Avincow
Avincow
  • Threads: 24
September 15th, 2015 at 3:00:53 PM permalink
I received an email on 9-15-2015 that Uber is now live in Vegas!

I am requesting a review of Uber in Vegas. I am a frequent user of Uber in my hometown, but as I understand it, there may or may not be some differences in Vegas (extra fees, pre-determined pick-up locations, etc.).
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
September 15th, 2015 at 3:12:05 PM permalink
I just received the same email. I checked my phone and there didn't appear to be very many cars on the road yet. I would expect it will take a couple of weeks before they are staffed at a comfortable level.

The nearest car to me when I checked was still 6 minutes away. That is twice as long as I had to wait in San Diego and used it 8-10 times with the longest wait being 3 minutes. I did see a minimum fare of $5 on the app today. In San Diego the minimum was $4.

My understanding is that Uber has no location restrictions placed upon them in Las Vegas.
Order from chaos
Wonko33
Wonko33
  • Threads: 15
September 15th, 2015 at 3:37:56 PM permalink
They usually can't pick you up at the airport because taxi companies have deals with airports. Would there be similar deals with some hotel curbs?
So Wizard, still no basic strategy for strip poker huh?
studmuffn
studmuffn
  • Threads: 3
September 15th, 2015 at 3:48:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wonko33

They usually can't pick you up at the airport because taxi companies have deals with airports. Would there be similar deals with some hotel curbs?

They can pick you up at the airport as long as no one knows they are Uber drivers. For best camouflage, give the driver a big hug and kiss on the cheek.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 79
September 15th, 2015 at 4:06:31 PM permalink
Quote: studmuffn

They can pick you up at the airport as long as no one knows they are Uber drivers. For best camouflage, give the driver a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

San Diego has a designated area for Uber pickups. Pretty much the same type area as cabs and hotel shuttle buses. My understanding is that Uber can pick up at Las Vegas airport. Most likely they will eventually put in a designated pick up area too.
Order from chaos
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
September 15th, 2015 at 6:25:05 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My understanding is that Uber can pick up at Las Vegas airport. Most likely they will eventually put in a designated pick up area too.

Apparently, on September 15, the Nevada Transportation Authority approved pickups at airports by Lyft and Uber.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
September 15th, 2015 at 6:27:54 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Apparently, on September 15, the Nevada Transportation Authority approved pickups at airports by Lyft and Uber.

Good for them! I wouldn't have predicted it. There is a 13-page discussion on Uber at DT, if anyone is interested.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
September 15th, 2015 at 7:51:57 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good for them! I wouldn't have predicted it. There is a 13-page discussion on Uber at DT, if anyone is interested.

I have a review of Uber in this aforesaid thread which I will not duplicate post here.

HOWEVER, I do have a free $20 towards your first Uber fare with the following promo code:

ubera01qz

Full disclosure: we both get $20 so it is win/win. Admin, Wiz gave permission to post the code at DT.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
September 15th, 2015 at 8:19:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Full disclosure: we both get $20 so it is win/win. Admin, Wiz gave permission to post the code at DT.

Permission also granted here. I highly recommend Uber and hope you'll take advantage of AZD's promo code.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
September 15th, 2015 at 8:47:19 PM permalink
Uber is a great deal for passengers because
Uber is saturating the market with drivers.
This means the driver often arrives
in just minutes because he's been sitting
in his car waiting for a fare for 20min.

Soon there will be a Uber driver sitting on every
street waiting for his app to ping. He won't
even be making min wage, but the customer
will be happy.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: