Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 18th, 2019 at 8:11:21 PM permalink
I think that's a better guess than mine, TDG.

Is yours

Hail Columbia?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 38
December 18th, 2019 at 11:32:24 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Sleigh Ride, by Leroy Anderson. Whenever the Boston Pops is shown performing it at a holiday concert, they get Santa Claus to do the whip crack sound effect.

Jingling, ring tingle tingling winner!!

Another non Christmas song absorbed by the holiday, singers will often tweak the lyrics and turn the birthday party at Farmer Gray's into a Christmas party. "Sleigh Ride" became a signature song of the Boston Pops and its 1949 recording is the definitive instrumental version of the tune. Most people think that either Johnny Mathis or the Ronettes have the definitive vocal version.

----------------------------------

And now, in the category "Folk", name that song...

The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
December 19th, 2019 at 4:25:00 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quote: Ayecarumba

...take me to Funky Town?

This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.

This made me think of the recent

Quote:

Back to "Gambling":

He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He don't play for respect

He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of a probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance

Although the artist is well known, this song may have been too obscure. However, I think it is one of Sting's best efforts. Maybe it's just that I like the card playing references!

It is Shape of My Heart by sting. I don't recall it getting that much airtime, but it was featured as the end credits roll in the film The Professional starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a very young Natalie Portman.

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
December 19th, 2019 at 5:17:34 AM permalink

Quote: ThatDonGuy

Sleigh Ride, by Leroy Anderson. Whenever the Boston Pops is shown performing it at a holiday concert, they get Santa Claus to do the whip crack sound effect.

Jingling, ring tingle tingling winner!!

Another non Christmas song absorbed by the holiday, singers will often tweak the lyrics and turn the birthday party at Farmer Gray's into a Christmas party. "Sleigh Ride" became a signature song of the Boston Pops and its 1949 recording is the definitive instrumental version of the tune. Most people think that either Johnny Mathis or the Ronettes have the definitive vocal version.

And now, in the category "Folk", name that song...

The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast
The slow one now will later be fast
As the present now will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last

for the times, they are a changin’.
NO KILL I
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 19th, 2019 at 10:41:25 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

...take me to Funky Town?

This is another song that keeps getting used in films and on TV and so is continuously introduced to new generations.

This made me think of the recent

Although the artist is well known, this song may have been too obscure. However, I think it is one of Sting's best efforts. Maybe it's just that I like the card playing references!

It is Shape of My Heart by sting. I don't recall it getting that much airtime, but it was featured as the end credits roll in the film The Professional starring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, and a very young Natalie Portman.

This tune was used in a close up magic video in this thread

Edit: The link to the video in the old thread was dead, but thanks to the internet, a poor copy of the performance is here:

I'll have to go back and watch the end of "The Professional" again. I didn't notice this song there the many times I have watched the film.
Last edited by: Ayecarumba on Dec 19, 2019
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
December 19th, 2019 at 4:33:19 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think that's a better guess than mine, TDG.

Is yours

Hail Columbia?

No.

Hint: when it is used in the USA, it is usually in a setting that has nothing whatsoever to do with the lyrics.

Gialmere
Gialmere
December 19th, 2019 at 5:19:01 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Ding! Ding! Correct!!

One clever thing about this Dylan classic is that he paints the lyrics in such broad strokes the song always seems to feel applicable. Also, depending on their circumstances, listeners might relate to either the person giving the warning or to the people receiving it.

And now, in the category "Christmas", name that song...

This film Christmas song originally contained the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..." but was changed by the writer in 1957 at the request of Frank Sinatra in order to make it more cheerful. Now most artists use the Sinatra lyric.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 19th, 2019 at 5:58:02 PM permalink

Quote: Mosca

Ding! Ding! Correct!!

One clever thing about this Dylan classic is that he paints the lyrics in such broad strokes the song always seems to feel applicable. Also, depending on their circumstances, listeners might relate to either the person giving the warning or to the people receiving it.

This film Christmas song originally contained the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow..." but was changed by the writer in 1957 at the request of Frank Sinatra in order to make it more cheerful. Now most artists use the Sinatra lyric.

“Let it Snow”?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Gialmere
Gialmere
December 19th, 2019 at 11:47:04 PM permalink

“Let it Snow”?

Sorry, no.

"How" rymes with "bough".
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
December 20th, 2019 at 4:18:13 AM permalink

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. The line was replaced by "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough."
Last edited by: Joeman on Dec 20, 2019
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: