kubikulann
kubikulann
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 905
July 19th, 2019 at 2:28:23 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Life rewards mediocrity. Thing is when you move into management you really see the dark side. You must sell your soul to move up in almost any organization. You must be willing to charge the hill and lose half your regiment without questioning things.

😄😄😄
I love your metaphor. Can I re-use it or do you have a copyright ?😉

I once was promoted to manager. Dark side really. I quit soon after, I was too disgusted at the despise of workers. And of women.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11690
July 19th, 2019 at 2:55:56 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

😄😄😄
I love your metaphor. Can I re-use it or do you have a copyright ?😉

I once was promoted to manager. Dark side really. I quit soon after, I was too disgusted at the despise of workers. And of women.



Use it if you like, though when people think you are cynical to the point of being dead inside don't say I didn't warn ya! lol

It does take a gradual hardening of the soul. You try to be nice, but you cannot be nice. I remember we bought a company and part of the deal was we kept all the employees. My boss and his staff were talking about who they would clip as our HR guy was onboarding people the very first morning. Eventually they had us doing some half-crooked accounting and I didn't do it. Just said I didn't do it. Got fired about six weeks later. At least I died on my feet instead of living on my knees.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 549
July 20th, 2019 at 4:06:35 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Use it if you like, though when people think you are cynical to the point of being dead inside don't say I didn't warn ya! lol

It does take a gradual hardening of the soul. You try to be nice, but you cannot be nice. I remember we bought a company and part of the deal was we kept all the employees. My boss and his staff were talking about who they would clip as our HR guy was onboarding people the very first morning. Eventually they had us doing some half-crooked accounting and I didn't do it. Just said I didn't do it. Got fired about six weeks later. At least I died on my feet instead of living on my knees.



I agree. My integrity is never for sale.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3634
Thanks for this post from:
mcallister3200
July 20th, 2019 at 4:13:18 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

I agree. My integrity is never for sale.



Did you quit working for the casino?
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
Joined: Apr 11, 2010
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 549
July 20th, 2019 at 4:20:32 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Did you quit working for the casino?



Nope. If I were working somewhere where my integrity and the core values of the organization were not aligned, I would leave. As a matter of fact, I have done.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
Minty
Minty
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 502
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
July 20th, 2019 at 7:48:00 PM permalink
I've met some really kind, genuine and intelligent pit bosses. Many do want the best for their players but like many people in middle management, they have a lot of people to please or at least keep satisfied and as anyone who has supervised or managed before can attest to, it is a great way to burnout and become apathetic. They have players to entertain and confront, dealers to protect and monitor, and the shift managers or even casino manager to appease.

I don't envy them one bit.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11690
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
July 21st, 2019 at 6:12:51 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

I've met some really kind, genuine and intelligent pit bosses. Many do want the best for their players but like many people in middle management, they have a lot of people to please or at least keep satisfied and as anyone who has supervised or managed before can attest to, it is a great way to burnout and become apathetic. They have players to entertain and confront, dealers to protect and monitor, and the shift managers or even casino manager to appease.

I don't envy them one bit.



It's sadly probably one of those jobs that makes you a serf to the casinos for life. Other than general supervision of people, little of it will transfer outside the gaming world. More upward mobility is really hard as you have a crew of pit bosses vying for just a few shift manager positions. But you have move up just enough to get out of the assembly line grind of dealing. You "get" to wear a suit to work every day.

One day your nephew thinks it looks great and asks, "how do you get to do this?" Like many jobs that look cooler to kids than they really are, you think about how you end up there, not "get" to be there.

If you are lucky, you like your house and it likes you. So you retire on that job at that place. Chances are you do not both like each other, business ebbs and flows, and you either leave or are laid off. But in a big casino world you can move about as long as you can get and keep a license. So you are bound to the casinos the way a serf was bound to the land. Neither slave nor free.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

  • Jump to: