Raiders
Steelers
Chargers
49ers
Buccaneers
Titans
Redskins

Quote: darnits

I'm gonna say that this list is incomplete...Being an unfortunate Buffalo Bills fan, the team is named after 1945 AAFC team who had the name Buffalo Bills. This team took their name from a popular barbershop quartet, who in turn took their name from Buffalo Bill Cody.

I did some checking, and you are correct that the Bills trace their name to Buffalo Bill Cody. The revised list is now 18 teams long.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
December 7th, 2010 at 6:00:52 PM permalink
Now I'm confused on this one. Didn't both Mr. Cody and the hometown of the Bills take their names from an incorrect term for the American bison? Doesn't that imply that the team name is derived from an animal? What was the original question anyway?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 7th, 2010 at 6:21:07 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Now I'm confused on this one. Didn't both Mr. Cody and the hometown of the Bills take their names from an incorrect term for the American bison? Doesn't that imply that the team name is derived from an animal? What was the original question anyway?

The original question:

Quote: Ayecarumba

Off the top of your head (of course), how many NFL teams are NOT named after animals?

Although the name of the city is derived from, "the incorrect term for the American bison", the team name is actually "Bills" after Bill Cody.

As an aside, the 1940's team from Buffalo was actually named the "Buffalo Bisons". According to a team history, the 1960's AFL team was named after Bill Cody as a result of an entry in a, "Name the Team" contest.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
December 7th, 2010 at 6:32:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Another county you rarely hear about -- Papua New Guinea. What is going on over there? I can't think of a single time I've heard the name of the country mentioned anywhere.

Well, it's dirt-poor, it isn't very densely populated, and many people think it's part of Indonesia.

I expect a lot of WWII veterans would be able to find it on a map, as it figured prominently in the Pacific War; Port Moresby was the target of a Japanese invasion fleet in May 1942, and its capture would have give the Japanese a forward base from which to invade Australia. The American fleet, in Battle of the Coral Sea, held them off, but that battle so weakened the fleet that it was only with tremendous good luck that it was able to hold off the subsequent Japanese assault on Midway.

So the place was at least BRIEFLY important...
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 9th, 2010 at 7:56:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Another county you rarely hear about -- Papua New Guinea. What is going on over there? I can't think of a single time I've heard the name of the country mentioned anywhere.

Here is a good trivia question involving PNG, "What do Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica and Papua New Guinea have in common?"
Hint: The question refers to something about government.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 9th, 2010 at 8:01:36 PM permalink
Their head of state is Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Also, Papua New Guinea is supposed to have the largest concentration of unique languages in the world. It's paradise for ethnolinguists. A lot of the languages are dying out, though.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 9th, 2010 at 11:56:27 PM permalink
Good answer. I tried to include enough realms to give it away.

Trivia (don't look it up)- Who was the first person to use the title "Defender of the Faith" and who gave him that title?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 10th, 2010 at 9:28:07 AM permalink
I will make an educated guess and say Henry VIII and Cardinal Wolsey, but I just watched 'The Tudors.'
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear 
  • Threads: 178
December 10th, 2010 at 9:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Their head of state is ...

If the question was, "What is the reigning monarch's full title?", it would have prompted me to watch King Ralph.

I LOVE that movie, particularly his address to parliment near the end.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
pacomartin
pacomartin
December 13th, 2010 at 11:18:32 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I will make an educated guess and say Henry VIII and Cardinal Wolsey, but I just watched 'The Tudors.'

Henry VIII is correct, but he was given the title by the pope when he was a young man. The title was awarded for Henry's writings in defense of Catholicism and against the new Protestantism. As an older man, Henry VIII was excommunicated as was his daughter Elizabeth I.

I find it ironic that the monarchy kept and actively use the title of "Defender of the Faith" for the last 500 years despite it having come from a pope. Charles may change it to either "Defender of Faith" or "Defender of the Faiths" so that it is more ecumenical.

• Jump to: