EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
August 6th, 2019 at 10:27:54 AM permalink
Bill Bryson has a very funny and interesting
book about him traveling around the country
in the late 80's. It's reminiscent of Steinbeck's
book Travels With Charley in 1960. With one
big difference. Steinbeck made his book up,
it's fiction that he published as non fiction.

He started out with good intentions but
soon realized, hey, this is totally uncomfortable
sleeping in the pickup truck camper, and the
people I'm seeing are boring as hell. So he
stayed in hotels and wrote the book from
there. On weekends he would get a room in
the best hotel in town, his wife would fly
in, and they would wine and dine and see
shows. And he would fake the book.

We had to read it in HS, it won awards and
was a huge best seller. All made up by the
author, a complete fiction. That didn't come out
till he's been dead for decades. I've been looking
at my 40 year old copy and it's very good.
But Bryson never met people half as interesting
on his journey because his were real, and not
a bunch of lies.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
August 8th, 2019 at 3:31:38 AM permalink
A Brit who has been very successful with Waterstones books in England is coming here to try and save Barnes and Noble who appears to be on its last legs
I was a supervisor at Borders Books when Amazon beat them up
there are a few small niche bookstores doing well in the U.S. now

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/books/watersones-barnes-and-noble-james-daunt.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2019 at 9:46:27 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I checked it out at Amazon, read reviews
and looked inside a coupe. Just ordered
11 of them from Ebay, $20, free shipping.

Got these today and some others.
Looking forward to diving in tonight.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
August 8th, 2019 at 11:21:18 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

A Brit who has been very successful with Waterstones books in England is coming here to try and save Barnes and Noble who appears to be on its last legs
I was a supervisor at Borders Books when Amazon beat them up
there are a few small niche bookstores doing well in the U.S. now

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/books/watersones-barnes-and-noble-james-daunt.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Wow, people still buy books. How stupid can you be. What a waste of money. Only morons buy books.
I love to read
Haven't bought a book in years. Why spend extra money on books when you are already buying a ton of books with your tax dollars.
I have my kindle hooked up to my local library that I support with my tax dollars.
I literally have a gazillion choices.
Use an app called overdrive to borrow books from my library and downloaded on my kindle
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2019 at 11:35:10 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, people still buy books. How stupid can you be. What a waste of money. Only morons buy books.

Seriously? Insult all the book
buyers because you like Kindle?
I loathe Kindle, eye strain galore.
And I love the sight of books
filling my shelves. One of my
fave authors went on and on
in an interview on how he hates
Kindle.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Aug 8, 2019
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 24
August 8th, 2019 at 11:36:35 AM permalink
Didn't know about that.

I also recently found out that the LA public library has a free streaming service with some pretty good selections.

However, if I'm at home I strongly prefer a real book to kindle. Kindle is just for traveling, or occasionally a very boring poker table.
theoriemeister
theoriemeister
  • Threads: 25
August 8th, 2019 at 12:06:53 PM permalink
I'm mostly a fiction reader, especially historical fiction. Bernard Cornwell is probably my favorite author of this genre, but I'm open to other types. (I've read tons of Stephen King.)

Currently I'm reading The Mueller Report. After this, it's on to Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World.
ars longa vita brevis
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
Thanks for this post from:
rawtuff
August 8th, 2019 at 12:08:26 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I love to read
Haven't bought a book in years. Why spend extra money on books when you are already buying a ton of books with your tax dollars.
I have my kindle hooked up to my local library that I support with my tax dollars.
I literally have a gazillion choices.
Use an app called overdrive to borrow books from my library and downloaded on my kindle

I'm going to ASSUME, given that you were responding to a report about B&N trying to save their Brick and Mortar business, that you were not directing this at many of the people who like real books in this thread. I'm one of them, and I found it pretty rude as a "moron" who finds staring at backlit screens very hard on my old, weak eyes.

I support my library with tax dollars, book drives, and donations. I had Overdrive for a couple years and found it ponderous and irritating, though some of that is from bizzaro licensing agreements on ebooks.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 8
August 8th, 2019 at 12:26:33 PM permalink
This is a great thread. Iím constantly reading at least one book. Mix of historical fiction, speculative fiction, pop sci and biography. Some great books mentioned in this thread already.

Babs, the new Kindle Paperwhites are frontlit not backlit so much easier on the eyes. Just FYI.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
August 8th, 2019 at 12:33:25 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

This is a great thread. Iím constantly reading at least one book. Mix of historical fiction, speculative fiction, pop sci and biography. Some great books mentioned in this thread already.

Babs, the new Kindle Paperwhites are frontlit not backlit so much easier on the eyes. Just FYI.

Thanks, unJon. I might look into something like that. I have an original Nook, which has no light , and still love it. I haven't tried to upgrade because of the eyestrain issue.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: