Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 12:57:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I agree with Bob. As I get older I use less and less of the house. 90% of my awake time in my house is spent in my bedroom.

My bedroom is my living room. I have a shelf that swings out over the bed that has my laptop on it. I have a big screen TV mounted on the wall at the end of the bed and I'm happy as a clam. I have a big screen TV in the living room but I haven't turned it on in 6 months and I don't have cable anymore anyway. I use nothing but pay-for-play networks like Netflix, Prime, Peacock, Paramount, and I watch a lot of YouTube.. No food of any kind allowed in the bedroom, I'm not going down that eating in bed routine at my age.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:03:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I agree. I currently live in a big old farmhouse with five bedrooms and three full baths plus a water closet. I use the living room, my bedroom and the kitchen.

It also saves me on air conditioning because I only cool the two rooms with small window units. And they're never turned on at the same time. Why air condition the rest of the house when I don't use it. In the winter I have the thermostat set at 62 and I heat the two rooms I use with portable oil space heaters. Works really well and is very efficient. I usually like it about 68 in here in the winter and in the summer.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
August 10th, 2021 at 1:05:29 PM permalink
These are all interesting observations.

I agree, but I don't know if I'm really in a position to agree. I've always been a minimalist; I've never collected anything and I have always preferred small places. The only aspect of my housing that concerns me is that I want the kitchen to be at least reasonable in size because I'm all over the place when I cook.

I owned a house once. Full 3/2, almost a half acre of land, detached garage and a small attached garage. Enough total driveway parking for four cars. Big basement. Sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked and sucked. The only thing I liked about it was when I had a garden and I guess my brick burn pit was kind of okay. I almost never used either of the garages for anything, except the detached garage was full a bunch of crap that was already there when I moved in. I did put a couch in there thinking I'd turn it into something, but never did.

The attached garage had a door that led to the basement and was, literally, completely empty. The basement was also mostly empty, pretty much was, but for Christmas stuff boxes, washer/dryer and some old unusual looking piece of furniture that I didn't even know what its purpose was. I ended up burning it in the burn-pit. I think it was some kind of really old writing desk, or some bullcrap like that.

The second best part of getting divorced was eventually getting to be rid of that stupid house.

ADDED: There was also some kind of really old chest in the living room when we moved in. I burnt that, as well.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:06:41 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It also saves me on air conditioning because I only cool the two rooms with small window units. And they're never turned on at the same time. Why air condition the rest of the house when I don't use it. In the winter I have the thermostat set at 62 and I heat the two rooms I use with portable oil space heaters. Works really well and is very efficient. I usually like it about 68 in here in the winter and in the summer.

I would have frost bite if I spent much time in 68 degree weather. Too me 78 to 80 is perfect indoor temperature.
Order from chaos
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
August 10th, 2021 at 1:08:04 PM permalink
I agree with EvenBob and keep the indoor temperature at 68 year round.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:13:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I agree with EvenBob and keep the indoor temperature at 68 year round.

I get it, we are all different. If I had to choose one temperature year round it would be 78. I am sitting in my office right now and it is 76 and I am chilly. My skinny little chicken bone arms and legs get cold so easily. My trunk rarely gets cold.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:27:46 PM permalink
I have my AC set at 80 and mostly use my living room ceiling fan for comfort.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:30:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I have my AC set at 80 and mostly use my living room ceiling fan for comfort.

That is a good point. I also have ceiling fans in 9 of my rooms.
Order from chaos
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 270
Mission146unJon
August 10th, 2021 at 1:31:47 PM permalink
The mother of my two only children passed away
last Wednesday at the age of 53 after a five year battle with lung cancer.

In her entire lifetime she smoked zero cigarettes. Took no drugs. Didn't drink.

As EB says, life isn't fair!

She was accepted into the cancer basket trial for Leronlimab. I worked hard to get her into it. Lots of medical records sent back and forth

Her current husband felt it was quack science like a few posters on here. He talked her out of it and she never got a single treatment of Leronlimab.

And now she's dead. Maybe the treatment would not have worked. We will never know now!
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
Mission146
August 10th, 2021 at 1:35:44 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

The mother of my two only children passed away
last Wednesday at the age of 53 after a five year battle with lung cancer.

In her entire lifetime she smoked zero cigarettes. Took no drugs. Didn't drink.

As EB says, life isn't fair!

She was accepted into the cancer basket trial for Leronlimab. I worked hard to get her into it. Lots of medical records sent back and forth

Her current husband felt it was quack science like a few posters on here. He talked her out of it and she never got a single treatment of Leronlimab.

And now she's dead. Maybe the treatment would not have worked. We will never know now!

Wow, very sad. I hope your children are dealing with it as best as possible.
Order from chaos

• Jump to: