Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 12th, 2012 at 4:14:24 PM permalink
Joe puts his canoe in the river and starts paddling upstream. After a mile his hat falls in the river. Ten minutes later he realizes his hat is missing and immediately paddles downstream to retrieve it. He catches up to it at the same place he launched his canoe in the first place.

What is the speed of the river current?

I would suggest posting your answers openly. However, if you wish to post a solution, please hide it in "spoiler tags."

nice day
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
June 12th, 2012 at 4:18:32 PM permalink
6 mph, assuming he paddles consistently.

edit: Damn thats not the right answer, hold on
Vote for Nobody 2020!
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
June 12th, 2012 at 4:21:17 PM permalink
3 mph
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 12th, 2012 at 4:26:21 PM permalink
Not enough information.
How fast does he paddle? Also, one assumes he paddles faster to catch up to his hat, so his upstream speed will not be the same.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
June 12th, 2012 at 4:31:15 PM permalink
I agree with Chester Dog: 3mph.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
June 12th, 2012 at 4:33:55 PM permalink
damnit you are right. it must be 3 mph
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 12th, 2012 at 4:49:34 PM permalink
I confirm I get 3 mph too. I have an easy solution and a hard solution...

If Joe paddles upstream and them downstream the same amount of time in both directions then his effort paddling in both directions an equal amount of time would cancel out. In other words, he would end up in the same place if he floated the whole time.

We know he paddled upstream for ten minutes. So, after paddling downstream for another ten minutes he would end up in the same spot as he would had he floated for 20 minutes. We also know from the problem that in this same 20 minutes the hat floated one mile. So if the hat travels a mile in 20 minutes then it would travel three miles in an hour, for a speed of 3 m.ph..

Let:

p=paddling speed in still water.
c=current of the water.
d=distance Joe paddled upstream since his hat fell out of the canoe.

Recall that distance = rate * time. Consider the unknown distance Joe went upstream since his hat fell out:

(1) d=(p-c)*(1/6)

This is because his net speed is the paddling speed less the current speed. We know he paddled without his hat upstream for 1/6 of an hour.
We’re also given that it took the same time for the hat to float downriver a mile as it took for Joe to travel d miles upstream and 1+d miles downstream. Let’s set up an equation, balancing for time.

(2) Time for hat to float one mile downstream = Time for Joe to travel d miles upstream + Time for Joe to travel 1+d times downstream.

Time for hat to float one mile downstream = one mile/rate of current = 1/c.

Time for Joe to travel d miles upstream = 1/6 (in hours), as provided in the question.

Time for Joe to travel 1+d times downstream = distance Joe traveled downstream / rate Joe traveled downstream = [1 + (1/6)*(p-c) ]/ (p+c).

The distance is the one mile the hat floated in the river + the (1/6)*(p-c) from equation (1). Joe’s speed going downstream is p+c, which is the sum of his paddling speed and current speed.

Now we’re ready to solve for equation (2)

1/c = (1/6) + [1 + (1/6)*(p-c) ]/ (p+c)
1/c = (1/6) + (6+p-c)/(6p+6c)
6/c = 1 + (6+p-c)/(p+c) Multiplying both sides by 6.
6/c = (p+c)/(p+c) + (6+p-c)/(p+c) Finding a common denominator
6/c = (6+2p)/(p+c)
6p + 6c = 6c + 2pc
6p = 2pc
3=c
So the current is 3 miles per hour.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
June 12th, 2012 at 4:51:58 PM permalink
I like these problems, even if I end up looking ignorant for posting the wrong answer!
Vote for Nobody 2020!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 12th, 2012 at 5:16:26 PM permalink
Let "X" equal the size of the hat.
Let "Y" be the pretty girl at the craps table who is wearing the "Algebra, Go Solve Your Own Proofs" tee-shirt.
Let "Z" be the size of your bankroll.
Take bankroll and stunning girl to dinner, drinks and post-prandial enjoyment of better things than people who paddle along not realizing they are hatless.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 12th, 2012 at 9:45:23 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Let "Y" be the pretty girl at the craps table who is wearing the "Algebra, Go Solve Your Own Proofs" tee-shirt.

I'd rather go canoeing hatless, listening to "Men Without Hats," than suffer through dinner with any woman wearing that shirt. However, if she took it off, I could see setting aside a math problem for a few minutes.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 13th, 2012 at 2:12:01 AM permalink
Well, that's the idea.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 13th, 2012 at 6:34:34 AM permalink
Albert Einstein proved that all objects with a rest mass move at exactly the speed of light in spacetime at all times, and that this speed is constant and invariable. Why are we still devising math problems about relative speeds?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
June 13th, 2012 at 7:16:26 AM permalink
I hate these f***ing problems. They're my achilles heal in mathematics.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
June 13th, 2012 at 7:57:28 AM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

I like these problems, even if I end up looking ignorant for posting the wrong answer!

You mean "talking through your hat"? LOL
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
June 13th, 2012 at 8:00:34 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Joe puts his canoe in the river and starts paddling upstream. After a mile his hat falls in the river. Ten minutes later he realizes his hat is missing and immediately paddles downstream to retrieve it. He catches up to it at the same place he launched his canoe in the first place.

What is the speed of the river current?

I would suggest posting your answers openly. However, if you wish to post a solution, please hide it in "spoiler tags."

Have a nice day.

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 13th, 2012 at 9:20:54 AM permalink

I confirm I get 3 mph too. I have an easy solution and a hard solution...

I still maintain the original question did not contain enough information.
The 3 mph solution assumes a consistent paddle rate in both directions. I posit that he paddled twice as fast downstream in an adrenaline fueled frenzy, fearful of losing his special canoe hat forever:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 13th, 2012 at 9:39:41 AM permalink
I also get 3

Let t be the time in hours it takes for Joe to reach his hat once he turns around,
v the speed of the current,
and c the speed of the canoe without regard to the current
The hat floats 1 mile in (1/6 + t) hours, so v = 1 / (1/6 + t).
Joe travels at speed (v - c) for 1/6 hours, then speed (v + c) for t hours; his total distance is 1 mile.
1/6 (v - c) + t (v + c) = 1
(1/6 + t) v + (t - 1/6) c = 1
We know v = 1 / (1/6 + t), so (1/6 + t) v = 1:
1 + (t - 1/6) c = 1
(t - 1/6) c = 0
This means that c = 0 or t = 1/6
If c = 0, then Joe would have been alongside the hat the entire time, and not "caught up to it"
Therefore, t = 1/6, and v = 1 / (1/6 + t) = 1 / (1/3) = 3 mph.
Doc
Doc
June 13th, 2012 at 9:51:04 AM permalink
Quote: ewjones080

I hate these f***ing problems. They're my achilles heal in mathematics.

When I was an undergraduate, I came home one weekend, and my mother told me that there had been a big flap. My younger brother in elementary school had missed a question on a math test and didn't understand why his answer was wrong. He gave the problem to our father who shared it with the group of engineers he worked with. They agreed with my brother's answer, but the teacher still disagreed. I read the problem and immediately recognized why there was disagreement.

Of course, I don't remember the exact problem, but it went something like this:
Quote:

A man is traveling by train. First, he takes an express train for 60 miles, with that segment requiring one hour. He switches to a local train and travels 20 miles farther, with the second segment requiring an additional 40 minutes.
(a) What was his average speed for the trip?
(b) If he had ridden the express train for 10 more miles before he changed trains, what would have been his average speed?

Neglect any time involved in changing from one train to the other and treat each train as if it travels at a constant speed.

You may answer (a) and (b), but my additional question is this: Why was there such disagreement on the answer to part (b)? (No, it was not just someone's incompetence at arithmetic.)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2012 at 10:14:51 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

A man is traveling by train. First, he takes an express train for 60 miles, with that segment requiring one hour. He switches to a local train and travels 20 miles farther, with the second segment requiring an additional 40 minutes.
(a) What was his average speed for the trip?
(b) If he had ridden the express train for 10 more miles before he changed trains, what would have been his average speed?

A) 48 MPH
B) 53.333... MPH

I'll wait for more answers to pour in, but off hand I don't see any justification for any other answer to B.

It takes 70 minutes to travel the first 70 minutes, and 20 minutes to travel the last 10. So, overall it took 90 minutes to travel 80 miles. That is a speed of 80/90 =0.888... miles per minute, or 53.333 miles per hour.

By the way, I like the picture in Aye's spoiler three posts above. Definitely a good canoeing hat.
Doc
Doc
June 13th, 2012 at 10:25:35 AM permalink

I'll wait for more answers to pour in, but off hand I don't see any justification for any other answer to B.

Other than a minor typo in your spoiler, I'd go along with that answer and solution. At least for the problem as you interpreted it.

Is there another way to interpret the question and get a different answer?
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
June 13th, 2012 at 10:27:10 AM permalink

When I was an undergraduate, I came home one weekend, and my mother told me that there had been a big flap. My younger brother in elementary school had missed a question on a math test and didn't understand why his answer was wrong. He gave the problem to our father who shared it with the group of engineers he worked with. They agreed with my brother's answer, but the teacher still disagreed. I read the problem and immediately recognized why there was disagreement.

Of course, I don't remember the exact problem, but it went something like this:

You may answer (a) and (b), but my additional question is this: Why was there such disagreement on the answer to part (b)? (No, it was not just someone's incompetence at arithmetic.)

B makes it clear that our traveler is going 10 miles further on the express train but does not explain if that is at the expense of 20 miles on the local segment. I would imagine the teacher was looking for 60/20 and then 70/10, but it does not make much sense to interpret the question that way as the train station could not move 10 miles. We should assume that he went from 60/20 to 70/20.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Doc
Doc
June 13th, 2012 at 10:34:19 AM permalink
So what's the "other" answer to (b)?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2012 at 10:37:53 AM permalink
RE: bigfoot's "other interpretation."

I hope nobody will mind that I say that bigfoot's interpreation is that the passenger got on the express train at a stop 10 miles further away from his destination, and changed trains at the usual station. That is certainly not how I interpreted the problem. However, I think if the question is ambiguous then any fault should lie (or is it lay) with the person framing the question. That said, if I were the teacher I would accept bigfoot's solution as well.

So what's the "other" answer to (b)?

49.090909... MPH.
Doc
Doc
June 13th, 2012 at 10:47:21 AM permalink
That is exactly what was the disagreement. After almost half a century, I'm not completely sure, but I think the teacher used the Wizard's original interpretation, while my brother and the engineers used bigfoot66's interpretation. The teacher was not as accepting of other viewpoints as the Wizard seems to be. I think it was a case of believing, "The answer book is never wrong."

As a grad student/TA and later as the instructor, my experience was often that, "The answer book is rarely right." I formed the opinion that college solution manuals were often prepared by the professor/author's student assistant who had to prepare hundreds/thousands of solutions in as little time as possible at the lowest rate paid on campus. Result: lots of errors.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 13th, 2012 at 11:05:03 AM permalink

As a grad student/TA and later as the instructor, my experience was often that, "The answer book is rarely right." I formed the opinion that college solution manuals were often prepared by the professor/author's student assistant who had to prepare hundreds/thousands of solutions in as little time as possible at the lowest rate paid on campus. Result: lots of errors.

I wish I could get back all the time I spent beating my head against the wall because of incorrect answers in the "back of the book." In my old high school math books the error rate was quite high. You would think the publisher could pay at least two people to work through all the problems to make sure two heads come up with the same answer.

Back the problem, I think anyone familiar with taking commuter trains would interpret it my way, especially in New York, where trains on the same route run at different speeds. It is also normal for people to go from point A to B over and over, but the time of the commute might change depending on the availability of express trains.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 13th, 2012 at 11:28:36 AM permalink
The original post is deceptively complicated. Basically, it all boils down to: a hat floats in a river for 20 minutes and travels one mile. How many miles will it travel in an hour?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Doc
Doc
June 13th, 2012 at 11:40:52 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

The original post is deceptively complicated. Basically, it all boils down to: a hat floats in a river for 20 minutes and travels one mile. How many miles will it travel in an hour?

Except it takes a little figuring to know that it took 20 minutes for it to float that mile.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 13th, 2012 at 1:33:20 PM permalink

I believe that Steve Wolfram, the creator of Mathematica, faced the same problem when checking his computer program against authoritative sources. His program would often give different answers .... and it turns out it was the sample inputs he had taken from recognized authorities were in the wrong.
  • Jump to: