Willow
Willow
  • Threads: 1
July 30th, 2013 at 9:08:55 AM permalink
My wife and I are planning a trip to Vegas in September and I would like to play a round of golf when I am there. Can anyone recommend a few courses to try. I've only been playing for the last five years and shoot around 105 so I am leery of some the championship courses that are advertised (like the Bali Hai and the Royal Links).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
July 30th, 2013 at 10:24:39 AM permalink
Play from the ladies tees....just kidding. Executive courses may be the ticket. Google Executive Golf Courses L.V.....I'm sure you know that...
Each day is better than the next
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
July 30th, 2013 at 10:39:39 AM permalink
There's a site called golfnow. You can save money here and find a decent course.

Even with a high cap, I would much rather play a professional course over a public course.
Buffering...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 30th, 2013 at 11:21:11 AM permalink
I recommend Angel Park out by my house. It is somewhere between a public course and the really fancy courses like Shadow Creek. They have two 18-hole courses and one 9-hole.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
July 30th, 2013 at 11:26:39 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Play from the ladies tees....just kidding.

I play with a few old guys that kinda suck. I suggested they play from the ladies tees. They would always respond "No way I'm hitting from the f'ng ladies tees."

Then the course added a new set of tees they call "scoring tees." They are placed 1-2 yards behind the ladies tees. Of course, all these dudes play them now.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 30th, 2013 at 11:33:51 AM permalink
I play about at the same level and I enjoy Rhodes Ranch, Legacy, Highland Falls and a few others.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
July 30th, 2013 at 12:30:27 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

I play with a few old guys that kinda suck. I suggested they play from the ladies tees. They would always respond "No way I'm hitting from the f'ng ladies tees."

Then the course added a new set of tees they call "scoring tees." They are placed 1-2 yards behind the ladies tees. Of course, all these dudes play them now.

The PGA is promoting 'Tee it Forward' an idea designed to speed up play. Golf courses are too tough for 90% of players. 90% of players are hacks. Back in the day if a guy couldn't advance the ball past the ladies tees he had to pull down pants before playing next shot.
Each day is better than the next
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 30th, 2013 at 12:36:28 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
July 30th, 2013 at 12:40:13 PM permalink
I am a slightly better golfer than you, and worse some days judging by the score. Anyway I found Royal Links very enjoyable and pretty wide open. Now I would avoid Desert Pines if you dont hit it straight.
Willow
Willow
  • Threads: 1
August 3rd, 2013 at 7:11:54 AM permalink
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check out the courses that were recommended and just Tee It Forward and have fun.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 3rd, 2013 at 7:59:54 AM permalink

Back in the day if a guy couldn't advance the ball past the ladies tees he had to pull down pants before playing next shot.

Thankfully, nobody invokes that custom when I play.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 3rd, 2013 at 10:32:19 AM permalink

Back in the day if a guy couldn't advance the ball past the ladies tees he had to pull down pants before playing next shot.

Yes, the good ole "dick out rule." My Sunday group still employs that rule. It hardly ever happens since our handicaps range from 6-8. Perhaps once per year, maybe. You can opt to keep it in your pants if you pay each guy a $20 surcharge.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 3rd, 2013 at 10:44:54 AM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Yes, the good ole "dick out rule." My Sunday group still employs that rule. It hardly ever happens since our handicaps range from 6-8. Perhaps once per year, maybe. You can opt to keep it in your pants if you pay each guy a $20 surcharge.

When I used to play disk golf we had a Mulligan rule where if off the tee the disk didn't go more than x yards you could take a Mulligan but had to yell at the top of your lungs "I'm lame" or something to that effect.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 3rd, 2013 at 12:10:03 PM permalink
One way to determine how hard a course is is by its Rating and Slope numbers. Divide the slope by 5.381 and add the course rating; this is what a golfer who "normally" shoots a 90 is expected to shoot on the course. The lower the slope, the closer a weaker golfer should be able to get to shooting par for the course. (The "baseline" slope is 113.)
biggianthead
biggianthead
  • Threads: 0
October 17th, 2013 at 3:51:42 PM permalink
I know I'm a bit late here but I played Angel Park on my most recent trip in May. Found a great deal on the web consisting of golf, cart hire, club hire and half dozen balls for $64. Only issue was the late-ish tee off (3.24pm if my memory serves correct) but it was plenty of time to get the round completed
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 19th, 2013 at 4:39:20 AM permalink
Did you know there is a golf course at Myrtle Beach named The Wizard? That just gave me a great idea.

Wizard, you say you stink at golf so how about posting some videos of you hitting balls? Forum members could critique your swing and give you some tips to lower your monstrous handicap. I believe there is a golf pro who is a forum member but an experienced player could spot the major flaws and get you on the right (swing) path. There's one thing to keep in mind though. If you think gamblers are full of advice, most of it wrong, you haven't seen anything until you've been on a golf course.

Maybe this could morph into the next challenge. There would be plenty to wager on. When will the Wizard make his first birdie? When will he break 100?

Okay gotta go. Today is Hartford's annual Hooker Day Parade. Sounds yummy doesn't it? :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 30th, 2016 at 6:43:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I play about at the same level and I enjoy Rhodes Ranch, Legacy, Highland Falls and a few others.

Just played Rhodes Ranch. Generous lush fairways. Rough not too tough. Only hit one ball into rocky desert like stuff. Entire course in A+ condition. Played the whites (6000) so no real long par 4s. I really enjoyed the course.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 3rd, 2016 at 12:37:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Just played Rhodes Ranch. Generous lush fairways. Rough not too tough. Only hit one ball into rocky desert like stuff. Entire course in A+ condition. Played the whites (6000) so no real long par 4s. I really enjoyed the course.

I do like Rhodes Ranch because it is pretty and not very hard.

This weekend will be my first real round of golf in over a year. We are playing Stallion Mountain and it will be my first round swinging anything lower than a 6 iron since the medical procedure on my back. I did play a par 3 course to test my back and all went well.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: