ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
May 4th, 2011 at 8:56:17 PM permalink
Alright so we all know that you're never supposed to give a tip directly to an employee. You're supposed to put/throw it on the table then tell them it's theirs or some variation. My question comes to when a die leaves the table from an overzealous shooter and you are the one who sees it (we've all done it) - Are you supposed to give it directly back to them or throw it on the table? I have always and will continue to always throw it back on the table unless I get berated here.

I ask because the last few times I've done this the crew got mad at me and wanted me to give it back to them, touching the closest dealer. It just seems like this is inconsistent and I'd rather have the crew a little mad at me than draw attention from upstairs (I don't do anything illegal, just isn't something I want).
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
May 4th, 2011 at 9:03:06 PM permalink
Any craps table I have ever played wants the dice handed back to the closest dealer or alternately the pit bull has come over and taken it from me. I am not sure why maybe some of the dealers on the site can provide the reason. I had never thought about the fact that a die is the only thing you can actually give to the dealer directly.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
May 4th, 2011 at 9:03:36 PM permalink
It has often surprised me that the dealers are completely willing to accept a die transferred directly hand to hand from a player, when they wouldn't accept cash, chips, or (presumably) most anything else in that manner. Yes, handing the die to the dealer seems to be the accepted procedure.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
May 4th, 2011 at 9:36:24 PM permalink
Probably something to do with dice switching and sleight of hand.
NO KILL I
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 85
May 4th, 2011 at 10:26:01 PM permalink
Never seen a dealer take the dice before. Even when offered, the dealer points to drop the dice on the table. The croupier rakes the dice to the table boss who inspects them. Don't want to even give the appearance of collusion.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 4th, 2011 at 11:00:40 PM permalink
In my experience, I've always handed it to the dealer, who always has their hand extended to receive it

The boxman always inspects it carefully so I don't think they are too concerned a switch happening when it is handed in.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1336
May 4th, 2011 at 11:24:16 PM permalink
I've never thought about it before, but I have picked up an overthrown die from the floor several times and handed them it the closest dealer. Never have I been told it was bad protocol.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
May 5th, 2011 at 3:38:06 AM permalink
I've always seen it handed directly to the dealer nearest or the pit person who shows they will be the one to take it. It should be handed with a very open hand and held with 2 fingers to avoid the appearance of a switch. From being in dealer class I can state the boxman must look at it and he will be mostly looking to see if the number on the die matches and for obvious tampering/switching. Think a home plate umpire looking for scuffs after one hits the gorund. It isn't forensic, just a check.

Chances of you knowing and having a crooked die with the same number and color are slim.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 5th, 2011 at 3:41:25 AM permalink
I too used to "hand in" the errant die via dropping it into the layout's extreme edge wherein the dealer or stick could easily get it. Often the crewman will reach for it. They "generally" would prefer a hand to hand exchange of the die since their greatest fear is a player even innocently introducing an unexamined die back into play. If the game has resumed with new dice, they do NOT want three dice on the layout. If the game has not resumed, they do not want that die being used until examined. The die has a "buried" serial number inside it. The box will examine the edges for knicks.

If I am the errant shooter ... Its always "your game, your dice" if they ask if I want the same dice.

Lately, I've come to the conclusion that its best for me to simply indicate where the die has fallen and allow someone else to pick it up.
The crew may think I'm weird but I just no longer want to worry about dice switching accusations.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
May 5th, 2011 at 5:06:38 AM permalink
And the dealers tend to appear somewhat angry if the die from the floor is tossed back in rather than handed to them.

I have a theory:

If the shooter has swapped the dice, and the person picking it up is a teammate, then if the die is tossed from the floor to the table, it gives the shooter the chance to also toss in a die. This will cause confusion about who threw in which die as well as which die is which.

I admit, it's not a great theory, but it's all I got.

This is somewhat supported by the fact that if the die lands on the rail, where they have not lost track of it, then the preference is to just toss it back to the table.

For the record, I too find this inconsistancy rather odd.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁

• Jump to: