Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
September 7th, 2010 at 2:31:52 PM permalink
Anyone interested in a game of "postal" chess? We'll submit our moves here, preferably at least one move per day per player. If I had a rating, I estimate it would be about 1,300. So I can hold my own among recreational players, but a real chess buff would kill me, which has happened often. Anyone accepting my challenge should know proper notation, be in my general range, and promise to not use a computer for help. I'll accept one or two challengers. If you accept, go ahead and make the first move in your reply.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
September 7th, 2010 at 2:38:29 PM permalink
chess and lunch this week then?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 7th, 2010 at 2:51:04 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

chess and lunch this week then?

Sure!
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 8th, 2010 at 2:19:03 AM permalink
1. b4
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 8th, 2010 at 2:45:39 AM permalink
I am a longtime game player on the internet. Chess, however, that I'm rusty at.

Believe me, today you want to take advantage of software aids. If you do not, you will discover you have been making your moves on one board, while your opponent has a different board going [due to someone's error]. This an aggravatingly large percentage of the time anyway.

I havent used the below software aid, but it looks good to me. I have played against the computer, a different link. These things are free.

http://www.chess.com/echess/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 8th, 2010 at 6:33:32 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

1. b4

1. b4 e5

Quote: odiousgambit

Believe me, today you want to take advantage of software aids. If you do not, you will discover you have been making your moves on one board, while your opponent has a different board going [due to someone's error]. This an aggravatingly large percentage of the time anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've played posted chess several times before, and don't recall any discrepancies.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
September 8th, 2010 at 7:04:00 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

1. b4 e5

I have one lifetime rated game playing 1. b4. It was against a 2450 USCF player and represents the highest rated player I have had a draw with. I also played one postal game with it as white -- that represents one of my two lifetime losses in postal chess. All of this is c. 1990 for me.

Back in 1990, PC computers were just starting to come into mainstream use. They were no-doubt used by lower level postal chess enthusiasts, but the expert level (and above) players gained no value from them.

Looking forward to what's to follow ...

So, do you mind if the peanut gallery makes post-hoc comments?

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
September 8th, 2010 at 7:44:04 AM permalink
Hi Wizard,

May I make an alternative suggestion. Can you post a chess program within the WoV website, so that when you're online users can challenge you to a game or each other for that matter? I think that'd be cool.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 8th, 2010 at 7:12:30 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

So, do you mind if the peanut gallery makes post-hoc comments?

If the comments were truly limited to past moves, and not make suggestions for future moves, I guess it would be okay. However, I'm sure some remarks would tred into a grey area. My play is not good enough to warrant commentary anyway, except perhaps as a lesson on my mistakes.

Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

May I make an alternative suggestion. Can you post a chess program within the WoV website, so that when you're online users can challenge you to a game or each other for that matter? I think that'd be cool.

If there were a huge demand, I'd think about it.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 9th, 2010 at 2:14:07 AM permalink

1. b4 e5

Quote: odiousgambit

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've played posted chess several times before, and don't recall any discrepancies.

1. b4 e5
2. Bb2

Woody Allen wrote a hilarious short story about two stubborn postal chess players who got their game mixed up but kept playing on anyway, and each wound up mating the other on the same move.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 9th, 2010 at 3:49:29 AM permalink

My play is not good enough to warrant commentary anyway, except perhaps as a lesson on my mistakes.

I find understanding what exactly happened to me when playing someone better often to be quite mysterious in chess.

why don't I post the position once in a while? I have the software, and actually can probably find something better than this if I try a little harder.

1. b4 e5
2. Bb2
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: