linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
November 15th, 2022 at 7:24:19 PM permalink
Curious if anyone has any good bar tricks / riddles

Had a handful I used in college to meet girls

One neat one a magician friend taught me goes like this:

Ask an individual to take the number 5 and place another 5 next to it and say the new number - “55”. Then tell them you want them to start at 5 and add another 5 and say the new number. Ask them to keep doing this out loud until you tell them to stop - ie. “5” “55” “555” etc. ( you may need to explain this part a little by helping them start the sequence). Tell them that you will then tell them to stop and immediately ask them a question and they need to remember the first thing that comes to mind.

So this will basically go:

Me: Please start the count at 5.

Person: 5 , 55 , 555, 5555, etc
(Stop them at 5,555,555)

Me: Think of the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Person: ok

Me: there’s a lot of vegetables so I get two guesses. I think it’s....
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
November 15th, 2022 at 7:25:27 PM permalink
Please try the sequence before looking at next post
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
November 15th, 2022 at 7:28:38 PM permalink
Was the answer carrot 🥕. If not possibly tomato 🍅. Not sure why but frequency on carrot was 60%+. Tomato was probably 10-15%
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
November 15th, 2022 at 7:33:55 PM permalink
There’s a great book from when I was young called Games You Can’t Lose: A Guide For Suckers by Harry Anderson (of Night Court fame). I have very fond memories of the bar bets in there.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
November 15th, 2022 at 7:34:37 PM permalink
Yes. Harry was great.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
November 15th, 2022 at 9:38:55 PM permalink
Pick a number 1-6 and roll 3 dice

Hit your number once, get paid even money
Hit your number twice, get paid 2 to 1
Hit your number three times, get paid 3 to 1

Look, you got three chances at hitting a 1 in 6 event, so that’s a 50% chance of winning the lowest prize. So you as the player have the advantage
It’s all about making that GTA
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 16th, 2022 at 12:19:03 AM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

Was the answer carrot 🥕. If not possibly tomato 🍅. Not sure why but frequency on carrot was 60%+. Tomato was probably 10-15%
link to original post

I thought fennel, so my phone number remains a secret.
(Yes, really.)

NLP is interesting.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
teliot
November 16th, 2022 at 4:55:47 AM permalink

link to original post

The tomato is a fruit not a vegetable.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 20
November 16th, 2022 at 5:16:32 AM permalink
I can’t remember where I heard this one but it is surprising.

Shuffle a deck of cards thoroughly. Let them shuffle the cards if they wish. Let bystanders shuffle the deck. Doesn’t matter. There’s no slight of hand here. Then tell the person you will flip over the cards one by one. If any one card is in the order it would be in a new unshuffled deck, they win. Basically they have 52 opportunities to win. Offer to lay 10:1 against. You can even go up to 15:1 or 20:1.

(From what I recall, the true odds of at least one card matching its correct new deck position are something like 22:1).

I thought this was surprising but presumes that the person is somewhat familiar with the order of cards in a new deck.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 16th, 2022 at 5:22:35 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

SCOTUS would disagree with you!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Joeman
November 16th, 2022 at 5:53:48 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

SCOTUS would disagree with you!
link to original post

Clearly another lie perpetuated by Trump.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
November 16th, 2022 at 8:00:24 AM permalink

link to original post

Being knowledgeable is to know that the tomato is a fruit.

Being wise is to know that no one is going to put tomatoes in a fruit salad.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
November 16th, 2022 at 8:07:49 AM permalink
Isn’t that Tasha/Nathan’s tag line?
Joeman
Joeman
November 16th, 2022 at 8:10:11 AM permalink
There are lots of other vegetables that are also fruits: squash, cucumbers, green beans, eggplant, okra, peppers, etc. Why is it that tomatoes always get singled out?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
November 16th, 2022 at 8:23:30 AM permalink
Believe it or not, there's something called a "culinary vegetable," where something is not botanically a vegetable, but it is used as one in cooking, and may even be considered a vegetable for legal and regulatory purposes. This includes all those things mentioned like tomatoes and cucumbers.
Joeman
Joeman
November 16th, 2022 at 8:36:41 AM permalink
I think the issue is that there isn't really a scientific definition for a vegetable.

Back to bar bets, I always liked this one:

Do a standard "Pick a card, any card" type card trick where the mark picks a card "at random," but you know which one it is. Once you have determined his card, have him shuffle the deck any way he pleases and hand it back to you. Then, ask him questions where the answer is a number (birth date, birth month, age, etc). Whatever his answer for each, count out that number cards and flip them over onto the table/bar.

Keep asking questions until you see his card. Then, bet him that the next card you flip over will be his card. He will usually take the bet because he has already seen his card come out of the deck, and will assume that you screwed up the trick. When he accepts, fish his card out of the exposed pile and turn it over!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 16th, 2022 at 8:57:09 AM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

link to original post

link to original post

I recall when the Feds tried to say ketchup was a vegetable. Regulations called for children receiving free meals to have two vegetables included in the meals. The Reagan administration declared ketchup could be one of the two, and projected saving a billion and a half dollars. It didn't end well.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
November 16th, 2022 at 8:59:28 AM permalink
Easier for school lunches to meet their “vegetable requirement “
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 16th, 2022 at 9:14:38 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

There are lots of other vegetables that are also fruits: squash, cucumbers, green beans, eggplant, okra, peppers, etc. Why is it that tomatoes always get singled out?
link to original post

Just the anti-vegites I think get upset it is a fruit.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2022 at 9:25:27 AM permalink
Bet a drunk a dollar that you can stand on one end of a bar rag, close your eyes and manage to avoid his attempt to slap you in the face.
When he accepts, you walk to the door, put the rag on the threshold, stand on your end and close the door.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 16th, 2022 at 9:25:40 AM permalink

Easier for school lunches to meet their “vegetable requirement “
link to original post

And of course President Nixon's breakfast preference for cottage cheese with vegetables.
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 16th, 2022 at 9:28:56 AM permalink
Quote:

In 2011, Congress passed a bill that barred the USDA from changing its nutritional guidelines for school lunches. The proposed changes[22] would have limited the amount of potatoes allowed in lunches, required more green vegetables, and declared a half-cup of tomato paste to count as a serving of vegetables, rather than the current standard of 2 tablespoons (30 mL). The blocking of these proposed higher standards meant that the smaller amount of tomato paste in pizza could continue to be counted as a vegetable in school lunches.[23] The move resulted in widespread mockery, with headlines saying Congress had declared pizza to be a vegetable. The blocking legislation was criticized heavily, since the change had also been lobbied for by food companies such as ConAgra, and the block was a substantial blow to efforts to make school lunches healthier.[24]

billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2022 at 9:35:27 AM permalink
I'm not sure pizza is a vegetable, but it is certainly one of the major food groups. Add some shrooms and a wheat beer and you have a healthy breakfast.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 16th, 2022 at 11:08:00 AM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

link to original post

link to original post

Great post. The answer is really easy. Wegmans has the tomatoes where the veggies are, not where the fruits are.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
November 16th, 2022 at 2:26:41 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

Shuffle a deck of cards thoroughly. Let them shuffle the cards if they wish. Let bystanders shuffle the deck. Doesn’t matter. There’s no slight of hand here. Then tell the person you will flip over the cards one by one. If any one card is in the order it would be in a new unshuffled deck, they win. Basically they have 52 opportunities to win. Offer to lay 10:1 against. You can even go up to 15:1 or 20:1.

(From what I recall, the true odds of at least one card matching its correct new deck position are something like 22:1).

I thought this was surprising but presumes that the person is somewhat familiar with the order of cards in a new deck.
link to original post

There is a 1 - 1/e =~ 63.2% chance that at least one card will be in it’s original position after shuffling. So the player getting 10:1 has a 595% edge on you !
It’s all about making that GTA
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
November 16th, 2022 at 2:33:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

There is a 1 - 1/e =~ 63.2% chance that at least one card will be in it’s original position after shuffling. So the player getting 10:1 has a 595% edge on you !
link to original post

Yup. 1 - (51/52)^52.

The bet I know of is two have two shuffled decks of cards and to bet the person that at least one card will match rank/suit as you turn them over from both decks one at a time.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 20
November 16th, 2022 at 3:49:40 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Quote: Ace2

link to original post

link to original post

Yup. 1 - (51/52)^52.

The bet I know of is two have two shuffled decks of cards and to bet the person that at least one card will match rank/suit as you turn them over from both decks one at a time.
link to original post

Thank you. I must have misremembered the bet. Glad I never offered it to anyone as I remembered it.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2022 at 5:42:48 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm not sure pizza is a vegetable, but it is certainly one of the major food groups. Add some shrooms and a wheat beer and you have a healthy breakfast.
link to original post

Pizza was always presented as a "square meal" when I was a kid if you had some kind of meat topping. As to school lunches that reg seems to go back to Reagan Admin and it being misrepresented as saying "ketchup is a vegetable." What happened was they had to classify it and since it is almost all tomato well there you classify it. While not the most efficient way to get your veggie serving that is where it goes. Ditto any spaghetti sauce.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2022 at 5:43:36 AM permalink
At the bar ask if they know the three females in "Cool Hand Luke" and the one in "Glengarry Glen Ross." Few will get them all.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
SOOPOO
November 17th, 2022 at 6:19:52 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

At the bar ask if they know the three females in "Cool Hand Luke" and the one in "Glengarry Glen Ross." Few will get them all.
link to original post

I think most of the people at bars where I hang out at would say "I have never seen nor heard of either of them". I haven't seen them but at least I have heard of them.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2022 at 7:26:34 AM permalink

link to original post

I think most of the people at bars where I hang out at would say "I have never seen nor heard of either of them". I haven't seen them but at least I have heard of them.
link to original post

Tell them to start watching good movies! Both are "Guys must watch" movies.
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2022 at 8:13:59 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Tell them to start watching good movies! Both are "Guys must watch" movies.
link to original post

Sadly, most people at bars today care more about Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and the Kardashians.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 17th, 2022 at 8:20:14 AM permalink

Sadly, most people at bars today care more about Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and the Kardashians.
link to original post

And movies made within the last 30 years.
billryan
billryan
November 17th, 2022 at 8:33:25 AM permalink
I loved Glengarry...., and told my Mom and sister about it. I thought my sister would like anything with Al Pacino but they both hated it. I went to see it on broadway in a revival and thought it was rather mediocre.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2022 at 9:57:25 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I loved Glengarry...., and told my Mom and sister about it. I thought my sister would like anything with Al Pacino but they both hated it. I went to see it on broadway in a revival and thought it was rather mediocre.
link to original post

You kind of have to be a guy or/and have had to have been in sales to really get Glengarry. People never in that life just do not get how salesmen live and die by the leads. How cutthroat it all is. As to Broadway, well, if you saw the movie with its star power first then any other version will be a letdown.

"Cool Hand Luke" and Glengarry are classic movies. Any guy prefers the Kardashians and I will personally repo his man card.
Deucekies
Deucekies
  • Threads: 57
November 17th, 2022 at 3:23:27 PM permalink
"What's the correct way to pronounce the capital of Kentucky?"

Watch them trip over "Lewis-ville", "Louie-ville", "Loo-vull", etc.

Then say you prefer to pronounce it...

"Frankfurt".
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2022 at 3:33:32 PM permalink
Quote: Deucekies

"What's the correct way to pronounce the capital of Kentucky?"

Watch them trip over "Lewis-ville", "Louie-ville", "Loo-vull", etc.

Then say you prefer to pronounce it...

"Frankfurt".

link to original post

I fell for it
  • Jump to: