they introduce some sequence and choices by the player.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 9
September 9th, 2019 at 3:08:21 AM permalink

If you want to keep the flavor of craps you can do the following:

1) Shooter can make only a pass line bet. Non-shooter books that action.

2) On the come out roll make the 11 a loser instead of a winner. Keep all else the same.

3) If a point is established, convert the original PL bet to an odds bet that pays based on what point is established just like an odds bet in craps.

Voila. No house edge craps.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
September 9th, 2019 at 3:15:20 AM permalink
Voilà is the right spelling.

(Voila is the preterit form of the verb ‘’voiler’’, to veil.)
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
September 9th, 2019 at 3:54:17 AM permalink
Kubikulann is the real Hercule Poirot? Voila instead of Voilà is the sort of thing that would bother Poirot too

Everybody wants to reinvent the wheel. The way Craps is played fairly is to pass the dice when the shooter sevens out
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 9
September 9th, 2019 at 4:08:12 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Kubikulann is the real Hercule Poirot? Voila instead of Voilà is the sort of thing that would bother Poirot too

Everybody wants to reinvent the wheel. The way Craps is played fairly is to pass the dice when the shooter sevens out

That wouldn’t be “fair.” Fair would be passing the dice every time a pass line bet resolves no matter how it resolves. So that each player makes and books the same number of pass line wagers.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 29
September 9th, 2019 at 4:37:23 AM permalink

Given that craps has a house edge... if two friends wanted to play an even game where neither the thrower or the bettor would have an advantage... what is the easiest way to do that? ....

Charlie's Craps - as follows

Come out roll as normal (wins on 7 11 lose on 2 3 12)

Any other number is then considered either High (8-12) or Low (2-6), and you win if you throw the same group again before a 7 or the other group.

As an example if you rolled a 8 9 or 10 then you need to roll a High number (8 9 10 11 or 12) before you roll a 7 or Low number (2 3 4 5 6).

Also after coming out, there's no waiting around as the bet will be resolved on the second roll.

Edit: Thanks BBB, changed typo
Last edited by: charliepatrick on Sep 9, 2019
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
September 9th, 2019 at 6:36:46 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Charlie's Craps - as follows

Come out roll as normal (wins on 7 11 lose on 2 3 12)

Any other number is then considered either High (8-12) or Low (2-6), and you win if you throw the same group again before a 7 or the other group.

As an example if you rolled a 8 9 or 10 then you need to roll a High number (8 9 10 11 or 12) before you roll a 7 or Low number (2 3 4 5 6 7).

Also after coming out, there's no waiting around as the bet will be resolved on the second roll.

That's pretty good. Just a typo (sort of) in the instructions, repeating the 7 in the set of low numbers.

Curious why you don't include the 11 as a come-out loser in this variation? 8 winners, 4 losers, 24 point rolls this way. Why not 6 winners, 6 losers?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 29
September 9th, 2019 at 7:25:14 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Why you don't include the 11 as a come-out loser in this variation? 8 winners, 4 losers, 24 point rolls this way. Why not 6 winners, 6 losers?

Thanks - I didn't really think that much about it, except I wanted to leave the come out asis (c.f. crapless craps where people might be unhappy not winning on an 11) and played around on a spreadsheet needing to get back some House Edge on the points (i.e. they have to be less that 50% to win).

(i) If 7 and 11 win, that's 8 chances
(ii) if 2, 3 and 12 lose, that's 4 chances.
(iii) So from 24 other outcomes we need 10 winners and 14 losers - i.e. Pr(winning with a point) needs to be 5/12.
(iv) {2 3 4 5 6} = 15 ways, so Pr(Winning) = 15/36. Yippee!

btw ignoring 2 and 12, gives a fairly small House Edge, ignoring 2 3 11 and 12 gives a larger House Edge.

As to the original idea, another way of getting even is that 7 wins, 2 3 11 12 loses, but all points only lose on their opposite (e.g. 6 loses on an 8). Similar numbers are (i) 6 winners (ii) 6 losers (iii) half win, half lose.

• Jump to: