5 votes (35.71%)
7 votes (50%)
2 votes (14.28%)

14 members have voted

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 23rd, 2010 at 4:18:10 AM permalink
Well, the wizard "did it", I can see I'll be spending plenty of time playing Dice Wars.

We can discuss that game if anyone else is playing. In the meantime, answer the poll if you will, I checked #4 as this fits me best.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
September 23rd, 2010 at 1:52:32 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Well, the wizard "did it", I can see I'll be spending plenty of time playing Dice Wars.

We can discuss that game if anyone else is playing. In the meantime, answer the poll if you will, I checked #4 as this fits me best.

Awesome game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 24th, 2010 at 2:37:40 PM permalink
I only played once, but I got the sense that the CPU has a set threshold of risk through the entire game. I think this dooms the CPU to fairly boring, predictable play. Has anyone seen the computer do something surprising?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 24th, 2010 at 3:06:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I only played once, but I got the sense that the CPU has a set threshold of risk through the entire game. I think this dooms the CPU to fairly boring, predictable play. Has anyone seen the computer do something surprising?

For a computer war game, I think it plays better than most. It seems to have a good balance of offense and defense, a bit too offensive if you ask me. It usually correctly goes after the biggest threat. One area where is it is weak is not organizing a turn before starting. For example, if it can attack a territory with either 4 or 8 dice, it seems to pick randomly. Still, it is easy to beat. After several games one gets a feel for proper strategy.

This would be a good game to make a real player vs. player game over. Question for the field, how many players do you prefer? I like the full 8. Another interesting question would be what number would maximize your odds of winning. I'd probably go with 4.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ericayne
Ericayne
  • Threads: 0
September 24th, 2010 at 3:36:44 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This would be a good game to make a real player vs. player game over. Question for the field, how many players do you prefer? I like the full 8. Another interesting question would be what number would maximize your odds of winning. I'd probably go with 4.

Boy....would this be FUN to play vs. other forum members here!! Think of the possibilities...you could make secret alliances with other members via private messages....then back-stab them later on!! THAT would be FUN!!!

I agree...between 4-5 players gives me the best success ratio.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 25th, 2010 at 7:45:21 AM permalink
found this again

one claim on the internet is that this is a combination of Risk and Yahtzee. Never played Yahtzee myself, so don't know if that is accurate.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 25th, 2010 at 9:15:03 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

found this again

one claim on the internet is that this is a combination of Risk and Yahtzee. Never played Yahtzee myself, so don't know if that is accurate.

I don't see the comparison to Yahtzee. Comparisons to Risk are very appropriate.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: