Poll

22 votes (91.66%)
2 votes (8.33%)

24 members have voted

darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 261
  • Posts: 8706
June 13th, 2020 at 7:23:01 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: gordonm888

She would agree with my decision and support me. She has sisters living close by and two daughters that would help to take care of her if I was gone.

And my comment was a description of principles and a reminder of how courage has been part of our national story. I wonder why you choose to bring my wife into this particular discussion and make it personal.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question If you were chosen by NASA to go into space for a couple of days, would you do it? Even though it is clear that sometimes things go wrong and everyone on the rocket ship could die?



I'm pretty certain I would be too scared to go but that's me.

I think there is a big difference between taking some chance on an action that is not designed to be deadly (flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, etc) versus deliberately infecting oneself with a virus known to be deadly.

We live life doing things that can go wrong like flying in an airplane. However if we choose to stay home that doesn't avoid danger either. There are home fires, gas leaks, storms that might hit, slipping on your head and shoulders shampoo in the shower, etc.

Living life isn't danger seeking even though danger is around every corner.

Infecting yourself purposefully to win a bet just sounds like a game of Russian Roulette.

If you knew a friend was playing Russian Roulette would your advice be, well hey you might die crossing the street so go right ahead. It's a sound choice?



Russian Roulette... sure.... if there are enough empty chambers. One chamber with a bullet. 999 without. I believe I take the chance for a billion dollars. I wouldn't for 1 with bullet, 99 without. There is a WAY higher chance of me dying within the next year than 1 in 1000.



Clearly you decided it was only worth it with a 100 cylinder gun.

Most Russian roulette examples I have seen are played with a six cylinder revolver. After it's loaded the cylinder is spun.

Playing with multiple people the cylinder is spun after each successful try so the odds don't change.

So 5 empty, 1 loaded? Taking that billion dollar bet
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
Joined: May 20, 2011
  • Threads: 105
  • Posts: 1636
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOOdarkozDeMango
June 13th, 2020 at 7:41:35 AM permalink
I've said many times , and I will say it again. Its all about the money, all of the time. Everyone has a price. Different people have different risk tolerance levels and different values, however at the end of the day, we all have a price on any event.

We all want, we all need, we all desire money. Not because of how pretty multiple 0's looks, but because of the things that money can buy and do for your life and your loved one's lives. They is no shame in desiring money. The priests and nuns that preached money is evil in grade school were just way off target. I understand why they say it... you shouldn't do bad things with it. That is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing I would never do, however, is kill another human. No price in the world.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 8084
June 13th, 2020 at 7:50:44 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: gordonm888

She would agree with my decision and support me. She has sisters living close by and two daughters that would help to take care of her if I was gone.

And my comment was a description of principles and a reminder of how courage has been part of our national story. I wonder why you choose to bring my wife into this particular discussion and make it personal.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question If you were chosen by NASA to go into space for a couple of days, would you do it? Even though it is clear that sometimes things go wrong and everyone on the rocket ship could die?



I'm pretty certain I would be too scared to go but that's me.

I think there is a big difference between taking some chance on an action that is not designed to be deadly (flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, etc) versus deliberately infecting oneself with a virus known to be deadly.

We live life doing things that can go wrong like flying in an airplane. However if we choose to stay home that doesn't avoid danger either. There are home fires, gas leaks, storms that might hit, slipping on your head and shoulders shampoo in the shower, etc.

Living life isn't danger seeking even though danger is around every corner.

Infecting yourself purposefully to win a bet just sounds like a game of Russian Roulette.

If you knew a friend was playing Russian Roulette would your advice be, well hey you might die crossing the street so go right ahead. It's a sound choice?



Russian Roulette... sure.... if there are enough empty chambers. One chamber with a bullet. 999 without. I believe I take the chance for a billion dollars. I wouldn't for 1 with bullet, 99 without. There is a WAY higher chance of me dying within the next year than 1 in 1000.



Clearly you decided it was only worth it with a 100 cylinder gun.

Most Russian roulette examples I have seen are played with a six cylinder revolver. After it's loaded the cylinder is spun.

Playing with multiple people the cylinder is spun after each successful try so the odds don't change.

So 5 empty, 1 loaded? Taking that billion dollar bet



You didn't read my post carefully. I said it was worth it with a 1000 cylinder gun, not a 100 cylinder gun.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 261
  • Posts: 8706
June 13th, 2020 at 8:05:38 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: gordonm888

She would agree with my decision and support me. She has sisters living close by and two daughters that would help to take care of her if I was gone.

And my comment was a description of principles and a reminder of how courage has been part of our national story. I wonder why you choose to bring my wife into this particular discussion and make it personal.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question If you were chosen by NASA to go into space for a couple of days, would you do it? Even though it is clear that sometimes things go wrong and everyone on the rocket ship could die?



I'm pretty certain I would be too scared to go but that's me.

I think there is a big difference between taking some chance on an action that is not designed to be deadly (flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, etc) versus deliberately infecting oneself with a virus known to be deadly.

We live life doing things that can go wrong like flying in an airplane. However if we choose to stay home that doesn't avoid danger either. There are home fires, gas leaks, storms that might hit, slipping on your head and shoulders shampoo in the shower, etc.

Living life isn't danger seeking even though danger is around every corner.

Infecting yourself purposefully to win a bet just sounds like a game of Russian Roulette.

If you knew a friend was playing Russian Roulette would your advice be, well hey you might die crossing the street so go right ahead. It's a sound choice?



Russian Roulette... sure.... if there are enough empty chambers. One chamber with a bullet. 999 without. I believe I take the chance for a billion dollars. I wouldn't for 1 with bullet, 99 without. There is a WAY higher chance of me dying within the next year than 1 in 1000.



Clearly you decided it was only worth it with a 100 cylinder gun.

Most Russian roulette examples I have seen are played with a six cylinder revolver. After it's loaded the cylinder is spun.

Playing with multiple people the cylinder is spun after each successful try so the odds don't change.

So 5 empty, 1 loaded? Taking that billion dollar bet



You didn't read my post carefully. I said it was worth it with a 1000 cylinder gun, not a 100 cylinder gun.



Yep, you are right I didn't even see you wanted a 1000 cylinder gun.

So basically you won't play Russian roulette as it's traditionally done with six cylinders for any amount of money
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 8084
June 13th, 2020 at 8:25:32 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: darkoz

Quote: gordonm888

She would agree with my decision and support me. She has sisters living close by and two daughters that would help to take care of her if I was gone.

And my comment was a description of principles and a reminder of how courage has been part of our national story. I wonder why you choose to bring my wife into this particular discussion and make it personal.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question If you were chosen by NASA to go into space for a couple of days, would you do it? Even though it is clear that sometimes things go wrong and everyone on the rocket ship could die?



I'm pretty certain I would be too scared to go but that's me.

I think there is a big difference between taking some chance on an action that is not designed to be deadly (flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, etc) versus deliberately infecting oneself with a virus known to be deadly.

We live life doing things that can go wrong like flying in an airplane. However if we choose to stay home that doesn't avoid danger either. There are home fires, gas leaks, storms that might hit, slipping on your head and shoulders shampoo in the shower, etc.

Living life isn't danger seeking even though danger is around every corner.

Infecting yourself purposefully to win a bet just sounds like a game of Russian Roulette.

If you knew a friend was playing Russian Roulette would your advice be, well hey you might die crossing the street so go right ahead. It's a sound choice?



Russian Roulette... sure.... if there are enough empty chambers. One chamber with a bullet. 999 without. I believe I take the chance for a billion dollars. I wouldn't for 1 with bullet, 99 without. There is a WAY higher chance of me dying within the next year than 1 in 1000.



Clearly you decided it was only worth it with a 100 cylinder gun.

Most Russian roulette examples I have seen are played with a six cylinder revolver. After it's loaded the cylinder is spun.

Playing with multiple people the cylinder is spun after each successful try so the odds don't change.

So 5 empty, 1 loaded? Taking that billion dollar bet



You didn't read my post carefully. I said it was worth it with a 1000 cylinder gun, not a 100 cylinder gun.



Yep, you are right I didn't even see you wanted a 1000 cylinder gun.

So basically you won't play Russian roulette as it's traditionally done with six cylinders for any amount of money



Oh my God yes. I have been thinking about it, probably more than I should! For a billion I need at least 300 cylinders.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3172
June 13th, 2020 at 9:25:16 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

.SNIP

I think there is a big difference between taking some chance on an action that is not designed to be deadly (flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, etc) versus deliberately infecting oneself with a virus known to be deadly.

We live life doing things that can go wrong like flying in an airplane. However if we choose to stay home that doesn't avoid danger either. There are home fires, gas leaks, storms that might hit, slipping on your head and shoulders shampoo in the shower, etc.

Living life isn't danger seeking even though danger is around every corner.

Infecting yourself purposefully to win a bet just sounds like a game of Russian Roulette.

If you knew a friend was playing Russian Roulette would your advice be, well hey you might die crossing the street so go right ahead. It's a sound choice?



The question we are responding to is a nonsensical hypothetical situation. Criticize the billionaire who would pay me a billion dollars to be infected by Covid-19 and risk death - rather than criticize me for saying that I would choose to be infected for a >90% shot at a billion dollars.

But yes, people volunteer for the military knowing that they may step on a hidden explosive device or may be shot in the head by a sniper in Afghanistan.

In the 1940s, American merchant ships (civilians) sailed to Great Britain with supplies - in order to make a profit - despite a roughly 10% chance of the ship being sunk by German U-boats (submarines.)

Reasonable people can and often do disagree on where the line is between courage and foolhardiness. But let's all agree that courage has always been an essential part of the advancement of mankind. And when we see courage, we usually praise it and admire it.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 11618
June 13th, 2020 at 11:02:13 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The question we are responding to is a nonsensical hypothetical situation. Criticize the billionaire who would pay me a billion dollars to be infected by Covid-19 and risk death - rather than criticize me for saying that I would choose to be infected for a >90% shot at a billion dollars.

But yes, people volunteer for the military knowing that they may step on a hidden explosive device or may be shot in the head by a sniper in Afghanistan.

In the 1940s, American merchant ships (civilians) sailed to Great Britain with supplies - in order to make a profit - despite a roughly 10% chance of the ship being sunk by German U-boats (submarines.)

Reasonable people can and often do disagree on where the line is between courage and foolhardiness. But let's all agree that courage has always been an essential part of the advancement of mankind. And when we see courage, we usually praise it and admire it.



So you think it is an act of courage to step into a casino knowing there is a decent chance you will bring home a deadly infection to a family member. Who can argue with such logic. Or with someone who equates serving their country with being a selfish prig who insists on his right to infect others.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 2767
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOOgordonm888
June 13th, 2020 at 11:37:41 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

So you think it is an act of courage to step into a casino knowing there is a decent chance you will bring home a deadly infection to a family member. Who can argue with such logic. Or with someone who equates serving their country with being a selfish prig who insists on his right to infect others.



You just invented an answer to a question that was never asked.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 7887
June 13th, 2020 at 12:37:46 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO


Oh my God yes. I have been thinking about it, probably more than I should! For a billion I need at least 300 cylinders.



I would defnitely do it with a six cylinder gun.

An 84% chance for a billion dollars and only 16% chance of dead. I like those odds.
Order from chaos
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 181
  • Posts: 1516
June 13th, 2020 at 2:13:58 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would defnitely do it with a six cylinder gun.

An 84% chance for a billion dollars and only 16% chance of dead. I like those odds.



im assuming that since the bullet adds weight to the barrel that it would normally land below most of the time since its not balanced, unless there is some kind of mechanism within the barrel to balance it at all times. im ignorant to guns

  • Jump to: